Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I sure hope Winchester doesn't stop making their 25" tubed, 9 pound 30/06 Alaskan rifle. Can't think of a better rifle for tromping around Alaska than an over 10 pound, all up, 30/06...

grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, it really tames the recoil.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ocean freight for a standard 40' container Charleston, SC to Portugal is $2000.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CWT
Ocean freight for a standard 40' container Charleston, SC to Portugal is $2000.

Yes but the parts are shipped from here and assembled there, when the completed gun(s) come back they have to be shipped UPS FEDEX to their ultimate destination.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
[/quote]

Yes but the parts are shipped from here and assembled there, when the completed gun(s) come back they have to be shipped UPS FEDEX to their ultimate destination. [/quote]

Help me understand the point you are making. Is that any different than now?

IC B2

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would they not ship them back via container to a warehouse and distribute from there?

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The worst part of this is that we eliminate American jobs for skilled gun builders, sealing their extinction.

It is incidental that there will be more restrictions and red tape and chances for diversion involved with importing foreign-made firearms.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just wow!!!! Now the fact that Model 70s are going to be assembled in another country is responsible for the extinction of skilled gun builders in America. And FN absolutely has the red tape issues well under control. None of which will effect a Stateside buyer.

Bolt action rifles are actually not one of the more complicated mechanisms that man makes.

Get over it, buy one or don't buy one. However, fine rifles will be put together buy many good smiths here in the USA and it makes little difference where a few model 70s are assembled.

laissez les bons temps rouler
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I ran out and bought one - disappointed as noted in an earlier post. I just had it out shooting in -19c and had condensation upon return indoors of course.

I want to do a thorough clean but CAN'T. The damn action is glued to the stock. What a joke. What a POS.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hey, you still have your jap vanguard to fall back on. I for one love my FN Model 70. You must have really gotten a lemon. I guess I was lucky and got a really good one!

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Vanguard_Shooter
I ran out and bought one - disappointed as noted in an earlier post. I just had it out shooting in -19c and had condensation upon return indoors of course.

I want to do a thorough clean but CAN'T. The damn action is glued to the stock. What a joke. What a POS.

The only joke I see are your "tests"...laffin'!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Hey, you still have your jap vanguard to fall back on. I for one love my FN Model 70. You must have really gotten a lemon. I guess I was lucky and got a really good one!

I have two really good ones as well, a Super Grade 30-06 and a FWT 7-08...love them. I have a FWT 22-250 on order as well.

Rob
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Originally Posted by BobinNH

You know, a quick google search reveals that they use a compound which is pretty close to GLUE to bed the wood stocks.

It took so much force to remove the stock from the action that there is now a gouge in the stock from when it 'let go'. And now that it's put back together - it seems just as tight.

The feed lips are SO sharp and rough that they destroy any brass that goes across them making them impossible to reload.

I'm not sure how that's laughable...

I really don't think it's a lemon because, again, a quick google search reveals other people with the same problems...

Oh yeah, firing pin hole is badly oversized which craters all primers.

Re: the person who spoke of my 'Jap' Vanguards.

I have 6 Vanguards and Vanguard S2s and they have all been flawless. The 'Japs' know a thing or two about quality control. From my experiences with Remington, Marlin, Savage, and now "Winchester" I would say Americans don't know the first thing about Quality control.

Last edited by Vanguard_Shooter; 12/20/12.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You know, a quick google search reveals that they use a compound which is pretty close to GLUE to bed the wood stocks.

It took so much force to remove the stock from the action that there is now a gouge in the stock from when it 'let go'. And now that it's put back together - it seems just as tight.

The feed lips are SO sharp and rough that they destroy any brass that goes across them making them impossible to reload.

I'm not sure how that's laughable...

I really don't think it's a lemon because, again, a quick google search reveals other people with the same problems...

Vanguard Shooter I should have been more diplomatic....that said, the sharp edges you complain about is the result of the ultra precise CNC machining that everyone waxes eloquent about these days....minus ( of course) the handwork and labor it takes to polish up the sharp edges so that it feed slick and smooth....something you don't get in a rifle selling for what they charged you for that FW M70.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but when you spend that kind of money ($700-$800 bucks ) for a rifle today, the hand work and fine tuning is your job.If the factory did it,they couldn't sell it to you at the price they did.Instead of complaining like the other whiners on the Internet that you googled,slick it up yourself.Sorry, but you don't get "perfection" for $800 bucks.

Second, I've personally run several thousand rounds through bolt rifles in various price categories and can recall few that did not mark up brass in one way or another......but absent a jam of some kind, I have never seen one ruin a piece of brass to the point that you can't load it....closest to perfection was hand tuned high end customs by top metal smiths (costing thousands) and Mannlicher Shoenauers.

Third,if the wood is stuck to the metal by the bedding compound, there are ways to deal with that....google it.There is no reason to be befuddled by this.

I have owned 4 M70 rifles made by FN/BACO,and shot a 5th.They all functioned to perfection,and were quite accurate without a lot of hand tuning....frankly, as an out of box factory hunting rifle they shot as well as some customs I have seen and shot.

The BACO receivers are some of the best ever put on a M70 of any vintage in terms of straightness and uniformity....that comes from a Marine armourer, not me.

So when I read your posts,I couldn't help but think to myself that your evaluation and opinion of them as a POS was not entirely based on a lot of experience...but rather a visceral reaction to a couple of non issues that any experienced shooter would expect to find in a rifle made today at that price point,and know immediately how to deal with, and fix, both.

Lastly, why anyone would want to pull a rifle apart to clean it because it got a little condensation on it,is completely beyond me...

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/20/12.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

The BACO receivers are some of the best ever put on a M70 of any vintage in terms of straightness and uniformity....that comes from a Marine armourer, not me.

Mark Penrod told me that these current M70 actions are the best Winchester has ever produced at any time. I have one of the SC guns currently and another being delivered tomorrow. The one I have (.300 Win Super Grade bought in Dec 2009) is the nicest M70 I have ever owned in 30 years of buying them.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I am in the same camp GB...I consider the SC guns to be as nice or nicer than anything winchester has ever put out...Redneck will be along shortly to chastise me... eek

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think to satisfy everyone-ok just the overly fussy-they should make them like they did in the 50s. Right here in the USA, all hand fitted, function tested, all CM and no SS, checkering that was nothing special, finish that left more than a little to be desired. Oh yea no synthetic stocks, you'll get wood and like it. There's a pun there for the real serious types. Aaannnd charge a 2012 equivalent amount to what those who wanted a pure great hunting rifle had to lay on the counter back then.

Oh it would be beyond great to sit back and read the whining that would bring about. smile or wink or crazy or cry

Last edited by battue; 12/20/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
GB: They are very good...even my beloved pre 64's can be crooked buggers to straighten out but then what can we expect considering the heat treat and machinery of the day?

I think the rifles them selves work so well because the pre 64's were so hand coddled,something over looked and lacking in todays guns, but more precisely made,nevertheless.

I would bet on a BACO gun shooting fine right from the get go....none of mine needed anything but a scope...and a better boob behind the butt stock blush

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by battue

Oh yea no synthetic stocks, you'll get wood and like it.

laugh laugh laugh

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image][Linked Image]This BACO did vary well right out of the box.

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 10ring1, 270cowboy, 44 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.