Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
dwaba-- Shooting a buffalo through both shoulders with a 500 grain bullet out of a Sharps DOES NOT result in a shameful waste of meat. You have obviously never seen one of these rifles work on a large animal. There is minimal meat damage, far less than a modern rifle and a jacketed bullet. The old timers said that you "could eat right up to the hole." They were right.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
THAT will work!

Hey, there's a man that seen that combo bellow black smoke grin, I sure think it will Sharpsguy. <G>

Gunner

Orrrrr,breakin in a new 45/110 with 96 grs of KIK 2F and a big ole trot line sinker! grin Loaded up a half dozen and took it out on a stump over the hill..after the smoke cleared the stump needs first aid !! laugh

[Linked Image]

Sweet Jazus that purty Woody, those sombishes arrive with a helluva WHOP dont they? Bet that old stump is awful sore. grin

Gunner

Jerry NOW I gotta be real careful when shooting around a herd of deer or speed goats you know lack of penetration an all! eek grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Woody--You've gotta be careful around a herd of buffalo with one of these rifles, too. Of the five buffalo I have killed and the other seven or eight I have seen shot, the ONLY bullets I have seen recovered were a 450 grain cast bullet out of a 45-90 and a 405 factory Remington load out of a Marlin 45-70 lever gun. I have never failed to shoot through and through a buffalo with either a 45-70 or a 45-110 using a 500 to 515 grain bullet. Be careful around a herd, or you will wind up killing two with one shot. Seriously.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10-4 buying a duce would be bad juju!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would probably use my 1895 marlin cowboy in 45/70. Now I would love to use either a shiloh 1874 sharps or a 475 turnbull in one of his 1886's.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
45/110 540 g Paper patched slug.106 g GOEX Express FFG
[Linked Image]

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Baylian
What cartridge and rifle would you use for North American Buffalo? Free roaming animals. Western hunt.

Thanks, TJ

I know a fellow that works for the Crow Tribe as a game warden of sorts. He goes along on a bunch of the bison hunts the tribe sells in the foothills of the Bighorns. Sounds like it turns into a rodeo quite often due to poor shooting - one thing he mentioned that really stood out in my mind is how many old fogies who couldn't see would show up with their open sighted "Buffaler Rifles", and subsequently wound a bull. IIRC, he packs a Mini-14, and has had to finish off quite a few.

Not knocking their use, just relating a story; if I went after another I would be packing my Pa's Shiloh Sharps 45-70.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Up here, F&G requires that your rifle shoot a 200gr bullet minimum with 2000 ft/lbs. retained at 100 yards. So, for my hunt, I'm thinking the 358 Norma and 225gr A-Frames or my 300 RUM with 200gr A-Frames. At least I until October or so to decide. grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
10-4 buying a duce would be bad juju!

BOOOMMM, one shot, two trophy fees cry LOL, Yes, I've heard those Sharps rifles "WAY UNDER-PENETRATE" on deer. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've shot three buffalo, one with a 35 Whelen with a 250 grain Speer cup and core,and the last two with a 260 Remington with 140 grain Speer Grandslams. All three were shot behind the ear and didn't even take one step. All you have to do is make sure of your backstop so you don't hit two because the 260 will go clear through a buffalo's neck.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just a Hunter,

A lot of trouble with killing bison is caused by poor shooting--mostly due to not knowing their anatomy. Due to the hump, the heart and lungs are lower in the chest than with many other animals, and the spine ain't where it is in deer and elk either.

Most of the horror stories I've heard about wounded bison were about guys who used some supposedly adequate modern rifle with premium bullets and shot too high, just fringing the top of the lungs. One guy used a .458 Lott and absolutely guaranteed the outfitter the bull would be down and dead with one shot. They ended up chasing it around for half a day in rather thick Texas cover, ending up putting several more holes in the bull before it died. Same thing happened to a Wyoming buffalo rancher I know, except the guy he guided used a .338 Winchester with some sort of premium 250-grain bullets.

If you're going to chest-shoot them, aim NO MORE than 1/3 of the way up the chest, and a foot a bove the bottom of the chest of a mature bull will take out the top of the heart.

Yep! A lot of grief could be averted with accurate shooting no matter what caliber.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hope to someday draw a tag for the Henry's here in Utah.

This bull taken by a freind @ over 10,000FT..not your typical ranch bison hunt.300 win 180NP

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

If you're going to chest-shoot them, aim NO MORE than 1/3 of the way up the chest, and a foot above the bottom of the chest of a mature bull will take out the top of the heart.

