Print Thread
Hop To
W
WITUfan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I often see posts on here that indicate Leupold scopes are overrated or that more can be had for the money. I'm not trying to start any arguments, I am honestly seeking information. I need to buy a scope this summer and was leaning toward a 2-7x VX2. I also hope to need at least one more 3-9x type scope in the next year or so. With that, I want to get the most that I can for my money.

Brief history and impressions: 20 years or so ago, I put a 2-7x vari-xii (I think that is the right model name) on my primary hunting rifle. While we all have different make and caliber rifles, my 2 long-time hunting partners run similar aged Leupolds on their primary rifles to this day. Nobody has a had a failure or a missed opportunity because of their scope. I like rifles though, and as time has gone by, I have accumulated several more scopes, because of my initial success with one, several are Leupolds. I have a vxii 3-9x, a vx2 3-9x (newest), a vx3 2.5-8x and even a Redfield Revolution 3-9x (not on a hunting rifle). I also have experience with the next to last Nikon Monarch, a Nikon Prostaff, some cheaper Bushnell, etc., and about a 10 year old Burris FFii. My old Leupold 2-7x was replaced on my trusty old .30/06 with the VX3. Although the 2-7x isn't as clear as the newer stuff, I plan to use it on another rifle. I find the Revolution about on par with the 2-7x. Serviceable, but not what I am looking for. I think the vxii is a little behind the Burris and definitely behind the VX3. I honestly can't tell any difference between the VX3 and VX2 (my eyes aren't what they used to be, so maybe it is there). My Dad has a Bushnell 4200 and a good buddy has a Conquest (really like it, but don't know how much better it is than a VX3). The above are just my impressions and based on brightness and clarity. When I can, I would like to get all of them together in poor light and look through them successively.

Sorry for the long-winded background, but I thought knowing what I have looked through might help here. Also, of note, I had one QC issue with a Leupold. The VX3 had a blurry spot when I got it. I returned it and it was fixed.

Needs and expectations: I hunt in varied terrain. Shots are often close in the woods, but may stretch out to 250. I like to be able to stretch that another hundred or so for antelope or as needed. I don't shoot long range, although it looks like fun when at paper or a gong. I have no interest in doing that hunting. I do need some light gathering ability for cloudy days, in the woods, at dawn and dusk. I have always been able to get that out of what I have. I want a scope that is dependable and tough. I want a good warranty - I believe if I pay more than $100 for something it should last a while. I need (finances) to stay in the $250-$500 range on my next few scopes so please don't tell me a $2k scope is better. I am sure it is and I wish I had a dozen of them. Maybe I'll start on that when I don't have to worry about raising my family.

With that as the search image, what scopes should I be looking for?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If not in a rush and wanting to go cheaper, keep your eyes open for a used 6x42.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by WITUfan
I often see posts on here that indicate Leupold scopes are overrated or that more can be had for the money. I'm not trying to start any arguments, I am honestly seeking information. I need to buy a scope this summer and was leaning toward a 2-7x VX2. I also hope to need at least one more 3-9x type scope in the next year or so. With that, I want to get the most that I can for my money.

Brief history and impressions: 20 years or so ago, I put a 2-7x vari-xii (I think that is the right model name) on my primary hunting rifle. While we all have different make and caliber rifles, my 2 long-time hunting partners run similar aged Leupolds on their primary rifles to this day. Nobody has a had a failure or a missed opportunity because of their scope. I like rifles though, and as time has gone by, I have accumulated several more scopes, because of my initial success with one, several are Leupolds. I have a vxii 3-9x, a vx2 3-9x (newest), a vx3 2.5-8x and even a Redfield Revolution 3-9x (not on a hunting rifle). I also have experience with the next to last Nikon Monarch, a Nikon Prostaff, some cheaper Bushnell, etc., and about a 10 year old Burris FFii. My old Leupold 2-7x was replaced on my trusty old .30/06 with the VX3. Although the 2-7x isn't as clear as the newer stuff, I plan to use it on another rifle. I find the Revolution about on par with the 2-7x. Serviceable, but not what I am looking for. I think the vxii is a little behind the Burris and definitely behind the VX3. I honestly can't tell any difference between the VX3 and VX2 (my eyes aren't what they used to be, so maybe it is there). My Dad has a Bushnell 4200 and a good buddy has a Conquest (really like it, but don't know how much better it is than a VX3). The above are just my impressions and based on brightness and clarity. When I can, I would like to get all of them together in poor light and look through them successively.

