Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Eddy',

Big Momma often reminds me that I've got "too much" stuff and there are times,when I think the Old Gal might could be close to right.(grin) Though I'd never say that to her.

550 for me,because I like to retain the control of manual indexing.

Mojo',

24" and too long in my book,mebbe I'll fix it this evening. The Rugerage is BD's.

MK II pistoles,reliably do nice thangs and can be pressed into service to Club Baby Seals to boot,when in a pinch.(grin)

rosco',

I've seen me be hard on loudeners too. A guy can do alotta schit with a hacksaw and a double-ended Oberg...though they(Oberg's) is gettin' tougher to find.

Anywhoo...onto chopped flutes.

Beat on it a smidge yesterday afternoon,after the weather broke. Done did the JB/Kroil pristine bore clean,so as to establish cursory Precision Baselines and I rolled some Old Gold if only for giggles. Was thinking to myself,that it had been 20+ years since I'd loaded nekked boolits,but it were the route to travel,for a Dedicated Ball Burper.

[Linked Image]

Got to shorten the leap some,ala HS...which is moot due to Cooler COAL. First poke got whistled from the hip,which is my standard practice for any new to me rifle,receiver or barrel. I'm pretty and wish to stay that way.

Boresighted on the beeg 100yd dot,as best I could MPAJ laying in the schit,like a [bleep] [bleep] and hung the first poke on paper. It were deep into left-field,so I whirled knobs and hung 3 more to season the bore. They was a touch toward the shortstop,so adjusted again and walked to take a look.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'd be amongst the last,to make determinations based offa Clinically Cleaned bore,with but 5 pokes down it's neck. Waltzed back,poked pecker in the snow and rolled another trio. Could see through the fixed 12x glass,that things was gettin' mo' bettah. Waltzed again,to eyephuck in the flesh,to see what I knowed it were gonna do,had done been did.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/2R8G4584.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/2R8G4585.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/2R8G4588.jpg[/img]

It is a Beauty.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/2R8G4605.jpg[/img]

Bumped windage to the right,zero'd turrets,replaced caps,stoked the mag and were content. Swung by the store on the way home,bought BC's(I don't know where in the [bleep] the ones slated to it went,musta loaned 'em out?!?) and some primers...calling it a wrap. Ran a come-up ribbon and will play around giving schit a wee bit of a chance today,by goin' retro ala Rice Paddy Prone. Loaded up the balance of that nostalgic box of #2200's and am fixin' to Wage War,here directly.

Long way of sayin' The 82 Trick Move schit,has always cracked me the [bleep] up! The only schit that matters,is the schit that matters.(hint)

Much to be said for keepin' the pony ahead of the cart.

Film at 11:00.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Boxer
I'm pretty and wish to stay that way.

LMFAO!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang I wish you would send me that barrel with the lopped off flutes and let me pretty it up for ya. I cut back about .80 staying with the root diameter of the the flutes after I face it off then bevel them on a 45 . Then cut a recessed crown about .100 with some beveled angles. I have done a couple that way and they really do not look bad at all. Not that it would make it humm any sweeter. smile

W
W
Now that is one of the most emotive questions anyone might ask! It is a very personal choice.
At the risk of offending you dear Hunting brothers and sisters in the States, I would reccomend a Mannlicher-Steyr, Calibre to suit your purpose, but 308 is the great all-rounder. The Cold-Hammer forged Barrels cannot, in my opinion, be bested, they are sub-MOA from the start, the copper build up is lower than pretty well all other types of barrel, and the Safe Bolt System has to be the safest available. The range of Models is nicely comprehensive enough to suit anyone, whether it be Varmint Hunting, general Hunting, or the Big Game in Africa requirements. All I can say is 'try it, you'll fall in love with it'!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wolverine, welcome to the fire!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a fan of free floated barrels for my rigs.
The 308 is a good all around cartridge.
It is not my choice for the best to learn on though.
It will have a long barrel life.
For me there is more to a LR rig than barrel life.
Having said that I have a Rem 40x in 308 (Couldn't turn it down for the price), and am having a F-Class rifle built (switch barrel in 308 win for FTR and 284 Win for Open).

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sendero or a accumark, something 338

1 and done
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Boxer

It is a Beauty.

[Linked Image]

That's purty.

Is the stock an HTG with some custom body work on the grip and comb?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Browning ABolt LR in 6.5 creedmoor with fluted 26" barrel. Can be bought for $8xx.00. Already set to go. Don't need to do anything, but scope it and go.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Rem 700 SPS Varmint .243 Win.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

On second thought, better stay away from those factory 700 barrels in .243. They don't work. *grin*

Man what will you do when your phone dies...guess you're s.o.l.

I didnt know marksmanship included using an Iphone app....good lawd..

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=JWP58

I didnt know marksmanship included using an Iphone app....good lawd..[/quote]

You've got some catchin' up to do, Huh?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang JWP58 I thought you used one of these? Not much different than a phone.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Wow, those two-four-threes sound like the perfect long range elk and mule deer rifle especially using target bullets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SU35
Wow, those two-four-threes sound like the perfect long range elk and mule deer rifle especially using target bullets.

You might be surprised how perfect they really are.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Surprise me and show me some pics. Especially the long range shots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I may actually have some hold on while I look in photoucket, but don't hold your breath.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JWP58
Rem 700 SPS Varmint .243 Win.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

On second thought, better stay away from those factory 700 barrels in .243. They don't work. *grin*

I didnt know marksmanship included using an Iphone app....good lawd..

I guess it flew right over your head that the iPhone app was used to analyze the group after I got home from shooting, based on a picture of the plate that I took after I shot the group...

My phone's battery has died in the field many times. There's a reason I carry a "laminated" drop chart in the stock pack on my LR rigs...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35
Surprise me and show me some pics. Especially the long range shots.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You cannot lead some folks to water no matter how many pics or videos you post RC. I did not have any elk or mule deer long range kill pics with the 243 on photobucket, just deer and antelope. I know I have some mule deer LR 243 kill pics somewhere, but they were shot by kids so they probably do not count. smile Everybody knows 243s only kill stuff for kids and women as that video confirms.

Last edited by EddyBo; 03/26/13.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Cow elk with a 243, now we're talking.
Good thing they used a good hunting bullet, the Berger, and not a target bullet.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

437 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1100mag, 57 invisible), 3,521 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,775
Posts18,535,901
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.