Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I have been on a hell of a 22lr kick since Christmas. I bought a Takedown 10/22 and a second 10/22 (Which I immediately tuned into a full Kidd custom and it still amazes at how well it shoots), I then bought a Smith M&P 15-22 FDE MOE version that is an absolute ball for the kids (me included). The last 22 I wanted was a real nice classic 22 bolt gun. I tried a 95% condition Remington 541s mfg'd in 1972. It shot phenomenally, but just didnt have the high class finish and lines I really wanted. So I sold it and decided it would have to be an Anschutz 54 Sporter, a real nice Kimber model 82 or a Cooper. Didnt really want to mess with Cooper that much and couldnt find an Annie that I really liked and then I ran across a stunning (to me) Kimber model 82 on which I was able to work a trade that suited both myself and the seller.

I think I got pretty lucky because what I ended up with is not only a step above the already nice standard model 82 but is also a pretty rare model. It was only made for 1 or 2 years right at the end of Kimbers run in Oregon. The sticker on the end of the box says "Kimber model 82" and then "Deluxe". The Deluxe model is essentially a Super Grade but typically has grade AA Claro walnut instead of the grade AAA of the SG's. The regular model 82's have A grade walnut, which is still usually really nice.

My Deluxe has the Neidner Steel butt plate which is inletted into the stock and just adds a real touch of class with the detail work required to fit them. It also has inletted machined sling posts, Ebony front cap, and some other SG features. Also, from what I am told the "B" actioned rifles like mine is, were the most desirable of the 3 actions Kimber used on the model 82. In addition to other features, I am told the B action uses a 1 piece bolt as opposed to the multiple piece bolt on the others. I am still learning about it, and I find it all very interesting.

I had been waiting on my scope(Leupold VX2 4-12x40 AO) to show up from Liberty Optics and it came today and I got it mounted. Other than a little hassle with the original rings like Kimber offered(Warne vertically split, with thumb posts for QD removal), it went without much drama. And I am planning to take it to the range tomorrow and run some Eley Tenex red box, Lapua midas, various SK rounds and about 5 other higher and ammo's through it to see what it likes.

I took a few photos a minute ago to show off my new rifle. Easily the "prettiest" rifle I own. I wanted something that was nice enough to be an heirloom, and I am quite satisfied. Here are the photo's
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/jmt1271/girlsatrange2013021_zps3f2f72d3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/jmt1271/girlsatrange2013017_zpsaced8e55.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/jmt1271/girlsatrange2013015_zps2fc7166a.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/jmt1271/girlsatrange2013013_zpsfcabe532.jpg[/img]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
sweet

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Thanks. Hoping it will shoot as good as it looks.

Going to run some quality ammo through it tomorrow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is beautiful!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Kimber 82 in 22 Hornet that is a twin to your new 22LR. Nice catch.

NRA Patron
IC B2

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by dale06
I have a Kimber 82 in 22 Hornet that is a twin to your new 22LR. Nice catch.

Got any pictures?

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
It was freezing, but the wind was pretty still. I just got back from the range. Put a total of 85 rounds through the Kimber. Mostly Eley Tenex Red Box, followed by Wolf EM and a little FGMM.

My Kidd seems to like the Wolf and FGMM, whereas the Kimber definitely loved the Wolf and the Eley Tenex. Wasnt a real thorough test, but as cold and messy as it was, I could only stand a couple hours. Here are the results.

Once again I am learning more about 22lr every range session. The old "myth" (to this novice 22lr shooter anyway) about 22lr needing 10-15 rounds each time you change ammo, to "settle down" certainly seems like less and less a myth every time I shoot. Every time I changed ammo, the first 5 shot group would be less than perfect, and then the next 5 were a little better and by the third 5 shot group it would be settled in.

The best group I got is weird. Looking on paper, I'd swear it is only 2 .22 holes. But I KNOW, WITHOUT A DOUBT, that I fired 5 rounds. After the first 2 shots, it appeared to be one hole. After 3, 4 and 5, it appeared to be 2 holes. I stopped shooting and had to go look up close. Plain as day, to me it appears to be 2 holes touching. But this was toward the end of my shooting, and the only way it is not 5 holes, is if 3 of the middle shots missed the target, went clean off the 4'x4" sheet of white paper, and then jumped right back into dead on for the next 5 groups and then I was done. So, I have no idea, but I know I shot all 5 at the same black dot. That group measured .282" center to center. It was fired with the Eley Tenex, which also produced several 5 shot groups at .5" and slightly under.

The other ammo that shot well was the Wolf. It produced consistent .5" groups with a best of .424" center center.

