Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by 805
Rem Sendero 7mm isnt a bad place to start. Whatever he picks I recommend getting him setup with a good crisp trigger and practice practice practice.

+3

A gun club pal has this exact setup, trigger tuneup plus a higher mag Leupy w/ turrets. Its just a wonderfully accurate rig.

NB

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As already mentioned, how far is far?
And how far for what types of shooting/hunting?
How far for deer?
Originally Posted by matt_allen
Since in iowa we cant shoot deer with rifles it would mainly be used for paper punching and shooting coyotes but it would need to be big enough to shoot a deer if needed

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+4 on the sendero in 7rm.
I recently bought a 300rum and it has a break, less recoil that the 7rm.
If I wasn't gonna put break I would defiantly recommend the 7rm. I've owned 3 senderos and they all shoot better than me

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Savage 111 LRH, Browning A Bolt LRH, maybe a Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA. . . All come in well under $1k and should shoot sub MOA.

I'd say go 300 Win, very, very versatile and cheap and common compared to other LR calibers.

"That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For a heavy-chevy- Sendero 7REM MAG. Leupold MK4 ,3.5-10X40 or 4.5-14X40

Lightweight long ranger- CDL SF 7 mm Rem Mag in a McMillan with similarly configured glass.

See the trend in bore diameters ? laugh

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
ronin',

I's gots me a hunch,that I prolly Sendero'd for a spell. Didn't go crazy,but had 'em in 7mmRem,7STW and 300Winny(though of course did all the S/A schit in PSS,VS,VLS,LTR,VSSF and the ilk). All the Sendero-esque handles suck heavy azz and do a nice job of adding felt recoil to the equation and are dog schit choices for chasing trace/impact,for that reason. They ain't no peach offa the hind legs either.

If one HAD to choose a Sendero in .532"...it'd assuredly be the 7mmRem for the Victory. That being said however,it'd be wayyyyyyyyyyy down on the list of suggestions for a prospective newb's first foray,into dabblin' LR. Schit handling,schit balance,schit ergo's and added recoil,the warm/fuzzy do not make.

Sure fire recipe,to take all the fun outta the equation and score the gent his first Safe Queen. Folks is quick to forget,that not shootin',ain't helpin' the situation from any angle. It is funny,how fun do bolster round counts by default.(hint)

Beeg stuff that handles like schit and bucks around,do not get shot much...as you can undoubtedly attest.

Hint.

yobuck,

Don't shoot much do ya'?

Feel free to take notes and apply same,if only because if you heed same...it'll help your game.

Hint.

Mojo,

There's MUCH to be said for the system,in which a guy is always formulating reasons to shoot...as opposed to the contrary.

Now,were this the Pre-LRF Days,I've seen me be hip on adding case capacity to hedge a bet,in order to corroborate POA/POI intersections at UKD. If I stated that I've had/have lotsa Boomers,it'd be gross understatement.(grin)

Today,one can bank upon the sanctity of KD,in conjunction with modest recoil and high BC's,along with minimal ES/SD...so by default it's a straight up VooDoo Game. There's no way to get better at fending VooDoo with JuJu,than by watching trace/impact in the real time. I'd liken it akin to the much accelerated learning curve associated with Photography,in the extrapolation of gunning film as opposed to digital. In the end,EVERY shot is a tracer if you wanty it to be and few things interest me more,than concise feedback at the moment...whether it a shutter or a trigger.

Necking the suck outta the 308,ain't a bad start.(grin)

'lea,

Tough for me to swoon the 300Winny Today. Doubly so,when stoked with 180 AccuBombs,as there's nuttin' redeeming in the melding. That's an alignment of modest BC within the bore sizing,at sedate speeds,though it is a poor return in the recoil to performance ratio...if such things are a keen interest. They ain't to me.(hint) Always interesting to watch folks get in a big hurry,to make bad decisions.

Now if the gent in question,had a 300Winny Sendero fall in his lap as a gift and were gonna use it in the applications plainly cited,that'd change the focus a smidge. That's when you say: "fling '22 fueled 155 Scenars..until the tube is smoked,then give the next spout a better thunk". 'Course,that ain't where the situation is and thus the ease in scratching the 300Winny from the list,though it were funny to muse it in the first place,given the criteria.

You boys are really goin' outta your way,to [bleep] the Newb hard.

'hunter2,

I hear good things about the 257Wby and just might could have some familiarity there too. It's an absolute Dog if/when fed Factory Fodder,as it's an expose on Ping Pong Ball BC's,which ain't a very purty peecture.

