B
It still shouldn’t bounce all the way off at a 600 yard elk whistle

Semper Fi
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well, it took a bit, but I found my mistake. When making an updated chart, I saw and used the “corrected BC” from a previous chart. Dumb ……I know! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by beretzs

Maybe not…..but it’s still embarrassing and very disappointing! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The correct chart……..a huge difference! 🤦‍♂️ memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just a few words of warning. 1. If you're thinking of re-barreling a Model 70 from .338 Win Mag to a .375 Ackley, Improved etc, you need to ensure that the stock that is on the rifle will take the increased recoil. The .338 wood stocks have one recoil lug and one-cross bolt. The .375's have two cross-bolts and are made heavier from the factory and that is just for a standard .375 H & H. Many stocks will eventually split with that increased recoil. 2. The .375 H & H is right at the upper end of where most hunters can shoot well due to recoil. Everyone thinks they can shoot a more powerful cartridge than the .375 H & H well, but very few actually can. Anything more powerful compromises most hunters' ability to shoot dangerous game well. 3. The .375 H & H is very popular partly because it feeds so well due to the sloping shoulder and narrow shoulder and tapered case. On dangerous game, that is an important attribute. Just sayin'...no need to shoot the messenger.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Just a few words of warning. 1. If you're thinking of re-barreling a Model 70 from .338 Win Mag to a .375 Ackley, Improved etc, you need to ensure that the stock that is on the rifle will take the increased recoil. The .338 wood stocks have one recoil lug and one-cross bolt. The .375's have two cross-bolts and are made heavier from the factory and that is just for a standard .375 H & H. Many stocks will eventually split with that increased recoil. 2. The .375 H & H is right at the upper end of where most hunters can shoot well due to recoil. Everyone thinks they can shoot a more powerful cartridge than the .375 H & H well, but very few actually can. Anything more powerful compromises most hunters' ability to shoot dangerous game well. 3. The .375 H & H is very popular partly because it feeds so well due to the sloping shoulder and narrow shoulder and tapered case. On dangerous game, that is an important attribute. Just sayin'...no need to shoot the messenger.

You are correct is all aspects…… and 2 or 3 hundred feet of extra velocity adds a bunch of additional recoil, especially so in the lighter .338 format. My rifle at 9 pounds is the same weight as my wife’s synthetic stocked .338 WM, and kicks pretty hard!

If the shooter goes with a good synthetic stock, that should alleviate the stock splitting issue. memtb

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I dunno Scotty. Elk are armor plated....

Guy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Riflehunter

Good thoughts! I've had two 375's, a Model 70 and a Ruger Number One. Both were great rifles, I kept the Number One. Toyed briefly with the idea of "improving" it and decided it was just fine as a standard 375 H&H with good handloads. It's enough for me.

Regards, Guy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CZ550
Originally Posted by memtb
Bugger, The LRX’s are marginally slower….but have improved BC! Here’s my numbers, though the cold weather numbers may be a bit lower. memtb

According to Barnes the 270 LRX BC is .449 not 541.

And lower the temps in fall- early winter to 40* or less in this area at 1200 feet ele. At 3100 fps is good for 500 - 550 yds for expansion.(+2000 fps)

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

If that is the case, the .424 of the 250 vs the .449 of the 270 would keep me using the 250 version.

I would agree - so I'll continue using the 250 TTSX.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by memtb
Bugger, The LRX’s are marginally slower….but have improved BC! Here’s my numbers, though the cold weather numbers may be a bit lower. memtb

According to Barnes the 270 LRX BC is .449 not 541.

And lower the temps in fall- early winter to 40* or less in this area at 1200 feet ele. At 3100 fps is good for 500 - 550 yds for expansion.(+2000 fps)

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

If that is the case, the .424 of the 250 vs the .449 of the 270 would keep me using the 250 version.

I would agree - so I'll continue using the 250 TTSX.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

I hate “light for caliber” bullets …..even in the monos. With the 270’s, the velocity and energy gains may not be much @ 8 or 900 yards, plus they’re also shooting great…..so, I’ll stay with them!

I only went to the 250’s after waiting years for Barnes to make a heavier, high BC bullet…..finally gave up, and bought a bunch of 250’s. Then, within a few years……Barnes brings out the 270 LRX’s 🤬. Seems I can’t win!

