Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm not sure if it's the same today, but Washington used to require brakes on (all axles of) trailers over 2,500# or 40% of the weight of the towing vehicle.

I've got a 3,500#GVW single axle trailer that I spec-ed out with brakes when I bought it. With much weight at all on it--- and when towing it with my Tacoma--- brakes are a must-have, even with the trailer grossing under 2,500#. I've towed it with the Tacoma when it weighed 3,480# and it was something I wouldn't knowingly do even once without brakes.

I've put 150,000 miles on the Tacoma and the brakes still don't need attention, but I doubt that would be the case if I towed much weight with it very often. Brakes are better than horsepower when towing.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I built this one. It weighs 1100 empty. The tires, axles & springs are rated at 2k/axle so I can put just under 3k on it & stay within the ratings. I've had 3k on it and can honestly say that you wouldn't want to pull it without brakes.

[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scoff all you want. I have an old 7.3 with a few modifications. I added 100 hp and upped the mileage from 21 to 24 mpg. That is running empty on flat country with the auto speed control on.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I pulled a 40ft older mobile home with my old 76 F-250 with a hopped up 390 many places for work.My newer F-150 beats it in horsepower/torque and equals it in cargo weight and towing.

The new F-150 is better than the old F-250 towing over 11000 pounds and payloads over 3000 pounds, all under Ford warranty.

Some need to get over the old 1/2 tons I would never have owned.

Jayco

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ppine
Scoff all you want. I have an old 7.3 with a few modifications. I added 100 hp and upped the mileage from 21 to 24 mpg. That is running empty on flat country with the auto speed control on.

Your other post implied you got 24 while hauling.

Is that your assertion or not?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nice looking trailer. Is it 6' wide? 6'x10'? I like the tandem axles as opposed to a single. That gives you less chance of an accident if you blow one tire.

The color may be off on my computer (they look yellow), but is that pumpkins in the boxes in the back...?

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Up to 24 mpg", means that is the upper limit with everything going in my favor. Certainly not hauling anything. My neighbor gets 26 mpg empty in his 3/4 ton Dodge with the 5.9 and a manual trans.

George Santayana
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Nice looking trailer. Is it 6' wide? 6'x10'? I like the tandem axles as opposed to a single. That gives you less chance of an accident if you blow one tire.

The color may be off on my computer (they look yellow), but is that pumpkins in the boxes in the back...?
Yeah, 6x10. I used tandem 12" wheels so I could avoid wheel well while getting them to track with my pickup and keeping the bed low. I should have gone with 13" wheels, though. They hold up better and aren't enough taller to make any practical difference. Tandem axles also ride MUCH smoother than singles. They make a bump only half a bump.

Yes, those are pumpkins. I used to work in R&D for a seed company. One of our research crops was pumpkins. I had the trailer at work for hauling the pumpkins out of the field.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I am another Tundra convert. After owning two Dodge Diesels, I decided to switch. I actually had a 2002 Dodge and 2004 Tundra at the same time. Got the newer gen Tundra in 08.

To me, the current Tundra is an extra rear leaf pack away from a 3/4 ton truck. The engine, transmission, axles, and brakes are are 3/4 ton worthy. I regularly tow around a 4500lb boat, and this is a cake walk in the Tundra, even in the mountains up and down mountain passes. I also slog around the family and commute with it, so efficiency is important too. I normally do 14-15 mpg in my commute that is maybe 70% city/30% hwy. I get about 12-13 towing the boat, and between 17 and 20mpg on the highway, unloaded, depending on speed.

If I regularly towed more weight, like 7k lbs plus, I'd go back to a diesel, but for me it works. I pulled an 8500 lb trailer full of rocks once, and the Tundra did fine but was starting to feel a bit strained IMO. I did put L/T tires on it, as I was pushing bed loads in the 1800 lb range on occasion, and this was destroying the P rated tires. Problem solved.

I have not read through the whole thread, but if your situation is similar to mine, check out a Tundra.

