-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Excellent! You say he won't accept assistance, but what if we wanted to help anyway?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If, for no other reason, this were just a story it shows what a bunch of good hearted folks are round here. I have seen many gifts to folks by folks that likely never met. Gifts of gun parts for deserving nimrods. Offers of help when someone lists a rifle or such for sale because of a time of need and then more than just several offer to loan or flat out give the needed money to the person in need. Pretty good stuff. Yep, I get the wet eye from that. I have been on both sides of the deal and while it feels better to give it is amazingly nice to have someone, especially a stranger offer a hand.

If it were me and someone snatched some wood I had cut, I would have been pissed off and if I were to have found a note as in the above story, I'd be pissed at my initial reaction. The guy took something that wasn't theirs and then came back to stand up for the offense. I don't approve of theft but I do respect someone standing up for their mistake.

Makes one think. A lot of what if's come into play.

What if you'd have caught the fellow redhanded, would you believe them if they said the story given? Would you (no pun intended) give them the wood?
What if it was a scruffy fellow and not a vet but the situation was the same?
What if it was a person of another race and the situation was the same?
What if he had an Obama sticker on the truck and the situation was other wise the same?

Makes one think.

Makes me think what an ass I would have likely made of my self and how bad I'd feel after realizing if it were my daughter that was hungry or cold, I know what I would have done if I was in that fellows position...

Be safe and keep warm
Patty

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
i'd still like to help. he can do what he likes with the giftcard but i'd like to think the kids are taken care of

Last edited by mjbgalt; 02/21/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
He gave an explanation to what motivated him to steal the firewood. If it is true, I could see why he was desperate. His young wife died in a car accident just three weeks after he got out of the army, leaving him with two kids under the age of five. Couldn't find a job, medical bills took all their savings, forced air furnace broke down and could not afford a replacement, but someone gave him an old wood stove. He needed firewood immediately, but no money to buy any.

This guy was in a streak of bad luck. My wife wanted to adopt the whole bunch.

For me what saved his arse was he addressed me as "Sir" and my wife "Maam." Was X military and had a Bush/Cheney bumper sticker on his old pickup.

I am not going take his dignity... I am putting him to work tomorrow and let him decide what his time is worth to work off two pickup loads of firewood.

You are doing the right thing.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by cowdoc
My father told me of an incident back during the depression in the early 30's.

My grandfather had eight kids to feed, shelter and clothe. He rented a small farm, was a carpenter, gravedigger, sold and delivered firewood, anything to make a dollar. A big garden, milk cow, chickens, a pig or two. Sugar? That was a special treat, grandpa made cane molasses for sweetener. Lots of hard work, the kids had to pitch in, too.

Grandpa had put up ear corn in a crib to feed the critters that winter. Thought it was disappearing somehow, he caught a neighbor filling a gunny sack at 2:00 am. Grandpa didn't say a word, just stood there and watched him fill his sack, tears streaming down the neighbor's face. Not a word was exchanged. The neighbor walked off into the night, crying, with his sack.

Grandpa could of knuckled his head, but he knew that it wasn't animal feed being stolen. The neighbor had a houseful of kids to feed, too. He was taking it to feed his family.
God bless your Granddad. A lot of 'city folk' in Corrigan Texas survived the Great Depression eating for free out of my 'poor' granddads small farm. Before the depression he was considered poor but did fine through it, while previous town upper crust ate even the rinds of the watermelons he let them take from his fields.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Roundoak-- You and your wife are good people!

I'm sure a real Man, like you saw today, will be just fine outside of the grief of losing a spouse because character goes a long way.

Your character is evident too! wink (meant in the best way possible)

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
a lot of the time military families have life insurance that stays with them even if they leave the service. wonder if they had any coverage?

i'd say now is a damn good time for him to buy some if he doesn't have any. those kids on their own with no money is even worse.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Roundoak-

My offer still stands. Should we be able to send some cash to help him out, please get me an address, or let me send it to you to forward to him. Or maybe we could do something for the kids if he'd allow it. There's a bunch of people that want to help. I hope he will let us.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
yep. or you buy him something he needs and you tell him it's from us and don't give him the damn receipt so he can't refuse.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
a lot of the time military families have life insurance that stays with them even if they leave the service. wonder if they had any coverage?

i'd say now is a damn good time for him to buy some if he doesn't have any. those kids on their own with no money is even worse.

Service members are covered, not the rest of the fa

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
well at least that part is ok...just a horrible thing to go through and especially with kids. the guy needs a break.

hell, maybe we can somehow help fix the furnace

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like he's going to be ok..let's hope he can find another Lady in his life when the time is right. Thanks for the update Roundoak!

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That young Vet gave us all a gift. The chance to do a little self examination that is good for the soul and not done often enough. His situation could be or could have been one any of us faced. in handling the situation, I would like to think I would have been slow enough to anger that I could get the truth of it before I blew up at him and said things I would regret later. I feel like I owe him....

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks roundoak - you handled all of that like a really good man and I appreciate the update. I would still like to help that family if you see a way and, clearly, many more here would as well.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by achildofthesky
If, for no other reason, this were just a story it shows what a bunch of good hearted folks are round here. I have seen many gifts to folks by folks that likely never met. Gifts of gun parts for deserving nimrods. Offers of help when someone lists a rifle or such for sale because of a time of need and then more than just several offer to loan or flat out give the needed money to the person in need. Pretty good stuff. Yep, I get the wet eye from that. I have been on both sides of the deal and while it feels better to give it is amazingly nice to have someone, especially a stranger offer a hand.

If it were me and someone snatched some wood I had cut, I would have been pissed off and if I were to have found a note as in the above story, I'd be pissed at my initial reaction. The guy took something that wasn't theirs and then came back to stand up for the offense. I don't approve of theft but I do respect someone standing up for their mistake. Makes one think. A lot of what if's come into play.

What if you'd have caught the fellow redhanded, would you believe them if they said the story given? Would you (no pun intended) give them the wood?
What if it was a scruffy fellow and not a vet but the situation was the same?
What if it was a person of another race and the situation was the same?
What if he had an Obama sticker on the truck and the situation was other wise the same? Makes one think. Makes me think what an ass I would have likely made of my self and how bad I'd feel after realizing if it were my daughter that was hungry or cold, I know what I would have done if I was in that fellows position...
Be safe and keep warm
Patty
Patty - thanks for this thoughtful, and thought-provoking, post.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
[quote=Mathsr]That young Vet gave us all a gift. The chance to do a little self examination that is good for the soul and not done often enough. His situation could be or could have been one any of us faced. in handling the situation, I would like to think I would have been slow enough to anger that I could get the truth of it before I blew up at him and said things I would regret later. I feel like I owe him....[/quote

+1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
well at least that part is ok...just a horrible thing to go through and especially with kids. the guy needs a break.

hell, maybe we can somehow help fix the furnace
That damn furnace was part of the problem in the first place. Can we contribute to the repair or all of us throw in for a new system? Say the word boys and I'm in.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
that was my thought.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Roundoak, I respect you for the way you handled the situation. Not only for making him follow thru but then showing him kindness.

He had to learn what he did was wrong but also that he showed character and that's something we hold in high regard. We all make mistakes but it's how we handle those mistakes that defines a man's worth.

Maybe as suggested we could help the man with a furnace and in return if he's ever in a situation where he can help someone else, we'd appreciate it if he did so.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great thread!

Oh, and some of you guys are trying too hard. Just leave the guy be.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, 9 invisible), 1,270 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,227
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.