Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The only Springfield 1911 that I bought went back because of a poor finish. Granted, Springfield paid for shipping both ways, but it came back refinished and it was just as poor as when it was sent in. Sold it and never looked back.
No such issues with my Colt LW Commander or my new Para SS Expert. Both are Made in USA.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I haven't wanted a new pistol in quite a while, but after shooting my BIL's new XDs, I sort of have the bug again. I've always been more of a revolver guy, the accuracy and triggers of my revolvers have sort of spoiled me. I do have a couple cheap striker fire autos and just got rid of an inaccurate Model 96 40, so it's time to upgrade. I was suprised by the accuracy and low felt recoil of the little XDs 45, but the trigger left a bit to be desired. At first I was thinking along the lines of an XDM, XDS, M&P, or Kahr, but after playing with quite a few, I just can't get past the terrible triggers. Then the 1911s caught my attention, always wanted one and the triggers on some are similar to the revolver triggers I'm fond of. The problem is it seems there are dozens of them to choose from. Looking for some suggestions on a 1911 in the sub $800 range that's worth owning. Accuracy, stock trigger, and reliablity are my main concerns. Does such an animal exist or does one have to get in the 1k+ range to get a quality 1911?

Thanks,

loder

For the money IMHO Springfield Armory brings a lot to the table

+1

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I always wanted a 1911 and recently bought a new Springfield Range Officer. Nice looking and tight tolerances. When I got it home, I noticed in good light idiot marks on the frame where the guy at the gun store had disassembled the gun and put it back together. They didn't have any more new ones, so I traded for a 1980s vintage Colt Commander and $150. The Colt is plainer, and definitely loose in comparison. But I love the Colt. There is no reason to go for tight tolerances in a gun that has to be reliable and only be accurate to 40 yards.

I think there is a reason the military went to Barettas. They are very intuitive in handling. A Kimber to me is nicely made, but all wrong in the handling.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I would get a Kimber.

They cost a bit more but IMO worth it

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
The springer range master, Kimber Pro series and even a lightly used colt should come in at your price point and all should prove very reliable with little to any work.

Trigger jobs by a good smith on 1911's aren't crazy expensive and make the trigger even sweeter.

Of course you may want to see if you can find an try a M&P that has the Apex DCAEK kit installed. They run under $80 and can be installed at home in about 30 minutes with only a punch and a set of tweezers. The instructions from apex suck but the YouTube videos shows the install well.

The M&P with the Apex kit still has a tad bit of take up but from there is glass smooth at 5-5.5 lbs and has a very short and positive reset.
I wonder�would you carry a single action pistol in condition 0 (cocked, unlocked) if it had a 5-5.5lb trigger?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got the Taurus and it's a good gun. My Springfield cost more than that, but the model the other guys are talking about would probably be okay.

I haven't even seen a Ruger. With the Sandy Hook shootings, who knows how long it might take to get one?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The high caps are hard to find since then, I wonder if the less than 10 round guns may show up more easily.

I would not pass up a Sig Sauer or a STI 1911.

Last edited by supercrewd; 02/13/13.

NRA Life Member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (22250rem, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,368
Posts18,506,502
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.