Cheer up...noone would welcome a 115-ish A-Max or Scenar more than I. The .420BC 100XLC fueled with '22 at 3750fps and a 300yd zero,were my bread and butter in a gaggle of custom 700 based 257Bee's and it is disheartening to state that my supply of Blue Meanies is dwindlin'. As much as I love the chambering and despite all of the Sinister Deeds it done for me,I'd not buy or build one Today...mainly because boolits matter more than headstamps.(hint)

It'd also be wayyyyyyyyy down the list of suggestions for a Newb,given the applications cited. Big Green was a coupla decades late,chambering for the 257Wby and that'll always be a shame.

As per always,in all things Roy chambered,I'll greedily take two-lugs,looonnggggg before 6 or 9.

Hint.

'Bumpo,

Which 700's "don't shoot"?!? The Sendero blueprint is a Goat [bleep].

I'd liken it akin to handing a 10yr old a 44 Desert Iggle as his first pistole. Sure it's a capable chambering,that has long done nice things,but the platform is a heavy compromise...pun be intended.

Folks are quick to forget that the inside of a barrel,is far more important than it's outside and beeg contours in schit handles,the warm/fuzzy do not make.

Groovin' on how noone is sayin' anything about boolits and them that have on "accident",has badly missed all marks.

I just KNEW this one was gonne get good.(grin)

'SHOOTER,

I've zero doubt,that you's the weakest link in the equation.

As an aside it's still "brake",though I've no doubt you was doing the best that you can.

Laffin'!

'archer,

You just took Stupidity to new [bleep] levels.

Congratulations?!!?

archie',

I hear good things about the .284" bore sizing and prolly have some familiarity there.(grin)

Just cain't finger out,why you boys are in sucha [bleep] hurry to beat the Newb up and remove all the fun outta the equation for him?!? The key is to instill good habits(which is only aquired via live fire trigger time),delve into the "why" and the "what" of Boolistics 101(nice BC's at nice speeds...simply do nice things),keep an overview of the cited applications(fun) and then extrapolate a melding from there,to an existing platform that'll do it all...less breakin' the bank.

It's called a 700 based 243Win.

Hint.(grin)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great ripostes, Stick.

Always amuses me when people recommend mags for greenhorns...they hardly have a place for 'pros' nowadays, what with slickery bullets available.

I got a Sendero-ish rig in a 5R and, yes, it's a pig and the H-S handle sucks ergo wise (does shoot well, though). It's a .308 for now and will someday have the 'suck' necked out of it! smile But for now, I got components in hand for it so it's trumping the brace of birdies in the bush...

It's impossible to over-emphasize the correlation between ease/joy of shooting and desired proficiency in said pastime, although you've stated said correlation repeatedly. As you mentioned, wind is always Voodoo and only by trippin triggers will one get better.

My buddy was suckered into buying as his first rifle (for elk) a .300 WBY that he still hasn't put 30 rds through. Guess who will be making the backup shot for him....

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have to agree that practicing with the boomers isn't always a lot of fun. However, I use my .338 Win mag for long range shooting because that is what is in my hands when I'm elk hunting.

However, I look at practice a different way. I practice with my .22's, 223AI, 22-250, 25-284, 30-06, or whatever trips my trigger that day. I've always felt that practice with any rifle will transfer over to the one you are using when the shot really counts. As long as you remember your ballistics or tape them to the stock for reference (for us older guys), anything you can do with a 223, you can do with a .300 win mag for those few shots a year when it counts.
If I had the arsenal that Stick/Boxer has to his credit, my biggest problem would be choosing which one to practice with, but practice I would do as much as possible. But, I would still be carrying my old reliable .338 WM when the shot counts because I just plain have faith in it.

Whatever you have faith in to do the job for you is what you should carry. Practice is necessary but doesn't have to be painful to get the job done.

Stick, I notice a painful lack of pretty wood stocks in your selections. If you want, I could send you a few to remedy that painful situation..... wink

Springer fishing started here this week.....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mojo,

The FIRST Rule of The Jungle,is to procure light done right...then go beeger(longer/heavier/etc) if inclined. The beeger stuff is then immediately relegated to Niche affairs,simply by default and when the dust settles,they simply wither on the vine in comparison. There ain't too many handy/dandy Safe Queens in this World.

I plead guilty to slumming a 23" MTU contoured Mike Rock 5R M852 chambered 308Win,wearing all the good schit,in an A5. With the chips down,I'd much rather be gunning my 1st Gen Ti 7-08...so did.(grin)

For conversation.

[Linked Image]

Guilty of LTR 308's too.