This takes the drama out of shooting Bison. Shot placement in the location as described by MD puts them down pronto

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
I've shot three buffalo, one with a 35 Whelen with a 250 grain Speer cup and core,and the last two with a 260 Remington with 140 grain Speer Grandslams. All three were shot behind the ear and didn't even take one step. All you have to do is make sure of your backstop so you don't hit two because the 260 will go clear through a buffalo's neck.

No doubt BB, many ways to get it done, and get it done right and quick, but, I would dearly love to line the barrel sights of my Sharps rifle on a bison.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Woody--You've gotta be careful around a herd of buffalo with one of these rifles, too. Of the five buffalo I have killed and the other seven or eight I have seen shot, the ONLY bullets I have seen recovered were a 450 grain cast bullet out of a 45-90 and a 405 factory Remington load out of a Marlin 45-70 lever gun. I have never failed to shoot through and through a buffalo with either a 45-70 or a 45-110 using a 500 to 515 grain bullet. Be careful around a herd, or you will wind up killing two with one shot. Seriously.

I have been around plenty of buffalo kills with everything from a 30-06 to 300 WBY mag for modern calibers, plenty Sharps rifles and cartridges, but the drop 'em dead in their tracks will only happen with a well placed brain shot. As sharpsguy has posted here, you have to be careful how many buffalo you can get lined up, as a 45-70 will penetrate even 2.

The second picture is a bull that was shot with a 45-70 in a Montana Centennial rifle with 405 grain cast bullets. There were buffalo lined up behind and the bullet passed clear through the first bull a second cow and hit the leg of a third buffalo. Others I have seen shot with Sharps rifles, through the heart and they still can travel a bit before going down. Anyone that has been around buffalo and shooting them will acknowledge the fact that you have to be prepared to follow the hunted animal and not lose him in a crowd, as they can go quite awhile with a lethal shot in them.

Penetration was the factor in the old buffalo cartridges. I can tell you from experience, a 45-70 with a hard cast bullet will easily penetrate even the largest buffalo. All a 45-110, or a 45-120 will do, is hit the ground a little harder on the other side...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
gunner500 I have been shooting my 1st Shiloh since 1992. It took a few years to learn how to load for it. Most of the advice I got from them "in the know" was to have it rebarreled and chambered for a 45-70 or other little cartridge. The 3 1/4" cases take some work but they do shoot well once you are on track and understand what they need. since then I've shot a couple of mule deer and antelope with my 3 1/4 50. I shot a 1 1/2 year old bull down in the Nebraska Sandhills 1 month ago with my 45 2 7/8 and paper patched bullets,2 wks later a friend used my rifle and ammo to shoot his. Doing it like this, the way they did it with the use of the same equipment gives a guy a better perspective on how tough it was back then. You don't get that shooting behind the ear with a modern ctr fire and scope.Both of us had to stalk our animals and wait for an opportunity to shoot( cleared animal with no other in the way). . Some will say no big deal but these buffalo get shot at from Labor day to presidents day and they know 2 legged varmints are up to no good.In a sense it's tougher now ,back then they didn't care whether the buffalo die in 1 min or 2 hrs as long as they got the tongue or the hide. Now we all strive for a humane one shot kill. Winter haired buffalo have lots of hair 2-4" hanging below the body line, other than their face a buffalos head is covered with long curly hair . Picking his ear or earhole out of that hair over ironsights at over 100 yds might not be as simple as some here suggest.If you can do that,by all means do as you like but as MD suggested behind the frt leg tight 12" up from the hair line is a better shot for an ironsight user.One of them Henry Mts tags and a bull like the one pictured with my 45- 2 7/8 or 50 3 1/4 would be a mighty fine event in my life. Wished now I wouldn't have waited as long as I did to shoot the 1 st one. It will allways be a Sharps-bp-paper patched bullet for me on buffalo. Magnum Man

Last edited by Magnum_Man; 02/17/13.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice post and thanks for the info MM, I will christen my 45-120 on a bison this fall, the 500 gr Jerry Dean flat nosed greaser at 1409 fps is a real hammer, and very accurate.

Sharpsguy and ET been walking me through this Sharps rifle process, so far so good.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't care if I can take a bison with a 300 Savage, I'm still trying to justify that 458 Win Mag and you guys aren't helping at all.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I'd be keen to have a crack with my 9.3x62, or alternatively load an arrow on to the rest and try and sneak up real close.

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 14,333 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,163
Posts18,542,924
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.