Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just throwing this out there as I know people are searching for one from time to time. I had been looking for one for some time and came across http://greatscottshooters.com/trigger.htm Anyway, he recently got some in stock (don't know how many), but I thought his prices were excellent. Add great customer service with fast shipping, I thought it was a win-win.

Hope this helps someone in their search.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have bought all my Jewell triggers from Larry - his prices & customer service can't be beat for Jewell triggers!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 03/05/13.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
+1 for larry. just got one of the new supply triggers. He let me reserve one and I had it in my hand 2 days after they showed up in his shop.

Aim Small, Miss Small
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are Jewell triggers reliable in the field? I read some articles which seemed to favor Timney triggers, but would like to hear from real world users.

Good link above. Thanks!

Eric

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EricM
Are Jewell triggers reliable in the field? I read some articles which seemed to favor Timney triggers, but would like to hear from real world users.

Good link above. Thanks!

Eric

I have never had issues with my Jewell triggers in the field. slg888 from on here has used them on some cold-azz whitetail hunts and never had issues either - check out the big bucks he has killed!!

I was told by one of the main guys at Surgeon Rifles that Jewell triggers will run with the best of them if they are kept clean and free of oil/lubricants. Clean twice a year with Zippo lighter fluid and you're good to go!!

He explained that guys that have rifles that are safe-queens and not shot much are the ones that usually have trouble - they oil up their barrels for storage & then that oil eventually runs down into the trigger mechanisms over time & gums the schit outta them.

Surgeon uses and recommends them for all of their rifles, as does several other big name rifle smiths.....Gradous, McWhorter, and Borden to name a few.

Last edited by 300MAG; 03/05/13.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
300MAG, great input!

I have a NULA on order with a Timney and am wondering whether a Jewell might be a better choice.

Eric

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Easy, I have had one on my main hunting rifle for about 20 years. Have hunted in all sorts of different scenarios from 20* to 90* w/no trouble. When set at 1.5lbs it has no peer. I have a pistol trigger shoe on mine as I have fat fingers and it gives me a little better feel. powdr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Good link above. Thanks!

Eric
Depends on what you mean by "in the field." I've used Jewell triggers in the past, and when you want a trigger in ounces it is great. In the field I'm normally around 1.5-2.5 pounds and for that Timney is as good and less inclined towards issues "in the field" that I hunt. Jewell is great for target/BR/dedicated varmints, but for a big game rifle not so much in my experience.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input 300MAG. I used a jewell for the first time this last fall here in UT. Never got super cold, but there was plenty of dust and a little of mud. On the 7th day in the field it worked flawless.

EricM, I was going to try a timney for my next build as well as I would like to try one. Figured I would use whichever I came across first, which happened to be the jewell.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
406, this would be for big game. All round use out west. Not a varmint rifle, and I would probably stick between 2-3 lb trigger pull.

Gledeasy, I hear good things about both so it may just come down to "feel" and personal preference. I haven't tried either yet.

Eric

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by powdr
Easy, I have had one on my main hunting rifle for about 20 years. Have hunted in all sorts of different scenarios from 20* to 90* w/no trouble. When set at 1.5lbs it has no peer. I have a pistol trigger shoe on mine as I have fat fingers and it gives me a little better feel. powdr

Pretty much experience as well. I've had one on my main rifle (Mashburn) for over 2 decades and it's been flawless! From 40 below to 100 above it perks and works.
And mines set @ 1.5 lbs as well.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Good link above. Thanks!

Eric

I have and use both.

IMHO, the Jewell is better with very light settings. But for hunting, I generally don't like much less than 2#'s, so the difference isn't that big a deal on most guns.

I agree with the posts pointing out that clean is good. I've never had a problem with a Jewell, but do keep my guns clean and well maintained.

I like a light pull with a light weight rifle. I have a M-7 with a Lone Wolf stock that pushes 6#'s with a vintage 4X Zeiss in Talley LW rings. That gun wears a Jewell, set pretty light, which comes in handy shooting offhand. A Timney would probably be OK, I just trust the Jewell with a light setting.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love Jewell triggers south of 2#. I don't love Jewell triggers much north of 2#. Some pretty good innerweb fights have been had about how creepy Jewells are or are not around 3#s. I'm one of the guys that doesn't like the feel of a 3# Jewell. There are just as many who have no problems with them at those weights.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it depends on the factory trigger. I have a factory remington trigger that is tuned just as well and feels just as good as my jewel. both triggers are set to 28 oz. if I could get my factory triggers to come out that good everytime I wouldn't buy a jewel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I think it depends on the factory trigger. I have a factory remington trigger that is tuned just as well and feels just as good as my jewel. both triggers are set to 28 oz. if I could get my factory triggers to come out that good everytime I wouldn't buy a jewel.
A good trigger is a good trigger regardless who's name is on it. That is why I'd never spend double on a Jewell for a 2+ pound pull; Timney is every bit as good in that instance. I agree that a tuned factory trigger can be a good trigger as well. In fact there are several very good options when targeting a 2+ pound pull........

I've nothing against Jewell, but for the kind of work the OP is considering it is no advantage.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have several vintage '60's and '70's M-700 triggers that I've tweaked to w/i what any Timney can do. The newer Remington's probably need aftermarket triggers.

IMHO,

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have both brands. I cant say weather one or the other is better . I will tell you how mine get used and you can make up your mind from there. To preface this neither have given me any issues . The Jewell is on a custom 7-08 , it my main go to rifle. I take it to Saskatchewan every year . Its usually -5 to -30 . I never bring the gun inside for the duration of the hunt. It has never frozen up or given me any issues and has worked properly under all conditions. I have a Timney on a custom 300 "my Alaska gun" you have heard about the weather there , tent camp has worked without issue as well . Both are set at 2 lbs and both feel just as good as the other , as a good trigger should. you will not be dissatisfied with either one.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MShuntfish
I love Jewell triggers south of 2#. I don't love Jewell triggers much north of 2#. .

My experience as well

North of 2 = more creep

Mine is at 1.5

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have 3, one still NIB.

Both in use are about 6-8 ounces, whatever felt right the day I set 'em. One is on a very light .204, the other on a VSSF-like 6mm Rem AI.

I don't baby them. They're 'equipment'. They get used, then they get cleaned and put away. "Wash, rinse, repeat." smile

I haven't used anything but Jewell and tuned factory triggers since I figured out that Neil Jones can tune the factory trigger better than a Timney can be tuned.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I will admit they are somewhat of a luxury and are not really needed for a hunting rifle,but if you want one of the best feeling triggers a jewell is in a league of there own, and I have tuned factory,and Rifle Basix and none are close to a Jewell!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (160user, 222Sako, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 14,010 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,138
Posts18,542,444
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.