[Linked Image]

My 308 VSSF got better in an A5...but what don't?!!?(grin)

[Linked Image]

An LTR in a M40A1 return handle,do have some Nostalgia.

[Linked Image]

Then there's them [bleep] FN SPR's and I slummed an A1.

[Linked Image]

Long way of sayin',I [bleep] 308's with an open mind.(grin)

As to the 300Bee,I've shot the dog schit outta the cartridge and done things with it,that cain't be did. Still prefer the 300 Super to it,though I've never not hated belts. It takes a full lengthed 30cal H&H Improved,to hang with a 2.5" H&H based .284"...which do frost alotta azzes.(grin)

I'm happy to bat clean-up behind Fire Breathin' Dragons,with a lowly S/A housing a 308 with the suck necked outta it. "Toldjaso's" ain't too hard to deal out and with uncanny accuracy.

Not everyone can see the light.

Bob,

I'm ALL about shooting and heartily endorse trigger time. Few folks is better at finding a "reason" to shoot,than I. I'm a fan of having lotsa clubs in the bag and for mixin' things up...if only to eek appreciations for what do what and more importantly why.

Many things cross over from one chambering to another and making range determinations,doping erectors and dealing JuJu to fend VooDoo is how the game is played. Breaking a good poke and calling the break,is all fundamentals that jive across the case capacity spectrum. Too few realize them simplistic constants and fewer yet,apply same.

Few things is more powerfuler come crunch time,than the warm/fuzzy. Such things is only granted due familiarity and proven track records...which is why I've long been a fan of consistent POA/POI intersections and good boolits. This Kansas weather,grants opportunity to see how various platforms deal with inclement weather and assuredly not all things is the same(nor close). I'm a firm believer in beating on schit,to make it prove itself and if/when something pukes,it's extrapolated to similar wares for future reference. Things quickly sort themselves out.

I'm guilty of purty wood and blue...but it hurts my pride to confess to such blasphemy,so I cain't like to talk about it.(grin)

I reckon I'll be Casting & Blasting,by midweek...long as the weather don't hang the Sky Crummy up.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Boxer

archie',

I hear good things about the .284" bore sizing and prolly have some familiarity there.(grin)

Just cain't finger out,why you boys are in sucha [bleep] hurry to beat the Newb up and remove all the fun outta the equation for him?!? The key is to instill good habits(which is only aquired via live fire trigger time),delve into the "why" and the "what" of Boolistics 101(nice BC's at nice speeds...simply do nice things),keep an overview of the cited applications(fun) and then extrapolate a melding from there,to an existing platform that'll do it all...less breakin' the bank.

It's called a 700 based 243Win.

Hint.(grin)

Touche' old man. I got the Horse in front of the cart there for a minute. Was thinking the OPs buddy already shoots, just not long range. And was horned up to experience a 26" telephone pole hanging off the front of his stock and enough powder behind a .284" pill to keep him going back to the gun shop again and again laugh

Assumptions, they can get a feller in trouble .

On a side note, always wondered why Big Green never fielded a 7-08 VSSF and SPS-V, I figured they'd fly off the shelves, again....assumptions .

Last edited by archie_james_c; 03/10/13.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Remington 700 SPS stainless in 243 Winchester.

Get new handle as money allows. I would prefer a Mickey Mtn Rifle pattern in standard fill with checkering for your endeavor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, still best choice. They can be had new at SW for $500 (and often on sale) with a crappy scope (give the scope to a kid who needs one).

My buddy bought one in .308 and put it in a Mickey Classic, Timney'd it and mounted a Leupy 3.5-10x40 in Talley LW's.

First reloads with 175 SMK and RL15 were running .75-1 MOA. Hitting 10" steel over any kind of rest at 500 yds was boring...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Rem 700 SPS Varmint .243 Win.

I'm gonna go back and start at the start...

Now maybe the offerings are a bit different down in the US, but if you want "best bang for the buck"- this is going to be it. If you want to spend a little more money, then I'd go the SS version of the SPS, but if you coat the SPS-V with some DGS, you'll be okay in the elements. If you have the SS version down there for the same money or close, then no doubt I'd jump on the SS model without looking back. Shoot the barrel til it pukes and re-barrel in SS, regardless. Bullets in .243 are cheap compared to larger diameters, and those Remmy barrels do nice things with some of the better LR bullets like the Horn 105 HPBT and AM.

A factory Remmy .243 barrel from yesterday's adventures. Wind gusting left to right at about 11mph average. Nothing like the high BC of bullets like the A-Max to fend off the effects of a fickle wind...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

On second thought, better stay away from those factory 700 barrels in .243. They don't work. *grin*

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Can't fool me.

