Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have another thread on the newer Tundras but am wrestling between the 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton trucks.

I am leaning toward a 3/4 ton probably gas as I maxed out my 1500 with a light slide in camper and pulling a trailer with a couple of fourwheelers. I will probably pull horses at some point but not often and can always use my dad's truck as they are his horses and his horsetrailer to begin with so I might as well use the whole package.

Although the promise of better gas mileage and lower initial cost brings me back to the half tons. I am considering selling the slidein and getting a smaller camper trailer, maybe a toyhauler. I would probably then have a fourwheeler in the bed of the truck and pull the camper. This is something I think most half tons are capable of though we do have large mountain passes here.

I am thinking of the a newer model ford maybe with the ecoboost or the new 5 liter. It sounds like it has quite a bit of spunk for its size. Other trucks I am considering are the Tundra or maybe the dodge half ton.

As far as 3/4 tons go I was dead set on the chevy with duramax or the 6.0 liter, but now I am not so sure anymore. I want a crew cab in any of the models and the new 2011 ford 3/4 ton with its new gas engine seems to be getting good reviews. After driving my dad's 3/4 ton hemi compared to our office chevy 3/4 ton 6 liter I am much more impressed with the dodge.

So I am kind of rambling but now am just not sure what I should look for and though I would see what say you?

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Get a 3/4....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a 1/2 ton GMC 4x4 new in 2003, wife bought same truck new in 2007. Sold hers last fall and bought an F-250 diesel (dreaded 6-oh-no) and just a few weeks ago sold my 2003 to buy a Camry. Long story short, after having the 3/4 ton, I'll never be without one. I don't use it to its capabilities often, but have pulled trailers a few times. Night in day how the truck handles the added weight between the 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton. Not saying I'll never have a 1/2 ton again, but I'll always have a 3/4. Ours isn't a daily driver as we each have cars to put the miles on, so the mileage isn't an issue, but the diesel gets better than our gas 1/2 tons did anyways.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The recent thread about the half ton Ram diesel had one poster talking about the towing ability of the Hemi versus diesel. My Cummins is currently in the shop for some maintenance and I borrowed a friends gasser to tow my side by side to the hunting property this weekend. Granted, it's a Dodge half ton with the anaemic 4.7l V8, but I was stunned by the poor mileage and the fact that it really struggled to pull a tandem axle trailer with a high profile side by side with a windshield on it. Hand calculated fuel mileage was 9.5 with mostly interstate at 65 mph. What normally costs me about $115.00 in diesel totaled $195.00 of regular, not to mention the Cummins doesn't break a sweat hauling at 70-75 mph. If you're planning on hauling stuff, definitely consider the diesel.

Really missed my truck this weekend.

Last edited by badger; 03/17/13.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
3/4 ton. Diesel if you can justify it. But gas will do just fine.

I just bought a 3/4 and after years of using 1/2 tons for various jobs I can say there won't be one in name for a long time...

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Even a smallish 20' camp trailer and an ATV in the bed will sag the springs on a 1/2. You can use an equalizer hitch and sway bars, but why bother? Just get the 3/4 and be done with it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 3/4 ton gas, my mileage is better than my old 1/2 gas, it's not the daily driver, but was for 3 years. When i need to tow, and haul the 3/4 beats the hell out of any half ton, for my day to day light hauling and get around truck, i use a minitruck, it still has an 1100 lb cargo capacity but gets 45 mpg

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The more you learn about trucks that work for a living, the more your will like 3/4 ton or 1 tons with a diesel.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Which brings up the the additional decision of gas vs diesel if I go 3/4 ton route. I commute 50 miles a day round trip but don't pull anything for work so it would be weekend warrior stuff for pulling. And not every weekend for sure. LOL too many honey dos, kids stuff etc. Hunting, camping in the summer etc. I know there are die hard diesel fans but with the additonal fuel costs and the newer models not getting the mileage the older models do I am not sure. Wouldn't be able to afford a real new model of diesel anyway though. Also wonder about the issue of yeah the engine lasts forever but what about the rest of the truck as well as increase maintence costs?

I am not against a diesel but have no loyalties either way so just trying to weigh the pros and cons.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I love my Dodge diesel but the fuel costs are more than I need. I don't drive it every day, though, so I live with it. When I need the power, it's great, though.
For a daily driver with light loads, I'd go with gas.

― George Orwell

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The bigger ford V-8 has been getting good reviews on the innanet, but I don't know anyone that has one.

I had a 2011 F-150 with the 5.0 and it towed anything I needed it to...with ease!

