Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I stopped at a gun shop today on the way to the range. It's a small shop in a small town. I bumped into an aquaintance outside and asked him what he was up to. "Buying a gun and selling one", he said. I asked him what he was selling and he told me he had a Winchester 32 WCF lever action. I told him that I might be interested and to go ahead and see what the owner would pay for it and then we could discuss it. I milled around the store and bought a magazine for my 1911 and after a bit, this guy called my name. I went over to the counter and he said, " This guy is going to give me $700 for this rifle". " What would you pay?" The owner came out of his chair and his wife got in my face. I turned around and left. I don't know what model the Winchester was. It had a octagon barrel and the butt was crescant. Dang nice rifle. Too bad the seller is an idiot.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot of business owners get mad in that situation because your making a deal in their store. Best to go outside or somewhere else to discuss.

Last edited by highridge1; 02/15/13.

1 and done
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I was the owner I would have been pissed too.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
If I was the owner I would have been pissed too.

Yep.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Think the point was, seller's lack of sophistication blew any chance. Gotta learn somehow; bad timing!

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, the seller be a dumbschit.

Prolly a nice old 94 too.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Do your deal outside the shop. Don't use the guns shop owner as a Stalking Horse.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It had to have been a model 92 if it was .32 wcf.... and if I were the owner of the gun store Id have tossed you to the street with instructions to NEVER come back...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken didnt do anything wrong by telling the guy to go ahead and try the store.

The seller was a dumbschitt for doing what he did... I saw a guy a week ago try and offer a guy $25 for an old Colt pistol because it needed a small part. TOTAL BS. This Colt would bring at least $500 in any respectable shop...

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The way I read the OP is that he understood the owners' irritation & blamed the seller of the gun for putting him in that position.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't think the OP did anything wrong...in fact, he left when the seller showed that he was an idiot...

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
It had to have been a model 92 if it was .32 wcf.... and if I were the owner of the gun store Id have tossed you to the street with instructions to NEVER come back...

Coulda been a '73, too, Poopbah.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well that sucks!

but yeah I don't find the OP at fault, to me he did the honorable thing

it was the guy that had the rifle that screwed up

if he'd have said "Well let me think about it" and walked outside with the rifle, no doubt OP would have hit the parking lot and they could have determined if he would have paid more.

just bad circumstances.

If the owner was apprised of the full story and still feels the OP was persona non grata, I'd be happy to comply were I in his shoes.

if it was accurately depicted then imo the OP did nada wrong, just the seller

loose lips, sink ships

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84

The seller was a dumbschitt for doing what he did... I saw a guy a week ago try and offer a guy $25 for an old Colt pistol because it needed a small part. TOTAL BS. This Colt would bring at least $500 in any respectable shop...

Like an 'Antiques Roadshow' recently where a man had an old violin. He was offered $1000 for it by a music shop and had it evaluated at the show. Value was placed at $50,000.

Retired cat herder.

K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I had no intention of discussing buying the rifle in the store and especially not in front of the owner. I expected the seller to get an apprasial from the owner and we could talk about it later. Moral of the story, never assume anything.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeh not your fault, he made a bad judgement call.

1 and done
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gun shop gun buy

Was in the old Shapells gun shop over in Boise years ago looking through a box of used dies when a couple of guys walked in with a nice old double barrel, and a sawed off (18 1/4" barrel) single shot 12 guage to sell.

The deal was made and the sellers left, owner picked up the double, and a guy right there handy picked up the sawed off 12. As he looked it over ( it was kinda rough looking) the owner offered it to him for twenty bucks, saying " this is what I really wanted, and I'd just as soon that wasn't in the shop" as he held up, and looked over the double.
guy looked the 12 over a bit and laid it on the counter. I let him get about a step away and I said, "I'll take it."

Took it home, did a little fixin, and it stands behind the bedroom door as I write this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You should have made an offer before he went in the store.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by g5m
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84

Like an 'Antiques Roadshow' recently where a man had an old violin. He was offered $1000 for it by a music shop and had it evaluated at the show. Value was placed at $50,000.

It's entirely possible the music shop owner didn't fully realize the full value of the violin as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It may be bad form, but as an honest businessman, I'd have no issues with someone knowing what I offered for the rifle. Just because it's a fair deal, don't mean the guy can't get more for it.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want people thinking they could do business like this all the time, but I wouldn't get THAT upset about it. You'd have to be a fool to think that it's not happening behind your back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (35, 338rcm, 7mm_Loco, 6mmbrfan, Angus1895, 13 invisible), 1,338 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,450
Posts18,507,950
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.