Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MacLorry
This is what I found on the MagnetoSpeed FAQ page.

Can the MagnetoSpeed affect barrel harmonics (e.g. the location and size of my shot grouping)?

Anything mounted on the end of the gun can affect the location of your groups because the added mass changes the characteristic vibrations of the barrel. The MagnetoSpeed is intended to be used for velocity measurements only; when shooting for high accuracy simply remove the MagnetoSpeed. Most shooters will use this device to characterize their loads on a short range, before trying any long range shot accuracy trials. Now if you are shooting a shotgun it's another story. Shotgun accuracy and pattern is virtually unaffected and for the first time ever one can chronograph loads WHILE hunting!

Here's one person who has discovered that the point of impact and group size are effected dramatically.

Originally Posted by Mort on AR15.com
I have recently purchased a new chronograph from an outfit called magnetospeed that does not use light sensors. Instead it measures changes in magnetic fields. The sensor attaches to the rifle barrel and looks like a bayonet for the mentally challenged.

I like this chronograph because it is much easier to use than most traditional chronographs and the display/computer module is really well designed. One problem I have encountered is that since the chronograph is attached to the barrel the point of impact and group size are effected dramatically. I deal with this by loading twice the ammo I want to test, firing my standard string without the chronograph to get POI data, then I fire another string with the chronograph attached to get MV. This method is a bit wasteful and it doesn't actually get me the velocity data for the rounds fired.

If anyone at Larue has time for another project I think there would be a market for a mount that attaches these chronographs to side or bottom accessory rails of the OBR and similar rifles.

��Mort

How much the group size is affected by the MagnetoSpeed being mounted to the end of the barrel likely depends on the particular gun and just how finely tuned the load is to that gun. If you develop loads while chronographing like I do, than the convenience of the MagnetoSpeed is outweighed by the possibility that once you think the load development is done your group size opens up significantly when the MagnetoSpeed is removed from the barrel.

I will stick to my 35p. A little back and forth walking but you can do all at once.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find it very fasinating. With all the reading I do on shooting and reloading, I have never heard ot it. It is a great idea, but I do think it would have some effect on barrel vibes as Dutch mentions.

It is a start and I'm sure lead to more innovations. Please keep us advised as to your experiences with it.

NRA Life Member

"You might as well be wrong, as be right and not know it"
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Anything new on this chronograph?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by postoak
Anything new on this chronograph?

A guy at one of the local ranges was using a MagnetoSpeed, but I noticed that he had to switch the sensor to other rifles he brought and when a buddy wanted to check his load they had to fiddle quite a bit to get the sensor to work on that rifle.

In the meantime, I had my 35P set up and I could just pick up any of my rifles and fire them without fiddling and when a buddy wanted to fire his rifle there was no set up required. Besides the convenience of not having to switch the sensor to every rifle I want to test, I'm assured the 35P has no affect on my group size or point of impact, so I can test for accuracy, zero, and velocity all at the same time.

The MagnetoSpeed looks good on paper and draws a lot of attention, but if you take more than one rifle to the range and don't want to load up twice as many rounds to test both velocity and accuracy separately you'll save both time and ammo using a 35P.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I tried it on two rifles. Less than a minute to set up and I did it while the line was hot. Already had my accuracy loads, just needed to know the speeds to plug into my ballistic app. Worked great for my use and no screwing around with tripods, screens, and delays getting set up.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1minute, 160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 52 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,337
Posts18,487,680
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.