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm a diesel guy,but if you are not pulling or hauling heavy loads more than 50% of the time, go gas.

As for 1/2 Tons, the last one I had was 1958 Ford. I keep them and run them hard.Since the 58 Ford, I had 3/4T 67 Chevy, 1970 3/4T Dodge. 1985 3/4T Dually Ford (POS) and now a 1998 3/4T Dodge diesel. There is no comparsion on the handling of a 3/4T vs a 1/2T under loads,pulled or hauled.

Sounds like what you are doing,you are going to max out the 1/2 T with just about every thing you want to do. Why limit yourself.

Kinda of like deciding how big a tent one needs.You might not need all the space,but it's darn hard to add more if you buy one too small

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I agree with Saddlesore, what you are talking about is about max for a 1/2 ton. If I were you, I would definitely go 3/4, and carefully consider the benefits of Diesel vs gas. Talk to some guys than run 3/4 gassers and see what kind of fuel mileage they get or better yet, fill the tank and drive your pick of trucks yourself on the route to see what you can expect with either the Diesel or Gas for fuel mileage so you can better estimate the fuel cost.

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
One of the other issues that a couple buddies seemed to notice is the extra weight of diesel compared to a gas engine (especially in a half ton) is it has been easier for them to get stuck or slide on a 4wd road that is slick and snowy. They had both upgraded some years ago to a duramax and a cummins. Both said the same thing. Just considering that. Not as much an issue as it used to be now with a fourwheeler I don't take my truck into as nasty of places but still wondering if you guys noticed?

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I have played a bit with both 1/2 tons and 3/4's (and other people's 1-tons). I towed 8400lbs up the Alcan in December with a 2001 F-150. Pretty much cured me of running a half-ton.
I've since upgraded to an 04 extended cab short bed 3/4 ton cummins, and then an 06 extended cab long bed 3/4 ton cummins. The last one is about as close to perfect as I've found.

I don't miss the smoother ride of the 1/2 ton, but I know some folks do. I love the stability and the handling of the 3/4 ton, and the power and fuel efficiency of the diesel. It is just a fun truck to drive. If I were playing with a camper a lot and towing, I'd consider adding air bags in the rear (might anyway).

All of my offroad driving is extremely mild, and I wouldn't pick an extended cab long bed if I were going to do much off-road. Just too long of a wheelbase to be practical. Off-road here has very little middle ground between "sparse gravel" and "better have a swamp buggy", and 4-wheelers are much easier to pull out of the muck.

That being said, I have not noticed a problem on snow or ice with the heavier truck. The longer wheelbase in slick conditions is handy in that it takes longer to switch ends. Tires play a huge role in snow/ice as well.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Partagas
One of the other issues that a couple buddies seemed to notice is the extra weight of diesel compared to a gas engine (especially in a half ton) is it has been easier for them to get stuck or slide on a 4wd road that is slick and snowy. They had both upgraded some years ago to a duramax and a cummins. Both said the same thing. Just considering that. Not as much an issue as it used to be now with a fourwheeler I don't take my truck into as nasty of places but still wondering if you guys noticed?

Yep,the diesels sink into the mud faster and deeper. 9500lb winch helps tha tproblem.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am writing this from Moab Utah, sitting in a 26 foot camper with a slide out that I towed down from Helena, MT., with my 2013 Toyota Tundra. My last big trip was to Bella Coola BC, up and down the dreaded "THE HILL". The trailer as towed weighs about 7500 pounds. I have not had a problem maintaining speed limit or controlling the trailer on any trip. Mileage ranges from 8.8 to a little over 11, with the average while towing being about 10. I suspect winter blend of gas for some of my lower mileage readings.
My previous tow vehicle was a 1998 Chevy 2500 gas, and it weighed less than the Tundra and had lots less horsepower even though the Tundra is rated 1/2 ton.
The Tundra, by the way, has a5.7 liter engine and 4:56 rears and gets 17 plus on the highway. Unlike the Chevy, I never get really poor mileage with the Tundra, even in the winter driving it in town.

Royce

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We came very close to buying a '12 Tundra long bed last summer but it just wouldn't handle my llamas and stock rack along with a camp trailer.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It's not always about pulling power,but stopping.If brakes go out on the trailer,it sure is nice to have some reserve in the truck.

My 98 Didge diesel gets 20-22 empty and 14 pulling a 20 ft gooseneck loaded with mules and gear.

Probably newer ones get les mileage

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm with Royce. The Tundra drives great, has as big or bigger brakes than alot of 3/4 ton options, and gets as good or better mileage. Won't be paying for all the added maintenance cost for the diesel, and will be cheaper to fill for the light duty chores.