Lol

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Boxer,

That orange rifle is ORANGE in a big way! That's the first time I ever almost went blind lookin' at a rifle. Hell, Stevie Wonder could see that joker! smile

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice shooting J!

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Ernie smile

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
archie,

The 7-08 was long maligned by both the Makers and the Masses...though I were lucky enough to take the plunge as a pup and have yet to waiver. I've over a quarter of a Century yerking triggers upon the chambering and have one receiver on it's 5th spout so chambered. I always could read sign.(grin)

The 7mmRemMag,would be easy to argue as being the best use of the H&H hull in any configuration and few love it more than I. That being said,it ain't the platform I'd be pressing into a Newb's mitts.

If one ain't careful,it's easy to whistle through 100rds+ of 243/243AI in a day,just [bleep] around having fun and in direct comparison,the 7mmRemmie wouldn't see nearly the trigger time by most and especially Newbs. While long having been a Giant Killer,the "lowly" 243 has made great gains,due simply to the sensational boolits now available for same.

Boolits matter more than headstamps...always have,always will.

DD,

A S/S Faux Ti 243Win is Biiiiiggggggggggggg Medicine,for leetle loot.

Mojo,

I shoulda took pics from the other day,banging around with a coupla Newbs...letting them fingerphuck some wares. Had 223AI's,22-250AI's,243,243AI's,6-284's,7-08,7-08AI,308 and a 7 Whizzum in my crummy.

The fast twist 223AI(Secondhand Rose) with 75 Max's stole the show and I reckon that due to the ease in chasing trace/impact in squirrely conditions,through the Leupie MK4 straight 10x M1. Then I let 'em gun my Roctucky 223AI and everyone said "[bleep] the heavy schit" and it's funny how them side by each comparisons in the flesh work. Though admittedly,I knowed how it was gonna unfold and saved the Rocktucky for last.(grin)

It's easy for me to say,if only because I've got it all.

Jordan,

I've heard the same whining schit,from dumbphuckers who shoot nothin' other than their mouths,in regards to Big Green 6mm spouts and the 243Win chambering in particular. 'Course,I've always enjoyed the hilarity associated with Guessers talking out their azzes and am happy to supply all of the slack on the rope,they wish to try and manage.(grin)

Big Green twists and throats rather favorably in 243Win and it's just a [bleep] shame that other Makers don't take that hint.

[bleep] Bean Counter anyhow.

'GUE,

It looks orange,but is actually ALOT oranger than it looks.(grin) Took me two cans,to get it glowin'!

Windowlickers fret such things,but I never spooked easily.

[Linked Image]

Winny goat [bleep] the FN SPR A1 DBM's,by tossing a 2.8" COAL magazine,in a 3" receiver. Would LOVE a C/L FN SPR in an A5,wearing AICS/Alpha2 mags and chambered in 7 Whizzum(with a Montucky throat)...as a Play Toy.

[bleep] Bean Counters anyhow.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
WOW! I've read all of your posts (several times) and I must say I'm ready to run out a buy me a 243!! Not so fast.

I like your colorful way of painting even if it is with a lot of "PH'ing" and I think I know what you are saying???

Long range shooting is relevant to whom ever. Shooting a 22 rim fire out to 300 yards is long range. Especially with a wind. Heavier is always better as far as rifle weight and bullet weight is concerned but it does add stability.

Matt Allen, Probably the best gun for your bud will be....you thought I was going to recommend something...Not. Your Bud needs to make that decision. Boxer does make some excellent points. For kill'n paper and coyotes he's not going to need anything over a 22 caliber and for argument sake a max of 6.5mm. Since you can't kill deer in Iowa with a rifle anyway so the bigger bores aren't needed. Any 22, 6mm, 6.5mm with HIGH BC bullets will do just fine and it doesn't need to say AI or Magnum behind it. And when it comes to which rifle..well his purse will tell him which is right for him. Doesn't need to be a heavy barrel or have a fancy fiberglass stock. Coyote killing normally means you won't be shooting a lot or enough to heat up the barrel anyway. And if you Bud just wants to burn powder at a range maybe he should look at an AR platform gun.

Probably the best advice is get something you like, put a decent piece of glass on it and shoot. When he gets to the point he's bored with what he has maybe he can afford to go bigger, badder, farther.

Cheers!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Boxer
a modest weight 243Win 700 ...

Drive LW's ...

toss 1" Leupie glass wearing an ele turret in the saddle

good advice right there, and not just for newbs.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (35, anothergun, ATC, Angus1895, 38HBWC, 808outdoors, 13 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,027
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.