Golite Shangrala

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Ed,

Do you have any weights for your stoves posted on your web site? I couldn't find them.

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Why the BCS plus panel instead of the SO 4 man tipi? I am leaning towards the 4 man. Looks to be a little larger, taller, and cheaper than the BCS plus panel. May weigh a little more though. Plus you get 2 doors with the 4 man. Any other differences I am missing? I would like to get the medium stove too. This would be for 2 guys, gear, and the stove when needed.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Can you walk into a 4 man standing up ?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
4 man is a bit larger, and feels a bit bigger if you use the side guy outs, it also has dual vents ,that are a bit more refined . 4 man has the flexi pitch all the other tipis have. It can take a nest. I think it was a 3 ounce weight gain on the 4, but will weigh a few before definitive.

I have slept 2 and a stove in the bcs without the panel several times. It is doable, but not my favorite. You can sleep 2 better with the add in panel or very comfy in a 4 style with opposing exits. I've slept two in the bug out as well with vestibule several times. I've slept up to 4 with the stove and tarp etc. The dual bug outs with tarp and stove in the middle is cavernous for two people. It feels like they are in another zip code.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by timat46

Yes

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by huntabsarokee
Why the BCS plus panel instead of the SO 4 man tipi? I am leaning towards the 4 man. Looks to be a little larger, taller, and cheaper than the BCS plus panel. May weigh a little more though. Plus you get 2 doors with the 4 man. Any other differences I am missing? I would like to get the medium stove too. This would be for 2 guys, gear, and the stove when needed.

The BCS is more versatile. You can add the extra panel or leave it at home. I believe the BCS is taller, but Kevin would have to verify that. The BCS is a full 7' when pitched without the panel. With the panel I believe they are close to the same height.

If you do some trips solo and some with 2 guys, the BCS or the LBO would deserve a good look.

If going always with 2 guys, however, the 4 man would be a good choice.

Ed T

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Originally Posted by huntabsarokee

The BCS is more versatile. You can add the extra panel or leave it at home. I believe the BCS is taller, but Kevin would have to verify that. The BCS is a full 7' when pitched without the panel. With the panel I believe they are close to the same height.

If you do some trips solo and some with 2 guys, the BCS or the LBO would deserve a good look.

If going always with 2 guys, however, the 4 man would be a good choice.

That pretty much sums it up. The BCS is a couple inches taller without the panel and about 4 shorter with the panel. It depends on how you plan to use it.

Kevin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went through this same debate recently, looking for a tent and stove combo for a buddy and I to back country hunt with. I wanted something that would shelter us and a weeks worth of gear and bows as it can rain here in WA....for days at a time. Also wanted something large enough that he and I could take our sons on a light overnight camp/hike.

I made the list, compared weights, costs, etc. In the end I ended up with a Seek Outside 6 man tipi and large stove. Between 2 guys packing it in, the extra pound or so each was worth it for the comfort that will be gained by the large tent and stove.

Seek Outside won the day due to their weight and features.....and Kevin's putting up with all my questions.

I haven't set the tent up yet since I've only had it 2 weeks and been busy, probably this weekend to let the kids play in it and do a burn in of the stove. I laughed when I got the small box from Seek Outside. Coming from wall tents that you can park a truck inside of I couldn't believe this small and light box not only held a 6 man tent but a large stove!!

http://seekoutside.com/products/ultralight-tipis/tipittents/

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Brent13
I LOVE Kifaru products!!!! Greatest packs on the planet. Probably some of the very best tents/tarps. I would love the new Mega Tarp. I had a Paratipi, did not like it. The thing is rather large inside for square footage. Useable square footage for sleeping and sitting is horrible though. I feel the design of this one is not good if you are at all tall. I just could not stay off the tarp fabric, sitting or sleeping. Put a stove in it, and it is really bad. Just my opinion of the Paratipi........

Brent

Interesting differing view here. I have Just one packs and a long hunter. I have yet to see the longhunter do anything better/more comfortable than the Just ones have done, that only goes up to around 120 pound loads though. But I keep hearing the long hunter is best so I keep it and try it from time to time. Just like how the Just one is set up better though.

RE the paratipi, wife and I use it on backpack elk hunts. Plenty large enough to sleep just fine, and to cook and get dressed in for us. We keep our packs outside covered though.

