Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#7395553 02/02/13
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was at the Grand Rapids show today and walked up to a BLR laying on a table. I assumed it was the common Jap-made 308 you usually see, but I asked to pick it up anyway. The first thing I noticed was the condition. It was absolutely like brand new. The guy said the owner bought it new and never fired it (yeah, right). I looked at the caliber designation and it said "243 Winchester." Hmm, that's interesting. I was looking for a 243. Then I got it turned just right in the light and read the words "Made In Belgium" and I started breathing a little faster. After a little haggling, I walked away with the rifle, and I could not be more tickled.

I always liked the design and feel of the BLR but had nothing but trouble with a couple of the Jap guns. When I got home I test fired it with a couple of handloads and it functions flawlessly. Can't wait to see how it shoots for accuracy.

I didn't have a scope at home that I wanted to put on it so on the way to the exit of the show I started looking. I wanted a Leupold 2-7x33 but could not find one at the show. I did, however, stumble across an old Weaver V7 (2-7x32) in great condition, so I bought that. It fits on the rifle perfectly, and there's no need for a hammer spur extension. The gun came with a Redfield one-piece mount and low rings already installed.

I know, I know, it didn't happen unless I post pictures. OK, I'll get some posted. In the mean time, show us your own BLRS, and the game you shot and targets you punched with them. smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here it is. My little point-n-shoot doesn't take the best gun pics. There is one minor safe mark on the buttstock, otherwise it is perfect. Can't wait to schmuck whitey with it. smile The vented pad is a drag, but the stock has not been cut. Would like to find an original plate for it. Anybody got one you can spare?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice wood!

David

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice! They really are a slick design.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The Belgium Browning BLR's ALL came with pads! Yours is very original.

They seem to be very accurate as well. Enjoy!

Just don't lose your magazine... very spendy these days... usually > $200. Check ebay if you don't believe me!

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Don`t lose your magazine.One sold recently on GB for $275.00.If there is one flaw with those early BLRs(Being nit-picky)the magazine clunks around at the most inopportune times .That said those suckers are super accurate,even with the not so great trigger pull.Congrats on a good find!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Uh, me thinks the original pads were black without a white line spacer .

Very nice rifle and they have the reputation as shooters. Enjoy. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jt402
Uh, me thinks the original pads were black without a white line spacer .

Just looked at my Belgium made BLR purchased in mid 70's and it has same pad & spacer as Big Redhead's.

They are really great little rifles.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I concede. I did not research the text material, just photos. If factory, regardless of color and etc, it should be marked "Browning." They are great guns. ,jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Mine has a white spacer. A few were made in Belgium.

Great find.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice gun! I have been harkening for one in 7mm-08. Too bad they have never made on n .260

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good find. Great woods rifle

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Here's my .358 from 1981. A very handy brush rifle and really accurate with cast bullets.

[Linked Image]

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
They are a rifle I could never warm up to. My brother, on the other hand, has one in .308 that he got back in the seventies and it's his go-to rifle for everything, including high-dollar elk, moose and caribou hunts. (Then again, he's not a real gun guy, doesn't have over 25 or 30 guns including rifles, shotguns, handguns.) My neighbor, friend from childhood, has had one for about the same time, also .308. Also his go-to rifle. They will shoot, I will give them that. They always seem like a delicate mechanism though, and having had to fix crud-related jams on both of their rifles over the years hasn't changed my mind about that. Style-wise, they always seem to me to be a collaboration between a French Canadian interior decorator and a Japanese filmmaker. That said, I realize a lot of guys like them and that's what makes horse races.

Mathew 22: 37-39

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
That is a very nice gun show find. From what I can see, it sure looks all original to me. They make fantastic scabbard guns for horse hunting and also nice timber guns. Enjoy, if you ever find one in 358 win, buy it.

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congratulations, B_R, that's a fine-looking machine!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thats a great find!! I had a .358 "Made In Belgium" just like your .243, not only was it a great shooter but a dream to carry.

If you get tired of it send me a pm smile smile

Ted
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My son has a 70's BLR in .308, shot his first mule deer with it. My dad has a 70's BLR in .358 that he really likes. Both have performed flawlessly and are accurate.

A friend has one in .257 Roberts that I'm really jealous of, sub MOA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just peeked at my all original made in Belgium .308 BLR and ...

It has the same black spacer, white line, and pad as in the pics posted here. The pad is marked "BROWNING" in bold lettering and underneath, in smaller print, it says "pad made in USA".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot a BLR in 7mm mag for a few years. I always shot it really well. The thing was heavier then he!! to carry and kicked like a mule. Had a span of 3 bucks 3 shots. That 7mm is a good cartridge.

I took this little guy with it.

[Linked Image]

and also this one

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (12344mag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 52 invisible), 14,729 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,064
Posts18,541,182
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.