Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7495868 02/28/13
tack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am very close to purchasing a new Ruger single shot. I pre fer the heavier model e.g. the Ruger #1B or Ruger #1 Varmint.
What are the differences between the two. I shoot mostly paper and coyotes and usually two deer per year. Is one inheirently more accurate than the other? Used ones in really good shape are priced nearly as high as new ones so I'll probably Shop for a new one at Bud's.

appreciate any insight you may be able to provide.

Tack

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Others will probably chime in with more, but the most noticeable ones are:

Barrel: 1V uses a 24" heavy barrel, 1B uses a 26" of "medium" profile.

Scope Mounting: 1B uses a quarter rib without a rear sight, 1V uses two blocks. They come from the factory for Ruger rings, but replacements can be had for Weaver rings.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Not surprisingly, Bud's shows to be "out of stock" on their entire Ruger No.1 line. Surprisingly, they still show the line up to be last year's models! The 2013 offering of No.1's is not up yet, and as has already been posted here, is quite limited! And, the 1B has not been in the catalog for the last several years.
You did not mention the caliber(s)you might prefer; the 1V has never been made in as many chamberings as the 1B. Most of the more common selections are fairly easily found on the Internet Auction/Classified sites.
I have many of the harder to find No.1's. PM me what you are looking for.

Last edited by El_Numero_Uno; 02/28/13.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
tack,

In your shoes I would try to find a NIB 1B Creedmore or, better yet, a 25-06. The latter have not been made for years but serious collectors are a possible source. There was also a 1V in .25-06.

1B

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
6mm and .243 1B's are fairly easy to find, and will do for yotes and deer. 1V's are indeed not super-common, but can also be found. Gunbroker is one source. Cabelas usually has a good number in stock, too, and you can look up their inventory online.

If the hides aren't important, a plain 'ol .270 in a 1B is a great plains rifle.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd take a 1B over a 1V. The V is just too dang heavy to tote around all day. At least the one my buddy has in .220 is.

tack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks to each of you for helping me out. Your response even provided answers to questions I had not yet thought to ask.
My first choice now is the #1B as it is probably at least as accurate as the varmint, being shorter and possibly as stiff. I also like the lesser weight. My caliber of choice would be; first a 25-06 and second no larger than a 6.5 as I already have a near new Winchester 1885 in 22-250.
I have found a used #1B 25-06 in "said" very good condition and wood. It is out of state for $995 which is a little higher than a new one on a wish list.
Will probably decide by the weekend.

Thanks very much; we are blessed to have such a great resource in "The Fire" which is you.

Tack

R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I'd shoot "El Numero Uno" a PM first, before buying. Might save you some money and disappointment. His advice is free and very informative. He knows No 1s.
Bob

tack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
"El Numero Uno" is working on it now.

Thanks, Tack

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I regret the day I sold my No.1 B 25-06. My only complaint was that it would only shoot 120 grain bullets well. Not a bad thing because it liked them running at max.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B3

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I have always liked the No.1 just never actually gone out and bought one for myself. Are they hard to reload for, I mean as in powder selection and bullet weight?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by gijoetx
I have always liked the No.1 just never actually gone out and bought one for myself. Are they hard to reload for, I mean as in powder selection and bullet weight?

A #1 is no harder to load for than any other rifle... With the possible exception that it does not have the camming power of a bolt. Therefore, it's best to shoot factory ammo 1st, or load only new brass, and then load only brass that was fired in that rifle. Not really a big deal... grin

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have not had problems with range brass full length resised in my #1's. Only have two though.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I was just curious, I have heard from a few of the locals around these parts that single shots can be tough to dial in a load for. Although I do not think that any of them are shooting rugers. The other thing I would not be as comfortable with is the fact that I have one shot for something like coyotes instead of another 3 or 4. I suppose that is something that everybody thinks about when it comes to single shots.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It does cause you to be more careful with that first shot. At least it does me.

But I gotta tell ya, you can reload a No. 1 real fast with just a little practice.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by medicman
I have not had problems with range brass full length resised in my #1's. Only have two though.

I don't recall that I've ever had any problems with range brass, either... But then, I don't usually use it. And when I do, I size it the 1st time in a small base die to minimize that. smile I have, however, had difficulties chambering rounds that were reloaded for another rifle.

The only reason I mentioned it, is that is the best way to keep potential problems to a minimum. wink

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've only had two Number 1s and neither was difficult when it came to brass that was full length resized. As re: dialing in a load, my first one was shooting reasonably well, but nothing to write home about, after minimal load development. This new old one I recently picked up is shooting like a house afire with some '06 hand rolled loads (for a Sako) I had on the shelf.

X
X
Had a 1B in.30-06 25 years ago, killed some deer and loved it. Had to trade it and regret it. Was away from hunting for some years and now moved back into home hunting area. My Rem 700 BDL w/Bishop stock is over 8 lbs - seemed like 20. Sold it and recently bought a 1A in .270, 2010 model "unfired" NIB for $886.
Looking forward to carrying a lighter rifle and the challenge of a single shot.

tack Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think you will really like the 1A in .270. I had a 338 for a short while, was way to much.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The new 6.5-284 1V would be a heck of a paper and yote buster. Maybe a bit much for packing over distances, but would trip my trigger

The .270 is the greatest hunting catridge ever designed. To dispute this fact is to only justify our loonieism in owning and hunting with inferior cartridges.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 60 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.