Sorry for the long-winded background, but I thought knowing what I have looked through might help here. Also, of note, I had one QC issue with a Leupold. The VX3 had a blurry spot when I got it. I returned it and it was fixed.

Needs and expectations: I hunt in varied terrain. Shots are often close in the woods, but may stretch out to 250. I like to be able to stretch that another hundred or so for antelope or as needed. I don't shoot long range, although it looks like fun when at paper or a gong. I have no interest in doing that hunting. I do need some light gathering ability for cloudy days, in the woods, at dawn and dusk. I have always been able to get that out of what I have. I want a scope that is dependable and tough. I want a good warranty - I believe if I pay more than $100 for something it should last a while. I need (finances) to stay in the $250-$500 range on my next few scopes so please don't tell me a $2k scope is better. I am sure it is and I wish I had a dozen of them. Maybe I'll start on that when I don't have to worry about raising my family.

I'm in the same boat right now, I've been leaning toward either a Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 or an FX-3 6x42....I may need to go less than that which would leave me between a VX-2 and a Weaver Grand Slam....if I was looking at a 2-7 on a tight budget I'd probably pick up a Vortex Viper from Doug(I haven't drank the Vortex Kool-Aid by any means but it seems to be an excellent buy for $200) since you didn't care for the Redfield.

Best of luck, I know at the rate my budget has been shrinking I might end up choosing between a Weaver K-6(still liking the 6x idea) and a 3-9x40 Redfield Revolution(man I'm TRYING to stay with American built products)...Hope this helps.

Last edited by CowboyTim; 02/24/13.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Trying to determine just who has the best bang for the buck is a daunting task when it comes to rifle scopes. There are lots of opinions but, when you look and listen closely, you find there is not much in solid, tested, unbiased information.
There is some, however. I've found John Barsness's information, general knowledge and, above all his carefully done testing to be as good as it gets.
The other sources I use are the guys that do alot of hunting. I try to listen carefully as to how they hunt, how they use their scopes and how they work for them.
From all of this, I've made my selections and tried them out. Over the years, I've made a few changes. One was deciding to stop using the Bausch & Lomb, or the Bushnell Elites, and switch to Leupold. I didn't do this because the Leupolds were "better" or more reliable. I did it because I found Leupolds to be more user friendly, and much easier to get service for any problems.
I've used their services and their warranty at times. I've decided, upon occasion to try different reticles, for instance. Or different adjustments. I'm a guy who is tough on scopes. Managed to break a few of reticles on my old scopes from the 70's and the 80's. I'm also pretty fussy at times. Sent one in because it leaked after 6 mins submerged in 140 degree water. Sent another in because it's tested eye relief was too short. Got the first one resealed at no cost, and found out I was wrong on the second.
Some years back, I decided I didn't need to use variables and went to fixed magnification scopes. I must say that they have proven far tougher than I ever thought.
Odviously, I'm happy with my choices. Are they the best deal ? If not, who is ? Nobody I really have alot of faith in has convinced me otherwise. You see, I don't buy something new just to see if it is somehow better. I've watched the new scopes which were the latest and much better than the old standards, like Leupold, come and go. I've decided the old standards, Leupold being one, have survived and do well because they are the real thing. E

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd be looking hard at another VX-2 3-9x40.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I agree that it's difficult to get good objective comparative information on rifle scopes. Most of the discussion and debate involves optics, which at least are "seeable", but to me the real issue is mechanical reliability, which is more elusive.

Leupold has a fine reputation for customer service. I have not owned as many scopes as some others, but over the years most of my Leupolds, plus a new Vari-X III that my son purchased, have had to go back for service. The problem has usually been failure to hold zero or track, and parallax.

Just the other day I was going through some old papers and came across some Leupold repair orders, listing in detail what had been done. Two Vari-X II 2x7s had broken internal parts replaced. If anything, I baby my equipment, so none of my scopes had rough use. Garden variety hunting rifles, no ultra lightweights or chamberings heavier than .30-06.

It's great to be able to count on warranty service, but that was small comfort when I missed deer on two successive days on an out of state hunt due to one of the aforementioned Leupolds not holding zero.

The customer service I favor most is that which is never needed.

YMMV, as the saying goes.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Given your criteria, I'd be looking hard at a Bushnell Elite 3-9 or 3-10. Leupold's QC issues are well documented here and my recent purchases proves these issues are alive and well. Buy one of those Elites and if you don't like it, you can return it for a full refund after using it for up to a year.