If not, 2500/Duramax.

Stay away from the 6.0h nooo! 2002 or older 7.3 would be a much better choice in the used market.

The Dodges have bad reps for trans and electronics.

Older, used trucks won't impress the neighbors as much, but screw'em

Last edited by calikooknic; 03/18/13.

Sean
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The other thing about the 3/4 vs. 1/2 ton debate is the added strenth of the 3/4 ton running gear. Most of the serious off roaders I know have learned that a 3/4 ton truck doesn't break nearly as easily as the 1/2 ton stuff does in really bad country. For that reason, I've never owned a 1/2 ton, 4WD truck. E

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Times have changed..My '08 Ford F-150 has all but the exact numbers as my '76 Ford F-250 had.The F-150 is a towing machine towing my 31 ft trailer with ease.It will haul anything my old F-250 would and did....I believe my F-150 is rated at 9400 lbs towing but with adjustments up to 11,000 lbs.

Can't disagree with getting a F-250 or 3/4 ton except for the extra cost.I have more torque in my 5.4 ltr 1/2 ton than my son does in his 2500 HD 3/4 chevy.

If the price was the same which it wasn't when I bought mine,I would get a 3/4 ton but the extra bucks was not worth it to me when the newer 1/2 tons are equal to the older 3/4 tons.

Jayco

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
So, you are saying your 08, 150 has the same running gear, that's axles, differentials, drive shafts and transfer case as the older 3/4 ton trucks ?
I don't think so. E

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm saying that Ford backs there F-150 to above the old F-250 specs.They back towing over 11,000 pounds in a 1/2 ton and the sticker on the door say's 7400 lbs which is the same as my old F-250.

Times have changed dude and I have been towing since I was 15 years old.My sons 6.0 Chevy 2500 HD has "Less" torque than my Ford F-150 and as we all know,torque is very important towing.

I am saying that my F-150 has the same specs as my old Ford F-250 for towing and cargo weight with more horses and torque and "Ford" backs it on there warranty....That's just the way it is,like it or not....

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What version is your F-150? Your tow numbers seem awfully high for a 1/2 ton gasser.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Crew cab 4X4..With the 6 speed tranny it is good to 11k towing.

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
what engine and axle gearing?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It's alittle harder for me on an Android tablet to search and copy,but here is my first search and the 2008 is the same...

The 2009 and 2010 Ford F150 trucks have a max tow rating of 11,500 pounds when properly equipped. (5.4L V8, max towing package, crew cab, etc

Jayco

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I mention running gear strenth and you are talking about towing capabilities. Perhaps you think they are the same ?
Really ? All of the serious off road rock crawlers I know either start with a 3/4 ton truck or put the same running gear in anything else, even Jeeps.
I do agree that towing capabilities have gotten better. But that's from much better transmitions and better engines than it is from stronger running gear. E

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Maybe you should re-read the original post.I saw nothing about rock crawling but guess what,I did about towing....hmmmmmmm

Jayco

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Towing is one thing. Hauling is another. Just to compare a couple, the specs on a '13 Tundra double cab shows 1325lb payload. The Dodge crewcab 2500 is 800lb MORE. That's a lot of groceries.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
He didnt ask that either.He asked about carrying a 4-wheeler in his truck and hauling a trailer...Now that we know the 1/2 ton ford can tow 11,500 pounds and has a payload of over 3/4 ton,why again does he need a 3/4 ton?

I made my living daily hauling diesel and heavy parts back into some nasty places so I don't need a lecture on 3/4 ton versus 1/2 ton...3/4 tons have there place and most all of my rigs were 3/4 ton atleast.

But I don't do that every day anymore so a 1/2 ton that is equal to the old 3/4 ton is all I need.If it was daily I hauled heavy loads and towed close to max,then the 3/4 ton makes more sense....

The question he asked did not include hauling heavy loads that exceed 3/4 ton nor was it rock climbing...It was throwing an atv in the back of the truck and hooking up to his camper and beating foot to the woods or a family trip which suits just about all the newer 1/2 ton needs along with up to 25mpg.

Jayco

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In 2012 Ford improved there F-150 to have a payload of up to 2590 lbs...That's right almost 2600 pounds of payload in an F-150 a so called 1/2 ton...Times have certainly changed...1/2 ton trucks are no longer 1/2 ton trucks other than by name and backed by warranty.

