Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
After 4 months, I just got a response to an offer I made to purchase 120 acres of hunting land adjacent to my camp. Raising some cash would help make this a comfortable purchase.

I have 3 AR-15's; a Bushmaster HB target model, a S&W M&P-15A and a Colt 9mm 6450, along with about 40 good quality hicap magazines.

Since I don't shoot 3-gun or expect to confront hordes of the undead under a bridge on an abandoned freeway anytime soon, I guess I could live without these guns, especially with the prices they are bringing these days.

What would you do, and what would be the best strategy for determing prices and selling them ?

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally, I'd sell the bushmaster and colt and keep the S&W. The S&W can pull triple duty for plinking, home defense, and hunting while still being able to upgrade the upper reciever to a heavy caliber like 450 bushmaster, 6.8SPC, or 300 blackout.

Don't sell all three. You never know what need may arise in the coming years with the rumblings going on financially, and economically.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Prices are coming down. I'd sell, especially to buy good land.

They're still making ARs, but God ain't making any more dirt.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The high prices you're seeing are what people are asking, not what they're getting! I was at a gun show last weekend and I don't think one AR sold the whole time. People think they can get some rediculous prices but I haven't seen anyone buying at those prices.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sell all 3 and buy the land. That's a no brainer. In 6 month's you aren't going to get half what you can now for the ar's but in 6 month's you could make money off the land. Land will never lose value.

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I'd be putting them up for sale. I sold the one I had and got 3 Ruger left hand stainless rifles in 223, 300 Win mag, and 375 Ruger plus a bit of cash left over. In your case, I would buy the land, you can always get another AR in the future.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
How much is the land? If selling the rifles only makes a small dent in the morgage then NO don't sell the guns. If by selling the guns you are getting enough capital to buy the land free and clear then YES sell them.

Like dmsbandit said keeping the S&W wouldn't be a bad thing.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
Personally, I'd sell the bushmaster and colt and keep the S&W. The S&W can pull triple duty for plinking, home defense, and hunting while still being able to upgrade the upper reciever to a heavy caliber like 450 bushmaster, 6.8SPC, or 300 blackout.

Don't sell all three. You never know what need may arise in the coming years with the rumblings going on financially, and economically.

+1

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If a couple of my AR's were the only thing standing between me being able to afford to buy more ground or not, it would be a no brainer for me.....sell......sell....sell...

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Dunno cost of land, but here selling all 3 would not buy you an acre even so I wouldn't even consider it.

Heck selling a gun or three unless it paid for a substantial portion of land wouldn't even be considered.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No pressing things I need to buy now. I wouldn't mind trading off a 6940, but it would be for a very specific want item of similar value. If I sold it I'd have to ask the current silly prices, to then go buy what I wanted.

Only the OP knows his exact situation, and has to weigh the pros & cons. I personally don't see AR prices back where they were for a number of months, maybe a couple years - and that could unfortunately change with a politician's whim.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
On the other hand no telling what an AR to spare might be worth later down the line in a really bad situation..... could be worth more than gold...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I would buy land.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If I understand it rihgt, he is talking about buying MORE land.

For that I'd never sell a gun to fund 1/2 of 1% of the price if that probably.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shoulda sold em last month, they arent bringing near what they were then.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

Same thing around here prices falling.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub

+1 Same deal here in South Dakota prices have dropped 3-4 hundred on guns that were 1800 3 weeks ago. Magnum Man

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not here you can pretty much name your price.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You're not worried about Zombies? I've been to the U.P. and know what people are up there you might want to reconsider your thoughts about Zombies!

Just giving you crap as living in the 906 is a dream of mine!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Regardless of crazy prices, land is always worth more. If you really need the cash to swing it, I'd sell. So long as you can really afford it. Couple grand for rifles shouldn't make or break the finances if you can really affors the land. Unless it's so cheap that few grand will pay off a decent portion. In which case, I want your land broker!

Seriously, if it were me, the land is worth it. But I'd try to keep one rifle (the S&W) if I could.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (219 Wasp, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 42 invisible), 2,144 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,090
Posts18,501,892
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.