Campfire Regular
J
I was going to do this:

Stiller Predator RBRP single shot
Brux #3 .243 caliber 8 twist, crowned at 24-inches, 1-inch shank
Jewell trigger
Manners EH3 stock
6mm BR

The Brux is bought from darrenk75b here. The Predator was ordered this morning (they said it would probably be a couple of months wait). I will probably order the Manners around the first of May. I will likely order a reamer from PTG.

I am also moving to Alabama in the summer to Maxwell AFB, and I'll be about 30 minutes away from Mickey Coleman. I briefly exchanged PMs with Mickey, and he's happy to assemble the pieces.

Here's my question--why would I not chamber a 6mm Dasher instead of the 6mm BR? Any downside at all to the Dasher?

Any inputs on the freebore? I was thinking of shooting the 107 Matchking and 105 Berger. I was thinking of a .270 or .271 neck (no turn).

Thanks gents!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think Aalf is your huckelberry on this question.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
I think Aalf is your huckelberry on this question.

I do too!

Everything Micky has put together for me has been as it should be.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see guys running BRs and Dashers at Ridgway quit a bit.
They work very well as long as the conditions are not crazy.
Every now and then they fail to knock over the target.its happens just not very often.
You could take the BR out of the box and shoot it.
The Dasher will have to have the case blown and extra step.
I never considered blowing cases that big of a deal anyway.
Why such a light barrel on a single shot?
All my single shots are RBLP.
Off the bench its just so much more convenient.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Joel, the build sounds sweet, but there's just some stuff that doesn't make sense to me (not that won't work)...

I'd definitely run a repeater on this build, I can't see any reason for a single shot on a lightweight rifle... Chances are you're gonna' love the round and rifle, and want to take it hunting.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have been shooting a 6BR Improved (not a true dasher)for many years and it is my favorite round for several reasons.

It has about 4 times the barrel life of my 6-284, low recoil, long brass life (Lapua), and accuracy that other chamberings cant match.

I tried the 105's and 107's but the Berger 95gr VLD is the ONLY bullet I shoot in mine anymore, take this into consideration when making your reamer because the bearing surface is much shorter with the 95gr VLD than the 105-107's.
match it with Varget or RL15 and 205 primers and it makes a combo you will love.
I would go with a heavier barrel if it was mine but a single shot action is the way to go but I would suggest a RBLP.

My reamer is a .270 but I turned the high side off my necks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does Stiller make a Predator in anything but a RB/RP or LB/LP? They don't list it. I see Borden will do the Alpine in any of these configurations.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Does Stiller make a Predator in anything but a RB/RP or LB/LP? They don't list it. I see Borden will do the Alpine in any of these configurations.

I'm correct handed grin so I didn't ask about wrong handed options. But they offered me the choice of a a RBRP with no rail, and a RBLP with a rail. I imagine you could get either with or without rail. I got RBRP no rail. Talley makes standard bases for a Predator, or you can use 2 Rem 700 front bases/rings.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Tanner
Joel, the build sounds sweet, but there's just some stuff that doesn't make sense to me (not that won't work)...

I'd definitely run a repeater on this build, I can't see any reason for a single shot on a lightweight rifle... Chances are you're gonna' love the round and rifle, and want to take it hunting.

From almost all accounts a 6 BR is a superbly accurate cartridge, but one that does not feed well from a magazine.

I have thought a little about the "hunting" dilemma. If I were a betting man I would lay money that you are correct, and that I will want to take this rifle hunting. I intend to shoot the hell out of this thing at targets, so I'll likely be very comfortable with it. I am not intending it to be a hunting rifle partially because of the feeding issue--but dudes hunt with Ruger #1s, right? I was thinking if I take it hunting I'll just have to make the first shot count. That's what I prefer anyway. Even with a repeater I seldom take more shots than 1.

Originally Posted by boatanchor
I have been shooting a 6BR Improved (not a true dasher)for many years and it is my favorite round for several reasons.

It has about 4 times the barrel life of my 6-284, low recoil, long brass life (Lapua), and accuracy that other chamberings cant match.

