Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I have a buddy who's not an internet guy (older) looking for one and the only one I saw recently sold for $2,600! It was a .30-06, SS LH Win. Model 70, looked almost new in box and had a Walnut stock.

From what I hear, those LH stainless steel models were only in production for about 4 years and were some of the best-built, highest quality by Winchester. The machining and production over those short years was almost all on new equipment too.

What have you seen these go for and how often do they come up for sale?

Thanks,
John

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They don't come up all that often and when they do I usually see them go around $1500 on GB. I've been lucky enough to score a couple for less, one right here on the fire, you just have to keep your eyes open and act fast.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They don't come around often and the .473" bolt face rifles bring the highest prices.
Rarely you can luck into one. I bought one here in MN not too long ago and I had to move fast to get it.
It was a 7RM with perfect metal but a big gouge in the stock. It wore a 4.5-14x40 Vari-XIII in Leupold WA mounts.
I paid $650 for the package!
I added a good walnut stock and a McSwirly, both used, traded the scope straight across for a 3-9x40 Conquest, put the Conquest in S&K's and sold it here in MN for $1800.
If it'd been a .473" rifle, preferably in .270, I'd still have it.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Price goes much higher than quality. That was not a good era for Winchester. Many problems are frequent with that group including scope mount holes not drilled correctly, poor accuracy, poor barrels, etc.

I suppose if one wanted a lefty stainless, you could end up with a donor action in the worst case for a project gun, but don't expect good accuracy or quality just buying one out of the blue. MRC would be the way to go.

Only speaking from experience. Had a stainless 338. Had to use windage adjustable bases, cause the holes were so damn crooked. Got the accuracy to about 2.5" at 100 with some work and restocking. Only reason I wish I would have held on to it, is for the overinflating values by folks that don't know better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KenMi
Price goes much higher than quality. That was not a good era for Winchester. Many problems are frequent with that group including scope mount holes not drilled correctly, poor accuracy, poor barrels, etc.

I suppose if one wanted a lefty stainless, you could end up with a donor action in the worst case for a project gun, but don't expect good accuracy or quality just buying one out of the blue. MRC would be the way to go.

Only speaking from experience. Had a stainless 338. Had to use windage adjustable bases, cause the holes were so damn crooked. Got the accuracy to about 2.5" at 100 with some work and restocking. Only reason I wish I would have held on to it, is for the overinflating values by folks that don't know better.
This is the biggest load of sour grapes HORSESHIT. I frequently read posts by people who NO LONGER OWN a stainless left-handed Winchester Model 70 and the tone of the posts are frequently the same: you had one, got rid of it in favor of another project or to fund a high-dollar hunting trip, and now you're hypercritical of the rifles because you can't easily replace it and can't replace it at the price it was ten years ago.

The truth is you thought the left-handed Model 70 would be made forever and all time once it was introduced. Easy come, easy go. If one showed up right now for $750, you'd sure as hell try and buy it and if Winchester started making them again for under a $1K, you'd probably buy more than one and post effusive, laudatory comments about it being the best thing since sliced bread and poptop beer. You'd be posting how competing rifles need beaucoup work and how unsatisfactory they really are. And I'd call bullshit on that, too.

GET OVER IT.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I tend to agree with Ken. I have had three customs built off of Lh 70s, and they were all significantly flawed from the factory. Mark Penrod said the action I sent him to build a 7 RM was 30-thou out of true, and that for whatever reason, the LH M70s that go through his shop are not nearly as true as the RH.

I still buy them when I get a good deal, and use them for my main hunting guns, but I have no idealist delusions about their quality.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by utah708
I still buy them when I get a good deal, and use them for my main hunting guns, but I have no idealist delusions about their quality.
Your ulterior motives are showing through your thinly disguised criticisms.

If stainless left-handed Model 70s are SOOOOOOO "bad," then why bother at all? Stainless MRC actions and stainless Ruger 77s are widely available. If a stainless left-handed Model 70 were that "bad," then the solution is easy: DON'T BUY IT. Of course if you're interested in buying one -- or more than one -- it's to your advantage to plant those seeds of doubt in your potential competitors.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Because I prefer them to the 3 MRC I have, and the several M77s.

But your histrionics are revealing your thinly suppressed self-doubt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Because I prefer them to the 3 MRC I have, and the several M77s.
Spin it however you want. "He doth protest too much, methinks."

But your histrionics are revealing your thinly suppressed self-doubt.
None whatsoever, though I do regret having sold a couple of Model 70s when they were all free and easy and I certainly regret not buying more when they were seemingly everywhere.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Bricktop

If stainless left-handed Model 70s are SOOOOOOO "bad," then why bother at all? Stainless MRC actions and stainless Ruger 77s are widely available. If a stainless left-handed Model 70 were that "bad," then the solution is easy: DON'T BUY IT. Of course if you're interested in buying one -- or more than one -- it's to your advantage to plant those seeds of doubt in your potential competitors.

