Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I prefer short, that's why I like unscoped .44s.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Favorite haunt is a perhaps 2 mile long u shaped ridge that has been patchwork clearcut. Skid-trails form a classic maze pattern. Edge cover is almost everywhere. Many guts that for the most part give protection from the wind on bad days. Deer love the place and most hunters don't because the topo lines get close once you get past the top third.

Almost anything can greet you on a given day. You can catch one bedded or bounce one, or a bunch out of the same, come up on them casually feeding without a concern. Hear a Buck grunting on a Doe. Come around a bend and have a ringside seat too a joust. What's that big black blob up ahead? Bear!!!! Hey checkout those bowling ball Cubs!!!!

Deer, Grouse, Turkey, Bear and Squirrels and for the most part they all will be close. I kinda like the place.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bustin hogs, yotes, rocks, etc at long range is a blast. I got within 12 yards of a 190" bedded muley a few years ago and didn't get him killed. That was even better.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The LR groups get most of the glory, but I'm thinking us shorties have more fun.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not my favorite way to hunt any more, but a well organized Deer drive when they are home can be a hoot for doing things up close.

However, I still like a little two man push. You get screwed more often than not, but sometimes it all comes together and it will usually be fairly close. Fun times with a knowing partner.

Addition: I just know one of you clowns will read something else into that. So get it out. grin

Last edited by battue; 03/07/13.

IC B2

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Repertoire......

Aahhh....exactly! wink

When SOP is not working, wade in after them. cool

I am mostly interested in how folks feel about it.Some of my most "fun" hunts were when I encountered a hog buck(or anything else)at spitting distance,whether I killed it or not..

I was sitting in blowdown with my 10 year old son, up in Pittsburg, NH,rattling horns.Where he came from I have no idea,but I turned my head to the right,and there was a very big bull moose, staring down his nose at us at about 5 yards.I whispered in my son's ear.."turn right and look up.."He did,with no reaction.He was not looking "high enough".

I grabbed his head and tilted it higher...the moose came into focus,and I could see his eyes open wide with astonishment at the site of this beast almost in is lap..he has never forgotten it.

How I missed this huge animal approaching in that heavy cover,is a mystery...I must have been too busy rattling. blush

Last edited by BobinNH; 03/07/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I enjoy "long range" hunting on right of ways, etc. that said, I've done almost all of my deer killin inside of 200 yds. I know exactly where I'm going to hit within that range. I am always a little surprised at the hunters I see who are willing to take pot shots without being certain of the results. long range hunting takes practice and, more particularly, practice with the right equipment.

bowhunting whitetails is good stuff, but I found to be successful you usually need to be 20-30' up in a tree (or these days you can buy a ground blind that will suppress your scent to some extent). also, it is hot as hades down here in the south during archery season. long story short, I end up deer hunting the same way every year. wait til' rifle season, carry a .250, .243, or .308, shoot deer inside 200 yds.

it works, at least. I kill at least one a year and I've not lost one (knock on wood)

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like BOTH.

Yes there is more to, gettin close, not letting them smell or hear you. The element of 'surprise' is a reward all of its own.

I had a blast this past season, on the ground and most shots were up close & personal. (5)

OTOH - I also enjoy reaching out there and touchin one. Now for where I've been hunting 400 yds is about as far as I've had the opportunity. 1 at 389, 1 at 399 (by rangefinder) and plenty between 200-300. It takes more practice and having the right equipment to reach out. Some can't hit a deer past close range.

Put be down for BOTH.

Last edited by jwall; 03/07/13.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm seriously considering picking up a crossbow sometime soon to get in on the early season bowhunting, even though it is often hot throughout a Louisiana October. I'm a rifle nut, but it is fun when they come in close to spitting distance, even if you are in a groundblind or short-legged box blind. Scent control is often important for ass-sitters too! Lol....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i would say depends on the person.....i like hunting at shorter range cause i love watching animals up close.....some guys though are far more interested in the technical part of long range hunting and get the most enjoyment out of a hunt that way.....neither is "wrong" just depends on what you like....

Last edited by rattler; 03/07/13.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Both ends of the spectrum....spot and stalk black bear taken at 20 yards. Nice 16" antelope taken with a long shot with my .338 Lapua. I like all of it.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good post, Bob. I thought about starting a post on short shots the other day.

I shoot long range too - you need to be able to do so in NM - but short range is much more exciting to me.

In 2012 I killed my mule deer at 22 long paces while still hunting:
[Linked Image]

and a hog at maybe 12 steps, also killed while still hunting:
[Linked Image]

Before walking up on that buck, I walked up within 30 steps of an unaware coyote. That in itself was a lot of fun and very satisfying.

So far this year I've only killed one hog at 152 yards. Mabye I'm slipping...grins.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

[Linked Image]
Nice 16" antelope taken with a long shot with my .338 Lapua.

Congrats Pat:

Super nice antelope.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well done as usual, Pat!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ingwe
I dont mind gettin powderburns on them. At all.

Yep! The stalk and up close shot, where the animals senses are most keen, are most certainly where it's at.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Shorter range hunting is more fun imo. But one should always be prepared for the longer shots too. It is a take whatever one can get (yardage within the individual hunter`s comfort zone for success) proposition.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love both, but would rather kill a doe at 1000 yards with a rifle than a 3 year old 8 point at 10 yards with a bow. I am just basically a meat hunter though.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH

How I missed this huge animal approaching in that heavy cover,is a mystery...I must have been too busy rattling. blush

Yep, even Jim Shockey said of himself, "How can you miss a moose?" after missing a moose at close range w/a mzldr. I give him credit for 'integrity'. He let it be televised!!

Even the best of us miss. grin once in a while.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
That's why bowhunting is fun.

Big +1. And in CO, bowhunting is the only way you'll get a month-long season, during the elk rut. I haven't bow-hunted a lot, but spending a lot of time in close proximity and not getting a shot can be very motivating and will keep you going day-in, day-out. It's also when you tend to learn a lot about the animals. Lots of times when bowhunting, if I'd had a gun in my hand, the hunt would have been over before any of the good stuff happened.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like it all, like scenar. But I love getting close.

I have shot critters from three to 450yards. Not long range by todays standards. And I do not have a real big desire to push the distance.

But I would like to come up to IB3 and play, but it it is during turkey hunting season, so I will be out hunting.

Arcus Venator
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (257wthbylover, 219DW, 270cowboy, 22250rem, 3040Krag, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 1,773 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,133
Posts18,523,175
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.