Originally Posted by WITUfan

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If your only criteria is clear sharp glass there are some good scopes made by Nikon, Bushnell, Vortex and Burris that will equal or beat Leupold for less money.

But glass quality is not on the top of my list or priorities. When I look at all of the qualities I want in a scope Leupold and Zeiss Conquest are about a tie. Many of the other scopes have clear glass, but suffer from short eye relief or tunnel vision. Most are much longer and heavier than a comparable Leupold, and none have the well earned reputation for ruggedness.

Leupold has also made huge improvements in their scopes just within the last year. I have a $300 2012 production VX-2 3-9X40 that I'd put up against anything costing 2X the price. It is a far better scope than the $400 VX-3 I bought 5 years ago.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMR40
If your only criteria is clear sharp glass there are some good scopes made by Nikon, Bushnell, Vortex and Burris that will equal or beat Leupold for less money.

But glass quality is not on the top of my list or priorities. When I look at all of the qualities I want in a scope Leupold and Zeiss Conquest are about a tie. Many of the other scopes have clear glass, but suffer from short eye relief or tunnel vision. Most are much longer and heavier than a comparable Leupold, and none have the well earned reputation for ruggedness.

Leupold has also made huge improvements in their scopes just within the last year. I have a $300 2012 production VX-2 3-9X40 that I'd put up against anything costing 2X the price. It is a far better scope than the $400 VX-3 I bought 5 years ago.

Glass quality isn't for me either which is why I suggested the Elites.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Paul39
I agree that it's difficult to get good objective comparative information on rifle scopes. Most of the discussion and debate involves optics, which at least are "seeable", but to me the real issue is mechanical reliability, which is more elusive.

Leupold has a fine reputation for customer service. I have not owned as many scopes as some others, but over the years most of my Leupolds, plus a new Vari-X III that my son purchased, have had to go back for service. The problem has usually been failure to hold zero or track, and parallax.

Just the other day I was going through some old papers and came across some Leupold repair orders, listing in detail what had been done. Two Vari-X II 2x7s had broken internal parts replaced. If anything, I baby my equipment, so none of my scopes had rough use. Garden variety hunting rifles, no ultra lightweights or chamberings heavier than .30-06.

It's great to be able to count on warranty service, but that was small comfort when I missed deer on two successive days on an out of state hunt due to one of the aforementioned Leupolds not holding zero.

The customer service I favor most is that which is never needed.

YMMV, as the saying goes.

Paul

Excellent post.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Go with your gut. The new VX-2 is a great value. So is the 3-9 when you are ready for one of those. There are better scopes, but these work well enough, and then some, for your listed applications. The upgrades occur incrementally and the prices increase in leaps. I ended up with a bunch of VX-IIIs a few years ago and they have served me well, but IMO, the new 2 is better.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agree with the other who state that the new VX-2's are exceptional scopes.
The VX-3 line better take a big leap in quality if they are to remain ahead of the new VX-2 in any meaningful way.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Are the new VX2's still a multi-piece tube?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trying to determine just who has the best bang for the buck is a daunting task when it comes to rifle scopes. There are lots of opinions but, when you look and listen closely, you find there is not much in solid, tested, unbiased information.

When I don't want the best I get Tasco World Class 4-16X for hunting and Tasco World Class 6-24X for varmints. These aer absolutely the berst bang for the buck. This statement is based on side by side comparisons with Bushnell 6500, Swarovski z5, Weaver 6-24X42

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My older Leupolds have never failed me.

However, I did send an M8 in for M1's and had to send it back because moving the scope 12 MOA @ 100 gave me about 8 MOA. Mathematically this computed to a huge pain in the [bleep] ass when shooting at distance. They corrected it of course, and it is probably my favorite scope at this point.

I purchased a new MK4 6.5-20X 50mm and it couldn't hold zero and two clicks at the 8 moved my POI about 6 feet. Sent it back, waited 20 days and now it's running fine.

Long story short, I love Leupold and they have served me well. They offer a lot in quality, light weight, and eye relief. But I think they need to tighten up on QC.

GFY,
Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
WITUfan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks for all the input. It sounds like I am on the right track looking at the VX2.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
there are better scopes for the money. i like the optics better on the burris but have and will buy mostly Leupold. best warrenty and customer service, bar none, period.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,429
Posts18,470,760
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.