Overall, I am pretty happy with it. And hope to try a bunch more different ammo's, including some SK which the previous owner said it really likes. I have about 3 varieties of SK but didnt get to it today. Will report beck after next range time. Maybe Wednesday. Will snap a couple pictures of the groups this evening.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Love to see the pictures.It sounds like you got a good one.Of the reports about Kimbers I've heard,it seems you either get a really good one or a really bad one.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You have yourself a very fine rifle there friend. When Kimber first announced those .22's I waited for months hoping they would actually appear. About a year later, if I remember correctly, I bought a Cooper, still waiting for Kimber. As nice as my Coopers are, your Kimber looks to be every bit the rifle mine are.

H
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Love to see the pictures.It sounds like you got a good one.Of the reports about Kimbers I've heard,it seems you either get a really good one or a really bad one.

Maybe you are thinking of the 84's, the 2's seem to be consistently excellent from everything I've read.

IC B3

35 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice.
Good luck with it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That's a beauty!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That IS a beaut. Just eye candy, like my dad's Miroku Browning 52.
Anyone have one of the 82s? I saw a page from CMP in the NRA magazine this week and wondering if I should. Thought about it many times.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a bunch of Kimber 82 sporters; I collect them, plus 2 82G's which are the target model. I can tell you with absolute certainty that every one of the sporters will shoot better than the target guns. Your mileage may vary, however..........

To ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.
NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damn nice!

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Good God that thing is UGLY!

Send it to me here in Az, Ill turn it into firewood

laugh

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Any Kimber 82 sporter is a good find nowadays much less a special run. I'd say you did damn fine on that find. Beautiful
rifle.
On a seperate note I hope you can find ammo to feed all of your new toys. There hasn't been a single box of Rimfire available in my entire county since the whole Sandy Hook mess. While I've got a good stock pile of Wolf and Eley Subsonic HP the Bulk Blazers I bought for my son and I to shoot up are about gone.

WarDamnEagle
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I wish I could find a couple of magazines for a model 82 .22lr. I got a great deal on the rifle but the guy lost the (more then likely sold) the magazines. So I am with rifle and without magazines. I can't believe the prices I have seen being asked for them. One on gunbroker had 1 5 round and 1 10 round all for the low price of $199.00.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sagerat22: I have a Kimber Model 82G and it shoots quite well indeed!
I have had it for going on 4 years now and am quite happy with its accuracy.
I have not taken it to a range and compared it directly on a specific day and conditions with any of my other models of Kimber 22's but I am surprised with your results.
Do you have any theories as to why you obtained your results?
Also I just purchased a Kimber SVT in caliber 17 Mach2 and it came with just one 5 round magazine - I need more magazines than that, of course.
Do you (or does anyone) know if the 17 Mach2 magazines are exactly the same as the Model 82 22 L.R. magazines?
Thanks in advance for any and all info you can provide.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Which flavor of the 82 do you have? The Winchester model 320 magazines will fit the Kimber of Oregon 82s.

Out Back Gun Parts
has had the Win 320 magazines for under $50.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Varmint guy,
If your svt is a New York made one(it'll say Kimber 17 on the side of the receiver)it will use the magazines made for the Kimber of America 22 series, which are totally different from the KoO 82's. It will also use Remington 500 series mags, as well as aftermarket mags for the Remingtons sold by Brownells.
As far as the 82G's, one of them will do just ok, like .5-.7 @50 yards with really good target ammo. The other one won't make 1.0 with anything and I've tried stuff like Federal UM1, Eley Tenex as well as numerous other good brands. This is with a Redfield 3200 20X. I have tried playing with the torque on the action screws and pressure pads under the barrel. It's pretty frustrating because every one of the sporters will do less than .50 (sometimes alot less) and it doesn't have to be with the super high end ammo.

NRA Benefactor Member
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sagerat: Thank you very much for all the info on the Kimber magazines!
I have printed it out and will save it.
And I did not know the Remington magazines you mentioned will also function in the Kimbers.
Thanks again for that.
I was worried the tiny 17 grain bullet of the 17 Mach2 needed a different magazine follower alignment or angle.
Your advice will save me much time and some monies I am sure.
I wish your 82 G's would perk up somehow for you.
Maybe I just got lucky.
You made up for it obviously with your sporter weights shooting so well.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Varmintguy: It's sort of interesting that the Kimber 22 mags (that's the model #) actually are extremely temperamental when feeding .22LR ammo, but the little .17hm2 just goes thru them slick. The pointed bullet and the tapered case just seem to facilitate feeding. I've had to "tune" several mags by tweaking the feed lips and the follower angle in order for them to reliably feed .22LR into my Classic K22.

NRA Benefactor Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 257wthbylover, 52 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.