I don't bother at all....I wouldn't touch one for $600, and could care less if they bring out lefties or not. I have owned three lefty Winchesters actually, the 338, and then the newer versions in 7mm and 300 WSM. The WSM's were as equally unimpressive. Didn't have quite the flaws that even Ray Charles could see out of the box, but they were not anything special, and certainly not anything to mention as far as accuracy. I would pay $900 for a stainless Ruger long before I would pay even $700 or $800 for a lefty stainless Winchester.
Now they decide to save a few pennies by having the guns assembled in Portugal.....screw them, they are in the same downward tube as Browning.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KenMi
Originally Posted by Bricktop

I don't bother at all....I wouldn't touch one for $600, and could care less if they bring out lefties or not. I have owned three lefty Winchesters actually, the 338, and then the newer versions in 7mm and 300 WSM. The WSM's were as equally unimpressive. Didn't have quite the flaws that even Ray Charles could see out of the box, but they were not anything special, and certainly not anything to mention as far as accuracy. I would pay $900 for a stainless Ruger long before I would pay even $700 or $800 for a lefty stainless Winchester.
Now they decide to save a few pennies by having the guns assembled in Portugal.....screw them, they are in the same downward tube as Browning.
BUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Your sour grapes bullshit is getting deeper.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I'm just a lucky bastard then. All three that I have/had are all shooters. My 06 is boring in that it shoots anything and everything into about the same point of aim and always in little groups. My newest addition, a 270 is looking to be the same way. The 300 Win I tore apart to built my 358 Norma was very accurate and I almost hesitated to tear it apart. (never shoot the donor)

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
I guess I'm just a lucky bastard then. All three that I have/had are all shooters. My 06 is boring in that it shoots anything and everything into about the same point of aim and always in little groups. My newest addition, a 270 is looking to be the same way. The 300 Win I tore apart to built my 358 Norma was very accurate and I almost hesitated to tear it apart. (never shoot the donor)
It can't be true. The usual suspects -- the same three or four knotheads -- who post on the various hunting and shooting message boards say it ain't so. Stainless steel left-handed Model 70 Winchesters are TERRIBLE. Just ask THEM. Like a lot of other things, it's just the same old tired-ass BULLSHIT from the same three or four dubious sources. The latest wrinkle is utah708's explanation: they suck, but he prefers them. But he thinks they suck.

You f*ckers need to put a little more thought into the bullshit tales you tell.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think LH Stainless Model 70s suck. I wouldn't give $600 for one unless it was a 7 X 57 with a Lilja barrel. Then I might go $650 cool

I fact I wouldn't own ANY LH Model 70. All 5 of mine suck and don't shoot. I keep trying to give them away, but they are so bad no one wants them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
I think LH Stainless Model 70s suck. I wouldn't give $600 for one unless it was a 7 X 57 with a Lilja barrel. Then I might go $650 cool

I fact I wouldn't own ANY LH Model 70. All 5 of mine suck and don't shoot. I keep trying to give them away, but they are so bad no one wants them.
I couldn't possibly let mine go for any less than $650.01. whistle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Throw in the Leupold and a couple of boxes of 7X57, and I will give you $650.01

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
I have a buddy who's not an internet guy (older) looking for one and the only one I saw recently sold for $2,600! It was a .30-06, SS LH Win. Model 70, looked almost new in box and had a Walnut stock.

From what I hear, those LH stainless steel models were only in production for about 4 years and were some of the best-built, highest quality by Winchester. The machining and production over those short years was almost all on new equipment too.

What have you seen these go for and how often do they come up for sale?

Thanks,
John

Dear John,

This has been my experience as well. I have paid on average about $1,600 for each of my LH SS Model 70s, with the most being for a NIB .270 and a slightly used 300 win. mag. at over $2,000 each. Only two of these came with scopes and neither scope was worth more than $200.

Keep looking. Else, find out who has one and pester them to sell you one- just don't ask me- I plan on keeping mine for my entire lifetime.
Best,
CL

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ngrumba
Throw in the Leupold and a couple of boxes of 7X57, and I will give you $650.01
That's a tempting offer. I'll have to consult my magic 8-ball.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I better get rid of this POS before it starts shooting any worse. It's the worst shooting rifle I've ever used. Fit and finish are terrible. I'll take $4500 as is.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Just kidding about the sale price. Someone actually might take me up on it. It's not for sale.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would also like to take this opportunity to list the following [bleep] left-handed guns:
  • Anything Benelli
  • Anything Sako
  • Anything Dakota
  • Anything Kimber
  • Anything Cooper
  • Anything Sauer
Please be advised nothing on that list possesses any value over $500 U.S. Especially the Dakotas.

P.S. I reserve the right to update that list as required.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,877 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,798
Posts18,477,446
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.