Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by nosmoke
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Is that more dangerous than a can of Goex?

A flask is designed to come apart under pressure. It wouldn't be a bomb.

MH, the point has already been made, but for the purpose of differentiating smokeless from BP, a can or any container of BP that is ignited will explode with a lot of force. I seriously doubt a person would survive having a pound of BP detonate in close proximity to their torso or head. It has different characteristics than smokeless and storage/shipping regulations reflect that.

I understand the dangers of shipping BP. My point was a flask full of BP shipped is no more dangerous than a can of BP. I never mentioned smokeless.

As for my comment on the flask not blowing? I was just passing on what an old timer told me. Probably not true.

You mean to tell me you are actually admitting to not knowing what your talking about? I mean we all knew that already but this is a big step for you.

Good one!

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I had actually read it a few places before too. Very weak construction with soldered joint. A flask is made to hold the powder. It's not made to hold together during an explosion. The old timer witnessed one blowing, and he said it just came apart without much of an explosion. If it could be called that.

I was responding to someone worried about getting a flask in the mail with powder in it. I said it's no more dangerous than getting a can of Goex which is shipped all the time.

Not good enough for you? Who gives a crap what you think?

I'm not anal like you who has no life except to follow someone around trying to prove them wrong. Lame.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mauser Hunter; Thanks for the info on the flasks. I knew powder cans were designed to be explosion proof, but I thought this black powder in a screw-together (CVA) flask could have caused quite an uproar if it had somehow ignited. I lit the stuff off out in the open and I can tell you that I'm glad I didn't have that happen unexpectedly, as it could have burned someone pretty badly. Part of the problem with what I got in the mail was that the flask was in a box with no padding at all, and it was rattling around, and could have come unscrewed and things could have gone downhill from there, I would think.

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but if I ever buy any used muzzleloader supplies again, I'll instruct the shipper to make darn sure everything is empty.
Again, thank you.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ah, you had a modern version. I was thinking of the old style.

Either way it should have been emptied before shipping. Maybe he thought he was doing you a favor by giving you the powder. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
That could be...I hadn't thought of that.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B2

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by rick59
Originally Posted by nosmoke
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
[quote=Mauser_Hunter]Is that more dangerous than a can of Goex?

A flask is designed to come apart under pressure. It wouldn't be a bomb.

MH, the point has already been made, but for the purpose of differentiating smokeless from BP, a can or any container of BP that is ignited will explode with a lot of force. I seriously doubt a person would survive having a pound of BP detonate in close proximity to their torso or head. It has different characteristics than smokeless and storage/shipping regulations reflect that.

I understand the dangers of shipping BP. My point was a flask full of BP shipped is no more dangerous than a can of BP. I never mentioned smokeless.

As for my comment on the flask not blowing? I was just passing on what an old timer told me. Probably not true.

Good one!

Lol. I don't visit often but I can always count on it every time I do come to see him make a comment about something he really doesn't know anything or much about. I am just glad he has got to the point it seems that he actually acknowledges it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No, I didn't. I simply passed on what some old timer told me. I see no proof he was wrong yet.

I also don't see how a flask full of powder is anymore dangerous than a can of Goex.

Easy to make accusations when you never back it up with anything. Which of course brings me humor too blowsmoke.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

405 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 163bc, 39 invisible), 1,487 guests, and 1,039 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,216
Posts18,524,435
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.