Changes to the Payload Capacity for Different SuperCrew Vehicles

Two of the SuperCrew models are receiving major upgrades to the payload capacity that will significantly improve their carrying capabilities. The 2012 EcoBoost two-wheel drive SuperCrew will receive an expanded bed to 6.5 feet, which will allow the total payload to be increased from an already impressive 2000 pounds up to a massive 2590 pounds. The 4x4 model of the SuperCrew will also be enhanced. In this case, the upgrade will shift the payload capacity from 1890 pounds up to 2340 pounds. The 6.5 foot loading area will be the same for this vehicle as for the two-wheel drive model.

Reasons for the Payload Change

It's common for truck manufacturers to make upgrades to the total payload capacity of a vehicle with subsequent model years and new designs. However, a massive payload increase of several hundred pounds is generally considered to be unique in the pickup world. One primary reason that Ford may have decided to make this adjustment is that the heavier payload capacity is already in place for the larger versions of the F-150, the Regular cab and the SuperCab. Adding the improved payload to the SuperCrew model will enhance the overall capabilities of the vehicle, as well as its attractiveness as a smaller, though still sturdy, alternative.

How the Payload Increase Was Achieved

A number of changes will be made to the design of the SuperCrew in order to facilitate this increase in total payload. The frame rails will be made thicker and the shock absorbers altered to accommodate a heavier load. Also, Ford will add an auxiliary engine and transmission cooling systems to help ensure that the vehicle doesn't overheat under the additional stress of an added payload. Seven-lug wheels will also be available on the upgraded SuperCrew, as opposed to the lighter weight six-lug wheels from previous models.

The new 2012 edition of the SuperCrew should be effective at accomplishing almost every task that you might desire for your vehicle. However, the additional weight may lower the overall fuel economy of the vehicle.

Jayco

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Partagas
...I am leaning toward a 3/4 ton probably gas...
I will probably pull horses...
the promise of better gas mileage and lower initial cost brings me back to the half tons. I am considering selling the slidein and getting a smaller camper trailer, maybe a toyhauler. I would probably then have a fourwheeler in the bed of the truck and pull the camper. This is something I think most half tons are capable of though we do have large mountain passes here...
I want a crew cab...

Once you said it had to be a crew cab, you're really also saying 3/4 ton. But if an extended cab will do, a 1/2 ton would be OK and would be plenty for pulling a couple horses.

Normal maintenance is costlier on 3/4 ton trucks (tires, brakes...). But if you are going to load the truck and tow, too, get the HD truck.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I recently traded off an older Chev light duty 3/4. It was rated about 1/2 way between a 1/2 and a 3/4. My partner had an identical truck in 1/2 ton. When we used his truck pulling a 20' camper with an ATV in the back, we had to use an equalizer hitch. With mine we didn't. Even without the ATV, his had some sway that mine didn't.
Just an extra 400lb of weight capacity made a big difference.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Speaking of older trucks and pulling,I had a '74 GMC 3/4 ton with the 454 engine for pulling my stuff around.I thought it was king kong untill I bought a 40 ft mobile home(good deal) to live and work in inbetween wives.For heat it had the old oil drip stove.

First,it set it down hard so I bought some of those old hd coil springs that clamped to your axle.That made it towable.Ofcourse with the mobile home axle,equalizers were out.It worked but sure not ideal,that was a job for a 1-ton,not a 3/4 ton.

Anyone that toes alot knows that an equalizer hitch and sway bars are a very good investment if there towing anything above a tuna can with some weight.It only takes onetime in heavy winds to make you a believer or that semi sceaming by you that makes you whip slightly and ofcourse in the snow,both help you not to jack if the trailer slips.There not sissy bars,they help out alot in non common conditions.King kongs and maucho men don't cut it towing.

The opp asked about towing with a modern 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton not the dinosaurs of old.Remember the old ford F-100...The modern 1/2 ton trucks come with the same specs as the old 3/4 tons with GVWR's of over 7,000 lbs such as my old 3/4 ton Ford and Chevy had.

The 5.4 Triton my 1/2 ton has, has the same horsepower(300hp) as my sons 6.0 in his 4X4 Chevy 2500 HD but it has more "Torque"(325 out of memory) than his 3/4 ton.The way mine is set up,I am good to 9400 lbs towing with a payload of over 1500 lbs(3/4 ton) which is just dandy for my uses,the very same as the opp and I can pull my 31 ft trailer at 50 mph over Whitebird hill,the test all should try on the famous grade...

I've pulled everything up to that 40 ft mobile home/35 ft Jayco/34 ft Terry and many below that with 454's down to the old 283 Chevy(damn good engine) and I even had a 325 HP/327 engine which I altered to pull.

