Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
KevinGibson has an article in which he has an interesting concept about either belt/shoulder holster or pocket holster carry.

So, I ask - what is the biggest handgun you regularly carry in your pocket, either loose or in a pocket holster?

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
5" all steel 1911 Springfield, they are not heavy at all, the weight is around your waist, after a bit you forget it's there.

Gunner

Trump Won!
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Sig 238 - 380

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As far as weight goes, my comfort threshold in suit pants or casual slacks is about a pound or so. In 5.11�s or BDU�s I can tolerate a little bit more weight.

As to size, anything larger than a compact Kahr sized pistol will not present quickly enough from a pocket to satisfy me.

Practically speaking for me; .380�s and smaller can go in my pocket � anything 9mm and larger goes on the waist.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glock 19 IWB Mexican style, it does have a clip grip on it.

Pocket, KT P3AT in a pocket holster.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S&W J frame or a Walther PPKs is about as large/heavy a gun as I'll carry in my trouser pocket. As 41magfan has said, anything larger will not present quickly enough from a pocket.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Ruger LC9 is about as large as I'll put in a pocket. S&W J frame works too.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kel Tec P3AT is the heaviest I go for a pure pocket carry and the weight does seem to disappear after a while.

Heavier go on a IWB up to a Sig 2340.

Still heaviest go on a belt holster.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Kel-Tec P32 carried in my Speedo at the beach.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jaywalker
KevinGibson has an article in which he has an interesting concept about either belt/shoulder holster or pocket holster carry.

So, I ask - what is the biggest handgun you regularly carry in your pocket, either loose or in a pocket holster?
I've stuffed a Detective Special in my back pocket for short periods, where no sitting down was anticipated. Ordinarily, though, the biggest I've carried in my pocket for any length of time has been little mouse gun autos in .32 ACP or a NAA mini revolver. I much prefer IWB and near service sized sidearms for regular concealed carry, though.

Who is this Kevin Gibson fellow, anyway? He a new writer in the gun rags or something? grin

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
So, Kevin's article suggests either pocket or belt, and if belt, then full-size power. My Kahr K9 is neither, so should I bag it in favor of a J-frame (pocket), or full-size Commander/Hi-Power? Is there room for a K-9-size handgun in a belt holster?

Very thought-provoking article, BTW.

The_Real_Hawkeye: Who is this Kevin Gibson fellow, anyway? He a new writer in the gun rags or something? grin

Oh, yeah, brand new...
wink

Last edited by Jaywalker; 01/30/13.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Good article. J-frame is the most often true pocket carry for me.

Differing a little from Kevin's article...I do often carry a G27 in a pocket holster in cargo pockets (nemesis pocket holster)...won't work in every pair of cargo's but I have several pair that it works great with....no way I could carry it front pocket due to thickness/size more than weight.

I agree on his general principle of J-frame (or similiar size) pocket and full size (I consider G23/G19 full size) on belt (with good leather). I have a little trouble with IWB and prefer OWB, but that may be due more to build than anything.

One "cheap" OWB holster that I've liked is the Glock sport holster. Good retention, pulls the gun in close to the body, and rides high. The Nemisis pocket holster is cheap, slim/compact, draws easy, holds the gun upright, and works well for me for pocket carry. Most anything else I've tried that is cheap, especially for belt carry, just doesn't get it (for concealed carry).

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
So, Kevin's article suggests either pocket or belt, and if belt, then full-size power. My Kahr K9 is neither, so should I bag it in favor of a J-frame (pocket), or full-size Commander/Hi-Power? Is there room for a K-9-size handgun in a belt holster?

Of course, because they are so lightweight and slim you will simply never be reminded you're carrying, and neither will anyone else. That said, I prefer giving that up in exchange for being only slightly aware I'm carrying and getting twelve rounds of 9mm with my S&W M&P 9c.

Kevin, I slightly disagree with you in preferring a full sized to a compact version of a service sized gun since when I carry my M&P 9c in an IWB it doesn't print unless I carry it with the magazine (and adapter) that replicates the grip frame of the full sized version (expanding round count from 12 to 17 rounds), in which case it prints substantially.

PS This example in your article of a full sized M&P is actually the M&P Compact.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

For pocket carry as the original post asked, the biggest handgun is a Kahr CM9 in a DeSantis Nemisis, and that's pretty well maxing it out. I can fit a Kahr CW9 inside the pocket but the handle prints badly and it gets hung up trying to draw it. Used to carry a K-T P32 in a Nemesis as well.

Won't carry without a pocket holster for two or three reasons. Without it the handgun shifts around in your pocket so it might not be positioned properly when you reach for it, it looks more like a handgun when it prints through the fabric, and I am not comfortable with a no-safety, DAO handgun so close to my nuts without something covering the trigger.

I've experimented with carrying a larger handgun in a winter coat pocket, the CW45 is a good match, but it still needs a holster of some kind to keep it positioned properly. Also, unless the coat is zipped or otherwise closed it's difficult to draw from a slanted pocket, the coat wants to come with you instead of allowing you to withdraw the pistol.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
S&W M&P 340 CT in 357 Mag
Sig P938 9mm

Both in DeSantis Nemesis front off hand trouser pocket

Alan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S&W Model 36 in a quality leather pocket holster is the only way to go. Model 49 is an acceptable substitute in a pinch.

Older the better

The fit and cut of the pant has a lot to do with your 'comfort' level. Plus you need to look at what gun you like/shoot well with/ is reliable for CC.
For me its a wheelgun.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Aluminum J frame S&W or the Taurus clone.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The_Real_Hawkeye: Who is this Kevin Gibson fellow, anyway? He a new writer in the gun rags or something? grin

Oh, yeah, brand new...
wink

Well sir, that�s pretty much what I did, but it was a Kahr 45 that I ditched.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Now keep in mind when you read that article, that is what I found out for ME. I found it out the hard way, and I kept wandering back to the sub-compact 9�s�keep them a few months, and then realize, oh yeah, they really don�t carry all that well in a holster for me.

Now honestly, I have carried guns as big as the Kahr 45 in my front pocket of some cargo style jeans, and even slightly bigger than that. Weight seems to be a bit more of an issue than size, but you get the jest. Each person has to learn for themselves, but I wrote that article in the hopes I could save some poor sap from doing it the hard way like I did�again, and again.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I regularly carry my Glock 20 in my front jeans pocket around the ranch, but I'm not trying to conceal it, that is just the most comfortable way of carrying it I have found for me. I hate belts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 56 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,597
Posts18,511,341
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.