Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JNB86 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
New guy. I'm seeing similar threads in this section, so I hope this question is in the right section. If not... give me some time and I'll get everything figured out.

Anyways, I'm currently in the preliminary research phase of building a completely custom, 100% U.S. made and manufactured, multipurpose, bolt gun. My goal is to build a rifle (dare I use the term?) �tactical� in nature that is not only a very capable long range target gun, but also a powerful multi-game hunting rifle. As stated above, I am after long range accuracy; however, reliability is of the utmost importance to me. I need a rifle that will feed and eject every time that I ask it to; one that is able to stand up to prolonged and rugged field use; and finally, one that will stand the test of time and eventually become an heirloom. Because of all of these requirements I have been leaning towards a Model 70 type action; however, this is where I start to run into issues. Because I am trying to build a fully custom tactical rifle, I am having a hard time finding the right action. I have searched and searched, but for the most part I find manufacturers that base their action on the Remington 700. I won�t have it. Essentially I�m not dead set on the Model 70 action, but rather the options that the 70 offers. Controlled feeding, Mauser style extractor, variable ejection, machined, and its three position safety are all very high on my list. So all of that being said, here�s my question: Does anyone out there know of any custom made and manufactured actions based on the Model 70?

Side note: I have been very seriously looking into Montana Rifle Company, but have read quite a bit of negative reviews and feedback� I also recently discovered that their actions are cast and not machined.

Any and all help/comments are very much appreciated.

GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

Last edited by Ackleyfan; 01/29/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I might be deviating from your goal but what about a donor pre64 70 action or NH Classic action for your project? Possibly have a gunsmith familiar with model 70s work it over for your build. Redneck, who frequents this sight, comes to mind.

Just a thought and best of luck with your build.

Edit: Not Model 70s but Mauser based and the features you were interested in.

http://www.satterleearms.com/375_length.htm

http://www.granitemountainarms.com/m98.html

Last edited by 32_20fan; 01/29/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Those sure look nice, but, 5 grand just for the action ? Wow. Of course, to D'Arcy's clients, it's mere chump change

J
JNB86 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you both for your input. It would seem that I might have to go the route of modifying a factory Winchester action. I was just trying to avoid this because it is only one more step in an already long process.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What about the McMillan G30

http://mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-rifles-actions-g30crf.php

Would have some of the features you are looking for. CRF, 3 position safet ...

I think it would be a great action.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Holy smokes. I am poor.

J
JNB86 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Nice and exspensive indeed... Would be nice if I had the funds to drop on a $5K action. Thanks for the link though... any and all options will be considered.

J
JNB86 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
This seems like a good option... Thanks for the link.

J
JNB86 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Well it isn't a "custom" action, but the McMillan G30 as Gledeasy suggested has caught my eye. Although I would really like to buy from a smaller manufacturer, I unfortunately don't have the deep pockets that its seems are needed to get a high quality custom 70 action. Maybe someday when I have more money to burn. Anyways, does anyone here have any personal hands on exerience with the G30?

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
MRC actions are investment cast by Ruger. All actions are then machined on precision CNC equipment at MRC in Kalispell.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Micro_Groove
Holy smokes. I am poor.

Yeah, those people have more money than brains...Just sayin... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
An FN Special Police Rifle (SPR) action may be a option if you are after a short action.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by skilakjim
An FN Special Police Rifle (SPR) action may be a option if you are after a short action.

The same goes for the PBR: A PBR is the exact same action/receiver. The chrome lined barrel is the only thing that sets the 2 apart....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
JNB86 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by skilakjim

I'm almost certainly chambering the rifle in .300 Win Mag

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JNB86
New guy. I'm seeing similar threads in this section, so I hope this question is in the right section. If not... give me some time and I'll get everything figured out.

Anyways, I'm currently in the preliminary research phase of building a completely custom, 100% U.S. made and manufactured, multipurpose, bolt gun. My goal is to build a rifle (dare I use the term?) �tactical� in nature that is not only a very capable long range target gun, but also a powerful multi-game hunting rifle. As stated above, I am after long range accuracy; however, reliability is of the utmost importance to me. I need a rifle that will feed and eject every time that I ask it to; one that is able to stand up to prolonged and rugged field use; and finally, one that will stand the test of time and eventually become an heirloom. Because of all of these requirements I have been leaning towards a Model 70 type action; however, this is where I start to run into issues. Because I am trying to build a fully custom tactical rifle, I am having a hard time finding the right action. I have searched and searched, but for the most part I find manufacturers that base their action on the Remington 700. I won�t have it. Essentially I�m not dead set on the Model 70 action, but rather the options that the 70 offers. Controlled feeding, Mauser style extractor, variable ejection, machined, and its three position safety are all very high on my list. So all of that being said, here�s my question: Does anyone out there know of any custom made and manufactured actions based on the Model 70?

Side note: I have been very seriously looking into Montana Rifle Company, but have read quite a bit of negative reviews and feedback� I also recently discovered that their actions are cast and not machined.

Any and all help/comments are very much appreciated.

This isn't a real tough one...I'd shop around for a used Classic(standard 30-06/270,or magnum bolt face) etc,order up a Krieger/Brux,etc barrel and McMillan stock of choice and send it to one of the good smiths who know M70's.

Redneck on here is one;there are others.Depending how fancy you want to get and the dpeth of the pocket book,you will end up with something that meets your standards.

Another option is a Dakota M76 action, which has all the same features of a M70.Dakota may even build such a rifle from the ground up.Those would be my picks.

Unless they are already chewed up,I don't tear up pre 64 M70's to build customs anymore...the poor old things are Icons and deserve to be left in one piece if possible. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Might just throw in that the Ruger 77 has all the same attributes as the M70 action and can be found at reasonable prices 2nd hand. You can attempt to be a snob and denigrate cast actions but they are just as darn strong as any machined action out there. Only issue with the Ruger is the bases which are awesome if all you want to do is mount a basic scope. If you want to put a MOA base on it for longer range stuff, you might run into issues.

OTOH, if you pick a decent scope, you won't run out of elevation before you find the limits of your own abilities...... I am a fan of all the features you find desirable and I would choose a stainless Ruger 77 in .300 WM and see how it shoots. If it has accuracy issues, a new barrel should fix that right up. Unless you do something stupid, most any firearm should be able to passed on to your family.

95% of my rifle collection is based around the Mauser type action so I understand your desire for such a rifle but I really wouldn't have a MRC action as the basis for a project. A good friend of over 20 years runs his own very successful shop in Europe and has a very low opinion of them. Sez when they are right, they are excellent but when they are wrong, they are really wrong and it is a crap shoot as to what they turn out.

Alternatively: http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/tactical/model-8400-advanced-tactical

Ready to go out of the box. Good luck with your build.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Has someone mentioned Dakota. I think they might have what you want.

http://www.dakotaarms.com/

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have heavy barreled M70 classic in 300 win in an HS Precision stock that I could sell you for $700. Shoot that for a while as you figure out what you want to build; might decide you want a heavier rig, or a lighter, or the balance different etc. Then you would have a donor action that you could use to build what would be far more likely to have the characteristics you truly want. Who knows-- you might even decide that is not the cartridge you want.

The M70 was used quite a bit in high powered rifle competition. You should be able to find a good accuracy gunsmith who can build what you want. I would get in line for an Obermeyer barrel.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a G series five digit ssn action I will sell. It is very nice one. Not all are as good.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,015
Posts18,500,331
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.