Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by eyeball
guns don't have brains
Yes, but people with guns do. The parallel is perfect, therefore. Remember, the left doesn't actually want to outlaw guns. They want to outlaw people with guns, with the only exceptions being certain employees of the state.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a scientifically proven fact that selective breeding has a measurable effect on the disposition and preferences of animals. Pit lovers too often deny that fact. Some strains of hounds prefer foxes while others of the same breed were more interested in bear or cats or even deer (years ago). Pointers and setters have a thing about upland birds. Pits were bred to lick trespassers to death and at the same time to "look" mean and scare them away. crazy (well, according to a real pit expert who would get rich from writing a book on this rare, valuable, and unique quality if he had the time). whistle

To get working dogs, breeders must breed TOWARD "good" characteristics, with bidability being at the top of the list. A bird dog or cowdog needs to be "eat up" with desire to point birds or bay up cattle, but if his desire to please his owner doesn't trump all else, he is not a top dog.

The pack instinct is where ALL the good characteristics come from as far as I can determine. A dog's bidability comes directly from his instinct to submit to the pack leader.

To get a dog that will go directly against the pack instinct and kill another dog, even one that has submitted to him, requires a breeder to breed AWAY from all the good characteristics.

No breeder gets to control successive generations of his line to the point he can breed out ALL undesirable characteristics in his line of dogs.

Nobody breeds race horses to make slower horses. Nobody tries to get rid of athletic ability in cow horses. And we don't encourage violent lunatics to mate with other violent lunatics, and then breed their offspring to mates just like them.

THAT would be the human equivalent to pitbulls.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
IIRC, Hawk, you have previously indicated on another pit thread, how proud, superior, smug you feel going to the dog park and having all the others give way to your passage and defer to your course of travel with your pit on leash. It's the same as with the majority of killer dog owners -getting proud (hard) wherever possible.
I once recounted that the owner of a huge mastiff at the dog park did that. Not that I did.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by curdog4570
It's a scientifically proven fact that selective breeding has a measurable effect on the disposition and preferences of animals. Pit lovers too often deny that fact. Some strains of hounds prefer foxes while others of the same breed were more interested in bear or cats or even deer (years ago). Pointers and setters have a thing about upland birds. Pits were bred to lick trespassers to death and at the same time to "look" mean and scare them away. crazy (well, according to a real pit expert who would get rich from writing a book on this rare, valuable, and unique quality if he had the time). whistle

To get working dogs, breeders must breed TOWARD "good" characteristics, with bidability being at the top of the list. A bird dog or cowdog needs to be "eat up" with desire to point birds or bay up cattle, but if his desire to please his owner doesn't trump all else, he is not a top dog.

The pack instinct is where ALL the good characteristics come from as far as I can determine. A dog's bidability comes directly from his instinct to submit to the pack leader.

To get a dog that will go directly against the pack instinct and kill another dog, even one that has submitted to him, requires a breeder to breed AWAY from all the good characteristics.

No breeder gets to control successive generations of his line to the point he can breed out ALL undesirable characteristics in his line of dogs.

Nobody breeds race horses to make slower horses. Nobody tries to get rid of athletic ability in cow horses. And we don't encourage violent lunatics to mate with other violent lunatics, and then breed their offspring to mates just like them.

THAT would be the human equivalent to pitbulls.
THIS

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
And unless a "drunk" driver actually drives recklessly, they should be left alone.

Are you [bleep] serious?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So pit bulls have been bred for many years to fight with deadly results;

So pit bulls don't just bite--they tear into muscle and bone and shake their victim(s);

So pit bull injuries are more severe than other breeds. All the red flags are there.

So why would any rational person want to take a chance in owning such a "pet" that could kill or maim an innocent person? That, to me, defies all logic.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
And unless a "drunk" driver actually drives recklessly, they should be left alone.

Are you [bleep] serious?

He is. over nine pages of this crap and I'm betting over half the posts are his and if you go through the YEARS here about these damned dogs, you'll find him repetitive to the point of insanity.
Definition of insanity: Repeating the same thing over and over again with the same results but expecting a different outcome. Norman Bates is calling.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48

So pit bulls don't just bite--they tear into muscle and bone and shake their victim(s);

So pit bull injuries are more severe than other breeds. All the red flags are there.

So why would any rational person want to take a chance in owning such a "pet" that could kill or maim an innocent person? That, to me, defies all logic.
Let's demand that our legislators take action. Call your state representatives, people. They know best which dog breeds we can be trusted to own and which we cannot. smirk

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You're makin their case.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
Sooooooo, how do you guys think a Pit bull would stack up against a hyena??? whistle

The first time I saw a live (well, recently living) hyena, I was shocked at how large they are. The two I saw were striped Hyenas in Iraq. They filled up the bed of one of those little pickup trucks that were out there.

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48

Napoleon syndrome. Oh yea, those pits in the junk yard won't bother a kid if they get out. They just look mean. UFR crazy

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I called one in Fl.

I asked about having you committed.

He said the FL Statehouse is not allowed to keep a pet monkey, so they read your posts here instead.

Got a cartoon of a guy jumping up on the curb to avoid a crazed Negro in a pickup truck, hanging right behind the podium, so he claims.

He says you are the best proof they got that not ALL the idiots in FL get elected to public office as some citizens claim.

