Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I love my 9.3x62 and blame John entirely for my acquiring it.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Funny, an old "working" cartridge, originally designed to build inexpensive, functional and practical rifles for colonists in "Darkest Africa", which, we are told, actually did all and more then it was intended to, is now the "hot" round among those who, usually, can afford and do buy about any rifle/chambering, that they desire......

Almost every serious rifle nut I know here in BC, and that is a considerable number now owns or is getting a 9.3x62 and a few also have the more powerful Brenneke version as well as the rimmed 74mm one. I cannot recall, in my now 55 years of shooting, ANY crartidge becoming as popular among genuinely knowledgable shooters/hunters in only a few years.

I now have four fine rifles so chambered and have sold three others as my advancing age and wife's serious medical issues motivate me to slowly sell off my gun collection. I tend to carry a "medium bore" rifle, when working in the bush or solo hunting and I can see a time when I will a 9,3 or two and a Grouse gun and just do my "geezer" hunting so armed...and, be quite content with this choice.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, that keeps the extra money in your pocket and if at some future date you need to pick up 0.009" you can still buy that rifle at that time. Being a tad more impulsive and "wanting" a 375, I got one a couple of years ago. If Id had a 9.3, Id probably do as you have. Yours is still a good decision.

precision is group shooting, accuracy is hitting your intended target.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BigUglyMan
I love my 9.3x62 and blame John entirely for my acquiring it.

Mine's probably a lot like John's rifle but I don't blame him for me buying it. I blame the old guy that sold it to me cry....He's also a gun rag writer and has actually used my rifle in Africa a time or two...Damn good cartridge and the CZ550 doesn't have any flies on it as far as I'm concerned...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I havent been to Africa yet, IMHO anyone doubting the 320 Woodleighs in the 9.3x62 at 2400 fps musta picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue. grin

At only 50 thou smaller in dia and 80 grs lighter, it mirrors the vaunted .416 400 gr load at 2400 fps, one of, if not the best penetrating load/loads [soft/solid] ever developed.

I have shot a few head of dead cattle with my load, IT IS A STRAIGHT LINE PLOW, no doubt about it for me.

And where legal, I'd be glad to use it on Cape, Water, or Bison buffalo, then fill a nice bag of plains game.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think the one guy at the root of the 9.3 popularity is Chub Eastman, He wrote at least two good articles on the 93's before the real boom ( so to speak ) started. Of course, part of the popularity is how well the various 93 cartridges work, and have worked for so many years.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dave93
I think the one guy at the root of the 9.3 popularity is Chub Eastman, He wrote at least two good articles on the 93's before the real boom ( so to speak ) started. Of course, part of the popularity is how well the various 93 cartridges work, and have worked for so many years.

That's what John says when accused of bring the 9.3 to the forefront. He's quick to give Chub all the credit, but I guess Hillary was right when she wrote, "It Takes a Village"... shocked

I've read a lot more JB stuff than any others on the 9.3. I had heard of Chub Eastman, just never read his 9.3 work. So, John can't dodge all the blame... cool

DF

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've been reading about various 9.3's most of my life. JB just made it easier to make the move to get one.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Finn Aagaard had a great article on the 9,3x62 also.........soooo, Finn, Chub, and JB all take the blame for 9.3 addiction. grin

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
I havent been to Africa yet, IMHO anyone doubting the 320 Woodleighs in the 9.3x62 at 2400 fps musta picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue. grin

At only 50 thou smaller in dia and 80 grs lighter, it mirrors the vaunted .416 400 gr load at 2400 fps, one of, if not the best penetrating load/loads [soft/solid] ever developed.

I have shot a few head of dead cattle with my load, IT IS A STRAIGHT LINE PLOW, no doubt about it for me.

And where legal, I'd be glad to use it on Cape, Water, or Bison buffalo, then fill a nice bag of plains game.

Gunner

Gunner,

Leave it to you to turn a mild mannered, great shooting round into a mini-.416 Rigby... shocked

But how many Okie Ranchers tool around their property, busting rocks and other targets of opportunity with a .505 Gibbs...?

