Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
...I own several glocks and several 1911's both of which have occasional malfunctions. I carry a J frame S&W which has yet to have a malfunction.

Just don't drop it on anything hard. I submit that if you've never had a revolver malfunction, you haven't done enough shooting living with a revolver....

Cripes. I guess if everybody can't get ammo to shoot, we're gonna be besieged with the "my chosen handgun is the best and yours sucks" threads. Y'all can't think of something better (and less ridiculous) to talk about?

Last edited by FreeMe; 03/04/13.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FreeMe
...I own several glocks and several 1911's both of which have occasional malfunctions. I carry a J frame S&W which has yet to have a malfunction.

Just don't drop it on anything hard. I submit that if you've never had a revolver malfunction, you haven't done enough shooting living with a revolver....

Cripes. I guess if everybody can't get ammo to shoot, we're gonna be besieged with the "my chosen handgun is the best and yours sucks" threads. Y'all can't think of something better (and less ridiculous) to talk about?

I went out shooting on Sunday and ran about 400 rounds through various S&W. I even trained two people who had never shot before, and was happy to let them shoot my guns and ammo. Went so far as to schedule another shoot with them, so the wife could try out a sack full of wheelguns to see what she liked/fit her hand.

Its a shame people cannot articulate their point of view, be it for handguns or politics or table-fare. I prefer wheelguns, and was hoping for a discussion. Save for a few invigorating posts, I have been disappointed.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if the .38 in a J frame is your personal choice as "best" for you, based on your size, skill level with said weapon and personal comfort, I can be happy for you

it seems other mileage does vary as to what is "best" for them.

I'd be one of them. No harm, no foul, we only have to make ourselves happy with our choices.

good shooting to you and may none of us ever have to use our defensive weapons for their ultimate intended use.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
for autos i certainly respect the reliability of the glocks but wheel guns are first choice for c.c. & nitestand grabbers. sooner or later all autos will get a stoppage even if only from bad ammo or failure to fully lockup. the wheelgun can quickly be cycled again to move on. my current fav is an older colt detective, which is accurate enough to smack beer cans off bags at 40 yds. i am talking about encounters happening to the individual or family not war zones.---cranky72

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
George in SD, I disagree with nearly everything you have said. So much so, in fact, that it is pointless to discuss.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Often people think about grabbing the barrel and either pulling, or pushing backward. But the technique is to reach toward the frame, just in front of the trigger guard, and rotate to either side. If you rotate inward, the gun will come out of the shooter's hand very easy, and will be pointed directly at the shooter. Then you just slip your hand on the grip and finish the deal. The other way is to rotate outward, you can easily break the shooters trigger finger if it's in the trigger guard, and then when you pull back to wrest the gun away, if the trigger guard is metal and has somewhat sharp edges, you can just about de-glove the finger in the process...ouch.

That is an interesting method. I might have to grab a friend and give it a try (Unloaded of course).

As far as carrying a 1911 IWB, it only works for me if I am wearing a winter coat. I have too small a frame and it prints. Even with baggy shirts, patterned shirts etc.

An airweight with +p is not an ideal training tool for the un-enlightened. It can be quite the handful. I find the steel J frames a better compromise, as the additional weight doesn't interfere with carrying.

I find a full size 1911 easy to carry and I certainly prefer one to a J-frame as my primary carry weapon.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by deflave

You have a LOT to learn. And I mean oodles.

You've damn near confirmed yourself as a troll as far as I'm concerned.

Travis

It's alright to be ignorant. It's not alright to stay ignorant.

I own several glocks and several 1911's both of which have occasional malfunctions. I carry a J frame S&W which has yet to have a malfunction.

If they malfunction then they need to be corrected by a competent "smith". I hate to break this to you but revolvers malefaction also and I have had them do so. They needed the attention of a competent "smith" to correct timing issues.

I have 1911's that NEVER EVER malfunction

Last edited by jwp475; 03/05/13.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I own several glocks and several 1911's both of which have occasional malfunctions. I carry a J frame S&W which has yet to have a malfunction.

I'll teach you two new things this morning because I'm in a good mood.

1.) Your autos needs to be looked at by a smith.

2.) Revolvers are not infallible. Anybody that says they are, hasn't spent enough time with them.

You're welcome,
Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've got 2 J-frames,my wife has one for car carry and the other only gets carried during cold weather in a coat pocket. For warm weather carry, it's a LCP with CT laser in a pocket holster. I have no problem concealing a 1911 or XD 45 Compact in a IWB holster, and carry one or the other quite often. I just have to leave my shirt untucked.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A lightweight J frame is it for me, considering 99.9% of my carry is around the property etc.

I might go a week (or more) before I ever have a belt on. I'm out in the morning with the dogs, jammy pants, rubber boots and a J frame in the elastic waistband. A 1911 would bring my moose laden jammy pants to the ground. If I'm going to lug around a 1911 it's gonna have to be in my hand; which is a better place for a rifle.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gentlemen, I once violated the cardinal rule. (There were reasons) of taking a shotgun if you expect trouble. Instead I took two Browning HPs, as well as my issue SW28. When the poop started, neither HP worked, even for a single shot. The hammers dropped, there was no boom. Because of either luck or perhaps The Boss Man above was on my side, the 28 was there for the rescue.

