Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt
Originally Posted by JPro
Originally Posted by tzone
Nobody keeps trucks that long anymore.

In my opinion, people seem to be keeping their trucks longer and longer these days. Few folks want to pony up for a new $45k truck and drive it for 2-3 years. The average truck lasts a lot longer these days than it did back in the 80's or even the early 90's. Like I said, just my opinion......

I'll second that. I paid less than $16K for my 2500HD. I'll bet it's engine and tranny will out - last any new gas model too. I plan to keep my truck for at least another 200-300K miles, and I have no doubt it will last that long. Even factoring in occasional repairs, my truck will cost FAR less than any new full - size gas truck, and it will tow a lot more weight to boot.

every one I know including myself keeps there vehicle until there is nothing left worth salvaging, my last truck had 300+, I traded it when I couldn't a line it anymore and the doors wouldn't close (bent frame) my dad currently has a 93 GMC with 250k, my uncle is about to roll 300K on 94 Chevy, I've got a buddy with a 5.9 Cummings that last I knew was over 400k and several other friends with Cummings that have 250+

274k on my '03 Cummins so far and no plans to get rid of it. I would say the extra initial cost for the diesel has more than paid for itself. Not to mention the ease of towing and the lack of engine repairs.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would love to have a Chevy Tahoe or TOY 4 Runner with a v6 diesel.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd like a current-style 4dr Tacoma 4x4 with a stout 4cyl TD and 6spd auto please. Light-colored rubber floors and faux-leather interior would be great. I'll take one in white or tan.

+1, with manual transfer case and windows.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One would think they'd tune it differently for the Ram than for the Grand Cherokee. But they start messin' with 275-300hp and 500-550 ft/lbs (which is more than a stock 7.3) and they'll start cuttin' into their 3/4 and 1 ton market. So it'll probably stay around 240/420.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by badger

274k on my '03 Cummins so far and no plans to get rid of it. I would say the extra initial cost for the diesel has more than paid for itself. Not to mention the ease of towing and the lack of engine repairs.

I've only got 136K on my Duramax so far. Just getting broke in. wink

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
Originally Posted by AlaskanMatt

In my opinion, people seem to be keeping their trucks longer and longer these days. Few folks want to pony up for a new $45k truck and drive it for 2-3 years. The average truck lasts a lot longer these days than it did back in the 80's or even the early 90's. Like I said, just my opinion......

I'll second that. I paid less than $16K for my 2500HD. I'll bet it's engine and tranny will out - last any new gas model too. I plan to keep my truck for at least another 200-300K miles, and I have no doubt it will last that long. Even factoring in occasional repairs, my truck will cost FAR less than any new full - size gas truck, and it will tow a lot more weight to boot.

every one I know including myself keeps there vehicle until there is nothing left worth salvaging, my last truck had 300+, I traded it when I couldn't a line it anymore and the doors wouldn't close (bent frame) my dad currently has a 93 GMC with 250k, my uncle is about to roll 300K on 94 Chevy, I've got a buddy with a 5.9 Cummings that last I knew was over 400k and several other friends with Cummings that have 250+

Id love to keep a rig that long, but IME after 150K the reliability gets pretty spotty with GM and Dodge rigs. I dont need a rodeo with a broken down rig halfway into my annual MT trip.
PLus the the 01 dodge diesel I had ate multiple injection pumps, a tranny, a transfer case, several complete front ends in under 175k. Add up those bills and I would have been better off spinning it at a 100k.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sounds like you got a lemon. Most of those rigs run without major problems for hundreds of thousands of miles. The Fords and Dodges eat trannies, but other than that.....

I know a few guys who run hotshot businesses with Duramax Chevys and have gone a million+ miles on the original engines AND trannies with no major repairs.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The 06 Duramax I had was better than the dodge, but the injectors where going, and I replaced the front end, all four abs wheel sensors, the steering box was leaking oil, and the steering shaft from the wheel to the box was shot. I spun it way before 100k.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

WOW baby, you guys are paying to much for your trucks down there!! I thought they were cheaper in the US??
I paid approx $30 for my new 2012 F-150, crew cab XLT with tow/package. With 360hp & 380fp torque, that little 302 has more than enough power & pulls 26-28mpg(cdn gals) @ 60mph.

