Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Throw a fresh lithium battery in your Geovid a day or two before you leave.

2nd skin type burn coverage pads are really good over blisters, these or similar:

[Linked Image]

A few zip ties always come in handy. Don't see a headlamp/flashlight on your list. I'd also want my own compass.

Last edited by horse1; 03/14/13.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A trekking pole or two would be handy.
Insulation layer for your legs if you don't have it.

I've never seen an umbrella in the mountains. I'm thinking a light weight tarp would serve the same purpose and be a lot more versatile. It wouldn't work for the Mary Poppins routine though. Or just trust your rain gear.

The next step is going through the pile and looking for things you can leave at home.

If your guide is bringing a spotter, I'd ditch that weight, but it is your call. What's that rifle weigh?

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I may ditch the spotter. It's six pounds that I probably won't need since the guide will have one. I have not decided yet. The rifle weighs 8 pounds 10 ounces.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Where is your overall pack weight at, with everything (food, rifle, etc).

Two spotters can be nice. Just don't know if its 6lbs nice.

My pack was at 70lbs last time I did a 3-day weekend hunt. That was stupid, and made it a lot less fun. The lighter your pack, the less you are going to slow your guide down. Not trying to be mean, but it is tough to keep up with a guy that lives in the mountains, and you can bet that his gear will be shaken out to just the stuff he needs.

On the upside, that isn't the heaviest rifle I've heard of someone packing up a mountain.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
..or the lightest...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by cwh2
A trekking pole or two would be handy.
Insulation layer for your legs if you don't have it.

I've never seen an umbrella in the mountains. I'm thinking a light weight tarp would serve the same purpose and be a lot more versatile.

CWH2,

I used to always carry one of the reversible space tarps (green in one side, silver on the other) between my freighter frame and moose bag. Light and useful. Buddy pulled out that umbrella on a sheep hunt in the Delta Control Area, about 20 miles from the nearest road. I laughed too, but not for long. smile

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I realize it's not all that much weight or bulk, but I doubt I'd take the woobie. With your sleeping bag and insulated clothing I can't see needing it. I'd probably also limit myself to one insulating layer. Taking both the spindrift and superdown seems a bit redundant. Though I second the recommendation for something to help with blisters, I prefer duct tape. IME it works better than anything else I've tried and I've had some pretty serious blisters. wink However, once you put it on a blister don't take it off until the hunts over. I also don't go anywhere I'm not very familiar with, without taking a GPS. FWIW.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd choose a different bullet for the bear. Not inclined to trust my life to a bullet advertised as a long range bullet that penetrates a couple of inches before turning to shrapnel.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 2,100 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,090
Posts18,501,882
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.