Revolver failures. One: I had a Python, in the 60s, that had a mainspring give up on me. Fortunately it was in training for competition.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jt402
Gentlemen, I once violated the cardinal rule. (There were reasons) of taking a shotgun if you expect trouble. Instead I took two Browning HPs, as well as my issue SW28. When the poop started, neither HP worked, even for a single shot. The hammers dropped, there was no boom. Because of either luck or perhaps The Boss Man above was on my side, the 28 was there for the rescue.

Revolver failures. One: I had a Python, in the 60s, that had a mainspring give up on me. Fortunately it was in training for competition.

So you had not one, but TWO Hi Powers where the hammers dropped but the gun didn�t go off? Did anyone ever determine what was wrong? That just doesn�t sound right.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep coming back to this word �best��best for what, best for whom, best when, best how? �Best� is just a highly subjective term.

I see on this thread those who think anything but a revolver is a second rate choice. I see one guy who said that a 1911 is a �range gun� only. I see others who say that a 1911 is easier to conceal than a J frame S&W.

Personally, I don�t agree with any of those; but if it works for those who made the statements, I say more power to them.

A handgun for personal defense is a very personal choice. But I take issue with someone who tells me that my choice that seems to be working just fine for me is somehow inadequate. What they�re really saying is, if you choose something other than what I have chosen, then you have chosen poorly. People are different and see things differently�to me, that�s the spice of life.

I see no reason to deride anyone�s choice for self defense unless they have made some sort of dangerous choice, and you are putting their interest above your own as you try to correct them.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..just wondering if anyone here has been in a gunfight with a snubbie...or even just a .38 Special of any size.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jt402

So you had not one, but TWO Hi Powers where the hammers dropped but the gun didn�t go off? Did anyone ever determine what was wrong? That just doesn�t sound right.

Maybe he should have loaded them. LOL

I like to make sure that my weapons will function properly before I actually need them. That include revolvers as well as semi auto

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I keep coming back to this word “best”…best for what, best for whom, best when, best how? “Best” is just a highly subjective term.

I see on this thread those who think anything but a revolver is a second rate choice. I see one guy who said that a 1911 is a “range gun” only. I see others who say that a 1911 is easier to conceal than a J frame S&W.

Personally, I don’t agree with any of those; but if it works for those who made the statements, I say more power to them.

A handgun for personal defense is a very personal choice. But I take issue with someone who tells me that my choice that seems to be working just fine for me is somehow inadequate. What they’re really saying is, if you choose something other than what I have chosen, then you have chosen poorly. People are different and see things differently…to me, that’s the spice of life.

I see no reason to deride anyone’s choice for self defense unless they have made some sort of dangerous choice, and you are putting their interest above your own as you try to correct them.

DITTOS! DITTOS! And double DITTOS!

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave

I'll teach you two new things this morning because I'm in a good mood.

1.) Your autos needs to be looked at by a smith.

2.) Revolvers are not infallible. Anybody that says they are, hasn't spent enough time with them.

You're welcome,
Travis

I agree 100%

George

I am probably on the young side of this argument (32), but I love and enjoy guns of various types. Mostly handguns. I am a HUGE wheelgun fan and have a decent collection (my fav is my pristine Nickel Smith model 58 in .41 Mag)

I think revolvers are simply a work of art, I for one love smiths and Colts from the 50s, 60s, and 70s

I see your point, and its a valid point, but I feel that you maybe a little too "set in your ways" on your opinion, which is all any of us have here, our opinions. Revolvers are no doubt dependable, and are much easier to operate in novice hands, but are limited in many ways, often weight, size, caliber to size ratio, ect.

As brought up in another thread, most LE carried revolvers the majority of the last century, that is true, there is also a reason that none carry them today. Technology is simply better, guns are smaller, semi's are more reliable, guns and ammo are simply better. I know that most poly guns don't have the look or beauty of old wheel guns, but they can and will get the job done.

I carry a Springfield XDs and through my testing, it can and will do what I need it to. It is easily concealed and it carries the .45acp which I prefer WAY more than a standard .38 special

We all have differences of opinions brother, but I have to disagree that in 2013, the sweet old snubbie just isn't the CCW king anymore

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just figure that if I'm going to take your life, the last thing that I want you to see will be souless and fugly...

I have no intention to dazzle you with pretty...

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
While technically not a snub, my 4" Colt Trooper is a lot of firepower in the pocket, 125 gr Barnes X's at 1450 fps have a definite attitude problem grin.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boococky
�my fav is my pristine Nickel Smith model 58 in .41 Mag.
Oh man I�ve wanted one of those for a good 20 years now. One of these days.

Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,798
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.