You just ain't right, dude... laugh

DF

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
DF, I rely on the infinite wisdom of posters here at the 'fire such as yourself to tell me something I dont know. shocked eek laugh

Hole-diggin armydillers and a 500 nitro are fun too. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Gunner,

I've had the pleasure of shooting a Merkel .500NE, helped a good bud reload for one. Never touched off a .505 Gibbs. Agree with the .500 being good 'diller medicine. Gibbs could be overkill, if there is such a thing. Dead is dead regardless how it happened.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The Gibbs running the 600 gr Woodleighs at 2450 is a real boot, I've backed them down to a more sane and sedate 2200 fps, not so bad at all.

The Merkels are some fine little rifles, my 500 Nitro was built by Alfred Schilling on a Merkel action, lovely little rifles indeed.

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
The Gibbs running the 600 gr Woodleighs at 2450 is a real boot, I've backed them down to a more sane and sedate 2200 fps, not so bad at all.
Gunner

Sounds like you're getting soft in your old age...!

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No, the 600 gr Woodleighs at 2450 are, they'll make ya a nice lookin copper and lead pancake at those speeds grin, at 2150/2200 their purty descent plows.

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That's the old addage of soft bullets being upset by too much velocity, resulting in less penetration.

The old timers shot their .404J's and similar at around that speed, evidently with good results. Then those rounds were bumped to 2,400 or so, presumably using slightly tougher bullets for more knock down power.

Pushing the 9.3x62 to 2,600+ fps, bullets like the 250 NAB and 250 TSX come into their own. Same idea with the various .375's.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As Kutenay pointed out, the 9.3 X 62 is VERY popular in B.C. And, as I've researched this fine cartridge in the past few years, I've discovered it has been a favorite, if not overly popular, rifle in Canada for at least a-half century, especially across the North where larger, sometimes dangerous game are encountered.

There's a fellow from the Yukon who posts on here and has made a name for himself in using and promoting the 9.3 X 62 for over thirty years! Due to his posting on a favorite Canadian forum, and killing a large grizzly in the Yukon last year with one of his, including pics and load, there is no rifle-cartridge for larger/dangerous game in Canada that is more popular! Just about everyone from coast to coast is making a run on them and they are getting scarcer by the minute!

My own opinion is, after a couple of years use, that it is about as ideal as it gets for a one rifle/cartridge do-it-all kind of thing... and I've come to that conclusion after owning, handloading for and using many medium-bore rifles, including .338s, .358s and .375s. It literally will do it all... IF the shooter knows what he is doing!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CZ550
As Kutenay pointed out, the 9.3 X 62 is VERY popular in B.C. And, as I've researched this fine cartridge in the past few years, I've discovered it has been a favorite, if not overly popular, rifle in Canada for at least a-half century, especially across the North where larger, sometimes dangerous game are encountered.

There's a fellow from the Yukon who posts on here and has made a name for himself in using and promoting the 9.3 X 62 for over thirty years! Due to his posting on a favorite Canadian forum, and killing a large grizzly in the Yukon last year with one of his, including pics and load, there is no rifle-cartridge for larger/dangerous game in Canada that is more popular! Just about everyone from coast to coast is making a run on them and they are getting scarcer by the minute!

My own opinion is, after a couple of years use, that it is about as ideal as it gets for a one rifle/cartridge do-it-all kind of thing... and I've come to that conclusion after owning, handloading for and using many medium-bore rifles, including .338s, .358s and .375s. It literally will do it all... IF the shooter knows what he is doing!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I was in wholehearted agreement until I got down to the 375 part. grin.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Gunner,

I've had the pleasure of shooting a Merkel .500NE, helped a good bud reload for one. Never touched off a .505 Gibbs. Agree with the .500 being good 'diller medicine. Gibbs could be overkill, if there is such a thing. Dead is dead regardless how it happened.

DF

Gunner might as well just run them down with his pick up. Probably about the same ft lbs of force but easier on the shoulder cry laugh whistle

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by CZ550
www.bigbores.ca

That guy is as bad as John, Finn or Chub!

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,396 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,204
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.