Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by duckster
Article I saw was saying 30 mpg highway for the 2wd and 28 highway for the 4wd with the diesel in the Grand Cherokee. I have to wonder if a 4wd 1/2 ton truck will get those numbers? Maybe mid 20s?

Maybe. The older technology Toytota Hi-luxes get mid to high 20's in 4WD I was told by South Africans I used to work with. The Grand might be a tad lighter vehicle.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Article I saw was saying 30 mpg highway for the 2wd and 28 highway for the 4wd with the diesel in the Grand Cherokee. I have to wonder if a 4wd 1/2 ton truck will get those numbers? Maybe mid 20s?

Maybe. The older technology Toytota Hi-luxes get mid to high 20's in 4WD I was told by South Africans I used to work with. The Grand might be a tad lighter vehicle.

Keep in mind South Africa used Imperial gallons before they went metric.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Keep in mind South Africa used Imperial gallons before they went metric.

What's the diff? The SA guy I worked with was/is one of the smartest dudes I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. I'm pretty sure he knew how to do the math if it was crazy different than US gal and he'd been to the US and Europe a bunch.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Imperial gallons are about 5 US quarts. (25% 'bigger' gallons) Canada used the same measure prior to going metric.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a '73 F-100 that would be a damned good candidate for a 5.9 two valve motor. It's on its 3rd owner and 3rd 302. Miles? Speedo hasn't worked for ten years! Just waiting to find the right wrecked truck, and if it could coincide with tax return season, that would be great! Even a turbo'd 7.3 with mechanical injection would be good.
Wait and see game right now.

Sean
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mossy
Originally Posted by TC1
With 1/2 ton V8 gas engine pickups getting around 20 MPG's (HWY) these days. What kind of MPG's would you consider acceptable for this new diesel engine considering diesel is $.60-.70 more a gallon?

I'll take the 360HP Hemi at 20mpg over a 240HP diesel at 25mpg anyday.

The Hemi is gonna smoke this diesel in towing performance.

I'm betting your flat wrong. HP doesnt mean chit really, where towing is concerned. Torque, torque, torque. And the diesel has the hemi beat on that, not too mention reaching its torque curve at much lower rpms, which helps a great deal when pulling a load.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by tx270
Originally Posted by Mossy
Originally Posted by TC1
With 1/2 ton V8 gas engine pickups getting around 20 MPG's (HWY) these days. What kind of MPG's would you consider acceptable for this new diesel engine considering diesel is $.60-.70 more a gallon?

I'll take the 360HP Hemi at 20mpg over a 240HP diesel at 25mpg anyday.

The Hemi is gonna smoke this diesel in towing performance.

I'm betting your flat wrong. HP doesnt mean chit really, where towing is concerned. Torque, torque, torque. And the diesel has the hemi beat on that, not too mention reaching its torque curve at much lower rpms, which helps a great deal when pulling a load.

Exactly right. Low RPM torque beats high RPM horsepower for towing every time.

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
High RPM=High HP = low MPG

If you really like something,you better buy two!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny boys with their toys. Your hemi makes more HP than my Semi tractor with a 12 L Detroit diesel in it...... Want to see which truck pulls a trailer better? I'll pull 60,000 lbs up a 5% grade at 58 MPH. All day long......

Who wants to hold the bets? I'll give odds....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I just got a 1/2 and 1/2 ton truck with a real diesel engine. 2012, the last year you can get a diesel without having to add Urea...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I just got a 1/2 and 1/2 ton truck with a real diesel engine. 2012, the last year you can get a diesel without having to add Urea...

Just wondering why you have to add Urea??

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Urea is a much better solution than injecting extra fuel to regen the catalyst, which is what Dodge uses.
Nice rig, btw Shrap.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker
Urea is a much better solution than injecting extra fuel to regen the catalyst, which is what Dodge uses.
Nice rig, btw Shrap.

Actually, all manufacturers are required to add Urea to supposedly cut down on emissions, Dodge was the last to switch to the new fuel requirements, Ford and GM have already gone.

Caterpillar has indicated that they will not produce diesel engines for the truck market anymore due to the Urea requirement and produce engines for construction and off-road applications where Urea isn't required...

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

What sort of MPG's are you getting? I hear so many wide spread numbers when it comes to diesel pick ups.

BTW, nice looking truck!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BWalker
Nice rig, btw Shrap.

Actually, all manufacturers are required to add Urea to supposedly cut down on emissions, Dodge was the last to switch to the new fuel requirements, Ford and GM have already gone.

Caterpillar has indicated that they will not produce diesel engines for the truck market anymore due to the Urea requirement and produce engines for construction and off-road applications where Urea isn't required...

From what I understand Dodge's way of getting by without urea for the last few years was by using fuel to regen a nox absorber catalyst. The engines using urea injection use a scr catalyst, which reduces nox more efficiently. With the ability to control nox to lower levels the engines have more leeway in the air fuel ratios they can run which has mileage benefits in addition to not wasting fuel regenerating. The urea sytems are simply better technology.

Last edited by BWalker; 03/02/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The latest diesels use urea injection (DEF) and DPF which injects extra fuel (ca. 1/2 gal/tank) to clean the DPF approx. every 400 mi (dependant on driving conditions).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A buddy of mine bought a 12 3/4 ton long box for $35k, what a deal. Yours looks good also.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TC1

[Linked Image]

What sort of MPG's are you getting? I hear so many wide spread numbers when it comes to diesel pick ups.

BTW, nice looking truck!

I only have a couple hundred miles on it. I went prairie dog shooting today, over and back, driving dirt roads and fields, netted 14.2 MPG

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A good discussion, but with a lot of rationalizing by people to support what they own. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I am sold on diesels and the economics make more sense when you consider a few facts. Diesel fuel costs about $.35 more here in Nevada but last year it was cheaper than gas for awhile. In the future it is likely to cost less gas with the advent of biodiesel. My 2002 Ford I bought new and has only 126,000 miles on it. It is worth a lot more than a similar gas truck. I can easily keep it another 10 years or more. I will probably trade it eventually for a diesel 1/2 ton.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Won't most of the drivetrain in these half ton trucks have to be upgraded for a diesel application? Might as well get a 3/4 ton. I guess I don't see the need for a light towing rig with a diesel. I definitely don't see the need for a diesel non towing daily driver. mtmuley

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 78 invisible), 3,077 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,106
Posts18,483,278
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.