You are UNTOUCHABLE.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
And sorry Jeff, quick reply, I wasn't commenting to your post.

No problem! I appreciate your level headed and respectful input. I try, but still have trouble acting as well.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I completely agree with those of you that say pit owners, or any dog owner, should be held accountable for any attack or negligent abuse/care of their dogs. I believe that poor ownership can be tacked back to the overwhelming majority of these attacks. If we disciplined pet owners for their own irresponsible control of their pets, I think much of this problem would be solved.

As Ingwe states, pits were once used and considered by the public to be nanny dogs. But, there came a time a few decades ago where the dogs were targeted by people for the wrong reasons. This is the problem and the root of these attacks. this is what this discussion should be about. Not pitbulls or any other breeds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
i find it interesting that the most violent among us tend to prefer the same characteristic in their dogs. Those same dogs (pit bulls) you will NEVER see used as working dogs as they cannot be controlled.

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Oh, I forgot about all those bomb sniffing pit bulls in Iraq, and all those in use at the Nuke sites.

I think you will find that Pitbulls have quite a history of service in the USMC..

"USMC Sargeant Stubby
Pit Bull and the US Most Decorated Military Dog

[Linked Image]
USMC Sargeant Stubby, hero and veteran of WWI courtesy of the US National Archives.

In 1916 the United States was deep in a conflict that changed the world. A time of innocence and idealism would collapse in the face of WWI. As areas of sporting events, education and otherwise peaceful intentions were pressed into service by the military, a group of students participated in military training in Yale Field and were joined by a charming, happy Bull Terrier, one we would quickly identify as a Pit Bull today. Stubby, as he came to be known for his chunky body and good sense of humor, was an endearing mascot and treasured companion, so when the young men were reassigned to Newport News for final training before deployment, they couldn't abandon him.

While most of the troops would be in vehicles for mass transport that wouldn't hide a dog effectively, Corporal J. Conroy would be traveling in a supply car. This provided a real option for hiding the dog and bringing him with them. Corporal Conroy initially declined then the savvy soldiers introduced Stubby to him. His resistence melted in the face of Stubby's kisses. Thus began a friendship that would serve both Corp Conroy, the company of soldiers and Stubby for the duration of the War.

From Newport News, Stubby was smuggled to Europe with his friends, this required the complicity of others since the US did not have a military dog program at the time and if they had, Stubby had not been trained for duty so it is questionable that he would have been included.

Trained or not, Stubby made himself of immense service. It is difficult to say how many soldiers returned home due to his alerts over gas attacks (he could smell the gas in time for the soldiers to get their masks on) or when he identified and captured (by the seat of his pants, no less) a German spy. Stubby didn't always benefit from his actions though. He was seriously poisoned by gas at least once (none of the gas masks could be fitted for him) and nearly killed by a grenade (but instead recovered and rejoined his fellow troops). He even saved a young girl while in Paris. Stubby suddenly bolted from Conroy's side and knocked a girl away from a street corner, out of the path of a careening car. While they were grazed by the car, neither was seriously hurt.

The people of France were enamored with Stubby, his loving attitude which hadn't changed since his days training with the soldiers in Yale Field, and his heroism. The ladies of a French town near where they were stationed fashioned a special coat for Stubby that could display his many awards, medals and commendations. One of those would have been his honorary title of Sargeant in the United States Marine Corps.

[Linked Image]

Despite his heroism and bravery, Stubby somehow managed to retire from his unofficial military service in 1919. After 18 months in the European front, it would seem that the excitement was over. But no one asked Stubby! When Corporal Conroy attended Georgetown University Law School, Stubby became the unofficial Hoya mascot. His antics of playing with the football not only served to be entertaining but initiated a line of canine mascots to follow and is even credited with beginning the half time show. Stubby still found time to be received by not one but two Presidents (he'd met President Wilson during the War and offered his well known salute to Wilson's delight), Calvin Coolidge and Warren Harding at the White House. He led many parades and attended military conventions and conferences.

Corporal Conroy perhaps uttered the most telling and accurate quote regarding his friend when he was nearly denied service at the Grand Majestic Hotel in New York City because they wouldn't accept the dog. With a grumble that might have been worthy of Stubby facing a German spy, Corporal Conroy is reported to have said "This is no dog. This is a war hero!" Stubby was then received and signed the guestbook with a pawprint. Stubby was more than a military dog or war dog as demonstrated by the full review of his life, he was an envoy and an ambassador both for dogs and the United States Military. For those people who had suffered at the hands of a conquering power, the sense of relief was made all the more real when the invaders were repelled by a friendly force who came forth with a dog offering kisses.

In 1926, after a life worthy of several movies, Stubby died. His remains were preserved and are still maintained (along with his "uniform" made by the French ladies and his medals) by the Smithsonian Institution of Washington, DC. Currently he is on loan to the State of Connecticut."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Owners of pit bulls oughta heed the advice of the lady who helped a newcomer know when to get off the streetcar at the right stop �

"Just watch me and get off three blocks before I do."

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I guess whoever the breeders were that led to my dog wanted to keep the football trait.

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Naw, he's just building jaw muscles. wink grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
a wolf will kill a pitbull first everytime

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yes, in the blink of an eye. There is a difference in human bred killers and natural born killers.

Last edited by eyeball; 03/16/13.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

321 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 51 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,647
Posts18,512,558
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.