If I run out and can’t get any before I die…..I still have a bunch of 250’s to fall back on, and I still have the load data! 😉 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/17/24.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Cascade

Guy

HA! I guess so. It is pretty cool to see what everyone uses for elk though.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Cascade

Guy

HA! I guess so. It is pretty cool to see what everyone uses for elk though.

Not limited to elk…..it will offer adequate performance for deer, antelope, and the occasional coyote! It’s pretty a darn good choice for general hunting……maybe not so much for extreme range! 😉 memtb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
According to these charts and sighting the rifle in at 2.5” high at 100 yards. The load with a 250TTSX at 3,000 fps should be “point blank” to 300 yards. That is just point where you want the bullet to hit +/- 3”.
Should be good for a fellow with one gun.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
According to these charts and sighting the rifle in at 2.5” high at 100 yards. The load with a 250TTSX at 3,000 fps should be “point blank” to 300 yards. That is just point where you want the bullet to hit +/- 3”.

That's exactly how mine is set up.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bugger

That's exactly how mine is set up.

Same here….. we (wife and I) have used a 300 yard zero on our hunting rifles for many years. Our rifles have pretty similar ballistics.

The “only” possible negative is overshooting small animals (fox, coyotes, ect.) at around 160 to 180 yards or so. If you’re cognizant of that and compensate by holding a bit low…..ya have a dead varmint! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/19/24.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I shoot 235 gr. Barnes xbt bullets out of my model 70 Winchester stainless classic. I still have a good stock of the 235's , Barnes quit making them quite a while ago. Bastards. My rifle likes them the best, the 270 gr.'s run a close second. I've recovered just 2 bullets, one out of a Shiras moose and the other out of my biggest bull elk. Perfect spread petals.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just sent a fellow some 35 Barnes xbt bullets and threw in a partial box of 235 grain 375 bullets. PM me and I’ll get you his info.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
👍 This is how we can help fellow shooters….Kudos! memtb

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My most recent load is with Barnes 270 grain LRX’s pushed to 3100 mv from a 24” barrel. I need to go out sometime soon at near zero temperatures to determine my velocity loss due to low temperatures!

I got the same speed with a 270 TSX in a Mod 700 BDL SS 24" 375 H&H reamed to the 375 Weatherby. It was one wickedly flat shooter! It reminded me of the 340 Weatherby for sure. I was influenced by reading about Hal Waugh (sp?) the Bear Guide in Alaska. He claimed he always had his 375 H&Hs rechambered to get more speed for the 270 he liked to use on Bears. I was privileged to take a few head of game with the 375 H&H with Barnes 235 X, the 300 Sierra SBT, and the 270 FailSafe. No doubt it is a real killer, but with monos, no bloodshot meat (to speak of) I also must mention that I too am a big follower/reader of JOC and I always remember him saying "every Rifleman should own/use the 375 H&H in his lifetime", or something like that. Well, there ya go! i don't own one now, but love them anyway.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 01/20/24.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
My most recent load is with Barnes 270 grain LRX’s pushed to 3100 mv from a 24” barrel. I need to go out sometime soon at near zero temperatures to determine my velocity loss due to low temperatures!

I got the same speed with a 270 TSX in a Mod 700 BDL SS 24" 375 H&H reamed to the 375 Weatherby. It was one wickedly flat shooter! It reminded me of the 340 Weatherby for sure. I was influenced by reading about Hal Waugh (sp?) the Bear Guide in Alaska. He claimed he always had his 375 H&Hs rechambered to get more speed for the 270 he liked to use on Bears. I was privileged to take a few head of game with the 375 H&H with Barnes 235 X, the 300 Sierra SBT, and the 270 FailSafe. No doubt it is a real killer, but with monos, no bloodshot meat (to speak of) I also must mention that I too am a big follower/reader of JOC and I always remember him saying "every Rifleman should own/use the 375 H&H in his lifetime", or something like that. Well, there ya go! i don't own one now, but love them anyway.

Believe it or not, I just shot mine across the chronograph this morning….temperature was 30 F. I was supposed to get out when it was near zero…..didn’t get it done! 🤬 I got an average of 3018 for 3 shots. A pretty substantial velocity loss from 90+ F, which I expected as I’m loading with RL 17……not recognized as a temperature stable powder. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/20/24.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (2alphas2, 2500HD, 160user, 3333vl, 257 mag, 38 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,498
Posts18,472,211
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.