As I said unless your into hard core pulling I see absolutely no reason for a diesel. You sure ain't ever gonna get the initial extra cost back on fuel savings.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by BWalker
I have heard that the HI-Lux with the Toyotas D4D diesel engine get around 30mpg.
The only thing I dislike about my 13 Tacoma is the mileage sucks for a small truck.

I don't think of the Taco as a small truck anymore.

Its the same size as the 95 Chevy S-10 I had, so I would say its small.
Last week I got 15mpg on a strictly hwy driving trip with the cruise st at 70mph. Of course this was with Milwaukee, WI blended fuel.

I was thinking of how much the Taco has changed. When I pull my '95 Taco next to a current one - Wow. It's like my truck on steroids!

The '95 being the first year they came out, they are very much like the Hilux before them.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Article I saw was saying 30 mpg highway for the 2wd and 28 highway for the 4wd with the diesel in the Grand Cherokee. I have to wonder if a 4wd 1/2 ton truck will get those numbers? Maybe mid 20s?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
A lot depends on driving habits.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ironbender
A lot depends on driving habits.

Absolutely. I would deduct at least 10% from those numbers to get a real world idea of what to expect. Seems like I never get close to EPA estimates, or what "the internet experts" claim for mileage. Of course, being honest helps smile

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It depends on whether you take your normal or your best mileage. I make a round trip from Gillette to Casper and back on a quarter tank once because the roads were icy and I was going about 45mph. It normally takes a half tank.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think most people fool themselves by always quoting their highway fuel economy. The vast majority don't drive ONLY on the highway, so the HWY number doesn't reflect what they actually pay at the pump. Example: My truck can get 25+ MPG on the highway, but I always wind up driving some city miles too, which brings my overall average in summer to 19.6 MPG. (calculated over about 7K miles) With the winter fuel blend, and extra idle time in the winter my overall average has dropped to 16.8 MPG. The combined fuel economy number is a more realistic representation of what you're actually going to be paying for.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Spooling up the turbo is a lot of fun and making 9000 lbs of pickup jump. It's not good for mpg though.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by mudhen
Ford says that they will offer a 3.2 liter diesel in the F-150 in 2014. (Couldn't retrieve the link from Car and Driver--must have to be a subscriber.)

oooooohhhh, the chance to buy another Ford Diesel! Am I the only one just a bit more than a little skeptical of Ford and diesels right now?

Not just "no", but "hell no".

I've been running my '11 6.7L for 11Mo, 24K mi, and no troubles, as there shouldn't be. I'd love to run it to 250K+, I guess we'll see how things shake out.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mossy
Originally Posted by levrluvr
As I said, horsepower is a fictitious number derived at one specific rpm, and is only a measurement on the ABILITY TO DO WORK. In the real world, only torque matters.

Exactly,HP is the ability to do work. The more HP an engine (any engine) has the faster it can do that work.

These two engines have similar torque,one has way more HP. You're kidding yourself if you think this diesel has any chance of keeping up with a Hemi towing similar loads.
Have you ever owned or towed with a diesel truck?Just curious?My 2004 dodge cummins 5.9 diesel with about 300 HP.would out pull any hemi 360 hp.engine.Its all about Torque.coobie

Last edited by coobie; 02/23/13.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A few early reviews out are quite glowing regarding the 3.0 liter diesel in the Grand Cherokee. Anxious to see if it will really deliver 28 mpg on the highway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by duckster
A few early reviews out are quite glowing regarding the 3.0 liter diesel in the Grand Cherokee. Anxious to see if it will really deliver 28 mpg on the highway.

That Italian engine looks like a real good one. Diesel Power Magazine is now saying that GM and Ford won't be selling 1/2T diesel trucks this year.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (7887mm08, 35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,487 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,515
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.