Last edited by sigguy; 05/12/13.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For 2013, The Tundra double cab is rated for 1455 lb. The Dodge diesel crew cab 2500 is rated for 2934 lb. The Tundra's towing capacity is 9700 while the Dodge is rated at 16750.
There's no possible way that the 1/2 ton Tundra is close to the 3/4 ton Dodge for capacity. If you don't haul a big load, the Tundra is an excellent truck but if you need the capacity, there are much better choices. You need a truck rated to do the job you need done.

Don't forget that when towing, passengers, fuel, and the tongue weight are all part of the load weight. If you max out the payload then hang on a trailer with a 300 lb tongue weight, you're overloaded. 2 big guys, a full tank, and 2 ATV's will be over 1400lb. That doesn't leave room for a big camper.

TUNDRA CAPACITIES

RAM CAPACITIES

― George Orwell

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
And it appears the new Ford F-150 has a higher payload capacity than the Dodge 3/4 ton diesel.... laugh

The F-150 continues its tradition of delivering best-in-class payload capability (3,120 lbs.) and 81.3 cubic feet of cargo box volume

No question a 3/4 ton is a better hauler in most cases where a guy hauls most of the time but for casual use hunting/fishing and whatever, the new F-150's exceed the old 3/4 tons hands down and even some of the new 3/4 tons in payload capacity with a Ford factory warranty to back it up.

Jayco

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The majority of pickup buyers have no need for that kind of capacity. Ford is apparently considering resurrecting the old F100 name. If they do, it'll be to hit the market for those who want a pickup but don't need a 3/4 ton capacity 150. There are millions of truck owners who never haul more than a lawn mower and a sack of fertilizer.

RETURN OF THE F100

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I agree completely.

If I were in the situation you describe, a 3/4 or 1 ton would fit the bill. I wouldn't put any camper in a 1/2 ton, period.

I believe that many folks who get big 3/4 ton diesels seldom need that capacity. If you can get by with "only" a 10K towing capacity, and most often tow less, the Tundra can be much more efficient.

The Tundra IMO has many components that are 3/4 ton sized, and are understressed for 1/2 ton duty.

I love turbo diesels, and have owned Dodge and VW diesels. I wish diesel cost less, and sometimes I miss the old Cummins. But after owning many trucks over the last 30 years or so, I have been very satisfied with the tradeoff the Tundra offers.

If you regularly tow under 6-7K lbs, and do not need a 3K lb payload, a good 1/2 ton can be just the ticket. That being said, if Toyota offered a 3/4 ton Tundra, especially a turbo diesel, I'd be first in line! grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Toyota dealer told me that they'd researched building both a 3/4 and a diesel but dropped them to concentrate on the lighter weight market. Try to find one with 4 doors and a long bed. We found one but they're hard to come by. We seriously considered it but the weight capacity was just too light for our needs.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Try to find one with 4 doors and a long bed. We found one but they're hard to come by.

That's what my 2010 Tundra is! Does what I need a PU to do.

220 Swift still king.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Try to find one with 4 doors and a long bed. We found one but they're hard to come by.

A regular cab with the long bed, 4X4, and 5.7 engine is even tougher to find. I found one but it took awhile.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An American 3/4 or 1 ton diesel gets better mileage and will out live any 1/2 truck ever made. If you use a truck like a truck, it is a very easy decision. I like to support American industry and drive a Ford, not a rice burner.

Last edited by ppine; 05/16/13.

George Santayana
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ppine
An American 3/4 or 1 ton diesel gets better mileage and will out live any 1/2 truck ever made. If you use a truck like a truck, it is a very easy decision. I like to support American industry and drive a Ford, not a rice burner.

That's about the most intelligent post I've ever read tired

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tundras are built in the US. My Dodge was made in Mexico. All makes use so many imported parts that it's impossible to say they were made in any specific country.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ajmorell,
thanks. The wonders never cease.

RockChuck,
Who stands to make a profit? A Jap company or an American one? You are either part of the answer or part of the problem no matter how you rationalize it. My Ford was built in Kentucky.

George Santayana
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

235 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 29 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,115
Posts18,483,452
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.