That shoulda been a Mag Duece....

Just sayin' (grins)

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Geedubya,have you tried the 60 grain NP yet? How far are your shots on the pigs?

The rifle shooting that many bullets to the same P.O.I is WOW!

Here are two groups shot in the same session as the last few groups. These are 60 gr. partitions, fire form loads at 100 yds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What's the old saying, I'm just one rifle away from being happy. I kinda got side tracked last year on other stuff and have not really spent enough time with this rifle to wring it out.

I have a couple spots where I can shoot out to 700 yds or so. However, I classify myself as a short range meat hunter. Most of my shots are 160 yds and under using a 24 cal and under. Where I hunt it is so thick that if stuff isn't drt or leave an immediate blood trail, many times game is lost.
If I'm going to be shooting over 200 yds I usually use 6.5 cal or larger.

Best

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by HawkI
Geedub,

That shoulda been a Mag Duece....

Just sayin' (grins)

My bad.

I'd thought about that considering the bolt face, and velocity, but the cost and availability of 223 brass (at that time) kinda influenced me.

Start a "Next BTE" thread titled 222Mag AI, and I might just do so.

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 02/03/13.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wageslave
Yeah, the Foxpro finally got results.
I think it was just being in a good spot finally.
River breaks, by cows that are calving.
The hunting was great.
The shooting was subpar.
He made it to a deep hell hole of pucker brush, blackberry and poison hemlock.
I took a pic of some blood and called it good.
I'm a puss and highly allergic to that schit.
Bird hunting over the years has had me covered to where I had to go to the docs.
Several times. They say with each occurrence I get more pussified.
If it woulda been a deer or turkey or upland bird I would've gone in.
I'm talking hands and knees jungle here. Bloodied my ear anyway.
All excuses aside, I just hit him to far back and need to shoot better.
I was getting a good heart pounding out of it and just am a rookie on this game.
I'm learning.

P.S. 5 actually came in......................
I was pissing myself............
I may go back....... grin

You obviously need a good pattern from a 12 bore, mebbe #3 or 4 buck.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good work on that rifle, but elephant gun on pigs? They pizz you off along the way? Don't matter, I'm here to cheer you on!

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I found you a wench. All the rest of the public sez don't wear her out.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by SLM
[Linked Image] HA! Nice bull with the 7x57 Mauser. smile

Choke em with smoke.

[Linked Image]

Nice Bull! I have a Knight Disc Extreme here that shoots fantastic. I just can't sit on the preference points long enough to draw an elk tag. Again,that's a great bull.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by geedubya
Geedubya,have you tried the 60 grain NP yet? How far are your shots on the pigs?

The rifle shooting that many bullets to the same P.O.I is WOW!

Here are two groups shot in the same session as the last few groups. These are 60 gr. partitions, fire form loads at 100 yds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What's the old saying, I'm just one rifle away from being happy. I kinda got side tracked last year on other stuff and have not really spent enough time with this rifle to wring it out.

I have a couple spots where I can shoot out to 700 yds or so. However, I classify myself as a short range meat hunter. Most of my shots are 160 yds and under using a 24 cal and under. Where I hunt it is so thick that if stuff isn't drt or leave an immediate blood trail, many times game is lost.
If I'm going to be shooting over 200 yds I usually use 6.5 cal or larger.

Best

GWB
If the rifle was mine that 60 NP with 25.5 of H-4895 would be the load I would use. My wife and I hunted in Texas for whitetail deer in Dec.2011 and I know what you're talking about it being thick.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just got back from the range where I treated myself to an impressive display of offhand shooting. 1st two 5-shot groups were over 4" at 50 yards. 3rd group went almost exactly 5. The 4th group put 4 inside of 2" (nicely centered in the bull) w/ a 5th shot just outside.

Decided that was enough of that - the guy shooting his magnum was laughing so hard I was afraid I would make him shoot his chrony. Note to self - practice offhand, every trip to the range...

The 500yd steel was more fun. 120NBT's shot fine in the light wind. The 139SST's seemed immune to the light breeze, striking POI exactly at prescribed elevation dope, no windage adjustment. I know - 500yds ain't long range, but it's all I've got...

David

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Geedub,

Tell me about the Vais. Does it work as advertised? Little to zero additional noise to the shooter?

Thanks,

David

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Geedub,

Tell me about the Vais. Does it work as advertised? Little to zero additional noise to the shooter?

Thanks,

David

Here is a link to the Vais Website. http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/Default.aspx

At the moment, I have only three rifles with brakes. All three are Vais.

I'd like to say that I was a "Brake" afficianado and knew everything about them, but then I'd be shining you on.

[Linked Image]

I have the brakes on a 7 STW and a 338 RUM, both in the Sendero flavor and the 223 AI. I got the 7STW years ago used, cheap it came with the brake. I liked it and when I had my Sendero accurized at Hill Country Rifle I had them install the brake.

I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but with the brake installed the 338 RUMs much more pleasant to shoot. The Vais brakes do provide a good deal of recoil reduction I'd say my 338 Rum kicks like my 270 Win using 200 to 225 gr. bullets The 7 STW even less.

Most of the time I'm shooting these braked rifles is at the bench. Due to the fact that it seems I'm always next to someone that has a braked 338-378 and the shock wave almost knocks me into next week, I've taken to wearing ear plugs plus ear muffs when shooting at club I'm a member of. Conseqently that, plus being behind the muzzle lessens my perception of the shock wave/noise.
I'm a low volume shooter and when afield, I usually fire one or two rounds at most during a hunt. Being the excitable type I am, I never notice the noise then. I'm sorry I could not give you a more definitive answer.

Best,

GWB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like your old Heeler! The shotgun too.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That is a fat heeler...are you aware that they have a touch of Dingo in them?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hunts', you need to trade me a Red Ryder and an SP-101 for that O/U, grin

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Gee', you've got some really nice rifles.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JSTUART
That is a fat heeler...are you aware that they have a touch of Dingo in them?

David

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Do not know if the hairline crack can be seen in this pic.
[Linked Image]
Here is another pic a SLM special....out of focus...
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Just got back from the range where I treated myself to an impressive display of offhand shooting. 1st two 5-shot groups were over 4" at 50 yards. 3rd group went almost exactly 5. The 4th group put 4 inside of 2" (nicely centered in the bull) w/ a 5th shot just outside.

Decided that was enough of that - the guy shooting his magnum was laughing so hard I was afraid I would make him shoot his chrony. Note to self - practice offhand, every trip to the range...

The 500yd steel was more fun. 120NBT's shot fine in the light wind. The 139SST's seemed immune to the light breeze, striking POI exactly at prescribed elevation dope, no windage adjustment. I know - 500yds ain't long range, but it's all I've got...

David

Work on that offhand stuff, you'll not regret it.

25 yards:

[Linked Image]

With this:

[Linked Image]

50 yards w/flinter

[Linked Image]

50 yards with 77/44 following the flinter:

[Linked Image]

Nothing I've ever done will improve your offhand skill like a flintlock. Ya got to follow thru...every cotton pickin' time.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That crack can be stopped in its tracks with judicious use of a drill and some thin epoxy.

Will give a call upon request.

BD

I am..........disturbed.

Page 1,006 of 2,579 1 2 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 2578 2579

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,309
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.