I tried the 105's and 107's but the Berger 95gr VLD is the ONLY bullet I shoot in mine anymore, take this into consideration when making your reamer because the bearing surface is much shorter with the 95gr VLD than the 105-107's.
match it with Varget or RL15 and 205 primers and it makes a combo you will love.
I would go with a heavier barrel if it was mine but a single shot action is the way to go but I would suggest a RBLP.

My reamer is a .270 but I turned the high side off my necks.

For position shooting practice (sitting, kneeling, prone, standing) I think I would regret RBLP. That would probably mean I would end up shooting more from the bench, and what I need to do is shoot less from the bench. I am sure I would get used to it. From the bench it would be terrific!

I have thought about going with a Bartlein #3 instead of a Brux #3. That would mean a .680 or so muzzle instead of a .630 or so muzzle. But it also means a half pound more weight, and I don't want the balance to be off. I'll ask Mickey what he thinks about the balance for the two.

Thanks for your inputs! I'm in no way trying to be defensive. At first glance, this rifle has an identity crisis. From a BR perspective it doesn't make sense to have a 6 BR with a sporter barrel, and it doesn't make sense not to build with a RBLP. From a sporting perspective it doesn't make sense to make a single shot.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Oh, I don't know. Sporter 6mmBRs make a ton of sense to me...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
No dispute here!

How did yours feed? Did you need to do any modifications?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
With 1 or 2 down, it fed great using a Bryant-mod magbox. When I tried to put 3 down, things got a little wonkey, and reliability was less than perfect.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just had a LVSF finished in 6BR. It will feed 2 from the mag every time, put in 3 and things go down hill quickly from there. I bet someone smarter than me could fix that.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What is the advantage of a 6mm Dasher over a (say)6XC or 6BR for competition shooting?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
What is the advantage of a 6mm Dasher over a (say)6XC or 6BR for competition shooting?

The 6mm Dasher is an "Improved" 6 BR with the shoulder moved forward 0.10 inches and with a 40 degree shoulder. The Dasher holds about 3.5 grains more powder than the 6 BR. I think the Dasher holds a current 1000-yard size record, but that doesn't really matter to me.

Here's a link to a page that talks about the Dasher:
http://www.6mmbr.com/6brimproved01.html

From what I can gather, the downsides to the Dasher are you have to fire-form cases (similar to AI), dies are much more difficult to find and/or custom dies are required, and barrel life is a bit less. The upside is about 100 to 150 more fps and cases that require less trimming. Most guys on posts or other pages have indicated the Dasher is beneficial when shooting past 600 yards, as you can move heavier (better B.C.) bullets quicker as compared to the normal 6 BR.

After conferring with a man of rational mind (Mr. Coleman), I will go with the regular 6 BR. It's got enough "juice", offers better barrel life, excellent brass is immediately available, no need to fire form, excellent dies are immediately available, etc. Thanks for the rational gunsmiths of the world!

Looks to me like a 6XC is a larger (longer) case than the 6 BR case. This page indicates it can be made from 22-250 brass: http://www.6mmbr.com/6XC.html

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Joel: Thanks...great explanation. I appreciate that! wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I loved all my BRs in the past. Killed deer in my Ruger #1 and Dakota Predator. Varmints w Ruger n Rems. If doing a 6 tdy. I'd be very compelled to go XC or 47L because of no mod feeding concerns and powder to run well w heavies.

Can't pick a bad six. Some do better at different jobs. A 243 in 8 twist even deserves consideration smile

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
What is the advantage of a 6 BR/ Dasher over a 6-250?

Seems like a little velocity advantage, significant feeding advantage, and Lapua makes 22-250 brass.

These are genuine questions but then there is the Ps- 15-20 gr less powder than 243 w/ equal bullet weights... I am sure that helps barrel life!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Inherent accuracy, known load combos, etc. For me, the 6br ruled as I don't like forming.

Velocity is decent, but the 6br is certainly not a screamer. If I can get great accuracy with a significant reduction in powder, and performance that is not all that diminished from a .243, I'm happy. And that is precisely what the 6br offers.

The 6-250, 6xc, 6x47L all offer a bit better velocity and more reliable feeding but at a cost - more powder, shorter barrel life, etc.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you're target shooting at 600 and under get the 6br. Past 600 the Dasher does a LITTLE better. If you're shooting mostly 100-400 a sporter 6ppc would be fun too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,901
Posts18,498,091
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.