Next step would be a tipi, but have a 6 man thast a bit much for 2 folks on a pack trip.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
Originally Posted by timat46

Yes

That really depends on how tall you are. I can't stand straight up in a tent less than 8'6" when you consider the angle of the walls and the location of the stove and center pole.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by twintips16
Ed,

Do you have any weights for your stoves posted on your web site? I couldn't find them.

The weights are as follows with 7' pipes, stove bags and all accessories:
12" 1 lb 15 oz
16" 2 lb 5 oz

22" is going to be replaced by a 10" x 18"

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had a BCS for over a year now, and here's my input:

If you're going solo some and with two some and you like head room the BCS is perfect.

If I were going with two all the time and liked head room I'd get a 4 man because you can each have your side of the tipi and a seperate exit.

LBO isn't stand up height, but is a UL one, two, or more person shelter, with the purchase of additional pieces.

I've got my eye on a LBO with vestibule for archery elk this year.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Ed,

12" 1 lb 15 oz
16" 2 lb 5 oz

Your stoves seem a lot lighter then other stoves. Im assuming that its because the volume is lower due to the fact that they are round?

How do they compare in burn times? I konw that no back country stove will ever last all night. Thats not what im after. But i just dont want to be adding small sticks every 20 min. cuase i dont have the room or space to put small kindling in.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sreekers
Al, you had a chance to play with the LBO yet?

No not yet...though it looks like a cool shelter and very modular. Though with my wife and I sleeping in a nest with our pads and bags coupled together its hard to get away from the simple square floor design of the SL-5 as it provides the most usable space for us given the weight of the shelter....something about 29 oz for 90 sq ft of shelter is pretty hard to get away from. laugh

Everyone has different needs and I can certainly see how the LBO could fit a lot of peoples different needs.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Ed,

12" 1 lb 15 oz
16" 2 lb 5 oz

Your stoves seem a lot lighter then other stoves. Im assuming that its because the volume is lower due to the fact that they are round?

How do they compare in burn times? I konw that no back country stove will ever last all night. Thats not what im after. But i just dont want to be adding small sticks every 20 min. cuase i dont have the room or space to put small kindling in.

twintips,

The burn times on my roll-up stoves are very similar to any similar volume stove. I would compare my 16" to about the same or a little more heat output than a Kifaru medium. My stoves and any with a damper will have longer burn time than a stove without a damper.

With any of the small backpackable stoves, they need to be stoked frequently to have good heat output. The lighter weight in the roll-ups comes from the thin titanium body .005 thickness.

Ed T

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by sreekers
Al, you had a chance to play with the LBO yet?

No not yet...though it looks like a cool shelter and very modular. Though with my wife and I sleeping in a nest with our pads and bags coupled together its hard to get away from the simple square floor design of the SL-5 as it provides the most usable space for us given the weight of the shelter....something about 29 oz for 90 sq ft of shelter is pretty hard to get away from. laugh

It also helps that you don't have to pay for what you don't have, just keep using what allready put cash down on.

I like how the footprint of the SO Nest fits perfect in the LBO.

Everyone has different needs and I can certainly see how the LBO could fit a lot of peoples different needs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The nest does fit nicely in the LBO, but there isn't much space to hangout in unless you are in the nest....I like that there is 60 sq ft for hanging out in bad weather and storing gear besides teh 30 sq ft for the nest.

Given the weight and the fact that the SL-5 is 100% protected from all directions, the layout of the footprint, high enough to stand up and get dressed in....all add up to the best floorless shelter I've seen so for my uses. That includes the BCS and Sawtooth, and Megatarp....Like I said just different needs for different folks. Not many people are running a two person nest with their bags coupled together nearly 100% of the time..if that wasn't the case there are certainly some other shelters that might fit my needs better.

No wrong shelter out there so long as it fits your needs best.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I didn't look after I replied, I butchered that.

Yup, all about needs. My preference is to always be able to stand up. Usually means a 6 man, especially when the snow or rain says stay put.

LBO is going to be my fast and light shelter for the overnight scouting trips this summer.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
That's really thin. Do you have any pictures of the stoves packed up? Also what grade is your titanium?

Last edited by twintips16; 02/12/13.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (6mmbrfan, 907brass, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,218
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.