Unless you need a full time rig to work hard daily pulling Max loads and carrying Max cargo day in and day out....The new/modern 1/2 tons fill that shoe with ease.You just pick one with the equipment you need to do what you want and you won't have to watch the gas guage act like a Tachometer on a huge 454 type engine and frame with payload capacities to 2600 lbs and towing to 11,500 with company warranties to back it up,some going to 100,000 miles on there warranty.

Times have changed since some of our dinosaur days of towing and hauling,I've been there done that, just like some others here.....

Jayco

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had an85 Ford 3/4T dually, 460 engine, 4:11 rear end and it would not pull sqaut either.3MPG when loaded with a 20 ft gooseneck and 15 miles an hour going up mountain passes,if it didn't vapor lock 1/2 way up. Prior to that I had Dodge 3/4T with the old 383, in it , 4:10 rear end and itwould out pul that Ford 460 andget bette gas mileage.
I also have 2004 Tacoma and although rated 3/4 T. I would not pull any heavy trailers with it.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's not just max torque that matters, but at what rpm you hit it it. I have had modern 1/2 ton gassers, and factory numbers not withstanding, they don't tow or haul like my Cummins does, especially over the Divide. Towing has become effortless.

I don't particularly care for my 3/4 for daily driving, but when used as a truck, it is just another world away from my half tons. I used to look at the numbers and thought I'd be fine with my half ton hauling our camper over hill and dale, but I would never go back at this point. If you don't tow much or plan to load up the bed, it's unnecessary.

If a truck camper is ever in your plans, definitely go 3/4 or more.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Who would argue Diesel versus gas for towing?Besides my RV pulling I owned semi's,everything from the 5 speed with the 4 gear brownie to the new 13 and 20 speed trannies.Hauled logs/lumber/grain/refers and equipment.

But that wasn't the question.A modern 1/2 ton is more than capable of putting a 4-wheeler in the back and hooking onto a rv trailer.I do it all the time....To say you need a 3/4 ton just for that,is rediculious.98 or 99% of the time is not loaded and not climbing grades.....

I certainly agree on a 3/4 ton for overhead campers,that's why ford had two F-250's...One was a regular 3/4 ton and the other a "Camper Special" made for hauling the heavy overhead campers with extra goodies that are required for a constant heavy/high/tippy load.

But that was never mentioned in the opps question...Just an atv in the back and a travel trailer which is an easy chore for a modern 1/2 ton.

Jayco

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Actually, he did mention having a truck camper in the past, which is why I addressed it in case he was thinking of another down the road. I'll also say it depends on the camper he's towing and how long he wants to get out go his truck. Personally, I don't like towing anywhere close to maxed out in the hills.

The thing is, a 3/4 will do everything a 1/2 ton will, but once you invest in a half ton, you can't "grow" it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There's allot of truth to that except that the 1/2 tons of today are the 3/4 tons of yesterday. My son owns a Chevy 4x4 2500 HD and I drive it often. It does not get the gas mileage I do nor does it ride the same plus it is lower to the ground. Hey, it's a good rig no doubt but unless I had a big overhead camper,I can do everything he can and cheaper. We both can fill the bed to the roof with firewood and haul a trailer that holds 3 chords of wood.

He can do nothing that I can't except that big ' ol camper on the back. Same horsepower and mine has more torque.I don't see the benefit these days of a 3/4 ton over a modern 1/2 ton other than about 10K new.

This is like the 270/30-06 debate. There are those that swear by the '06 and those that do everything with the 270 just fine except that big old heavy Brown Bear aka camper in truck talk.( laughing)

Jayco

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
.270 is better. wink

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by logcutter
...I don't see the benefit these days of a 3/4 ton over a modern 1/2 ton other than about 10K new...

The 3/4 ton has HD wheels, brakes, tires, axles, shocks, bearings..., important if you're hauling/towing close to max GVW.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
So you think Ford Motors is going to sell you an F-150 rated at 2690 lbs payload and towing 11,500 lbs backed by (warranty) just to fix stuff you don't think a 1/2 ton can handle?.... Think again, they changed allot of things including if you read,a 7 lug wheel and thicker frame........

These new F-150's are not the 1/2 tons of old.

Jayco

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not knocking your truck. Just pointing out reasons some have for buying heavy duty.

Learned to drive in a Model B pickup. Bought my first brand new truck in '69 (GMC Longhorn, big block). Owned lots of 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks, all 4x4's since '87. Done lots of towing from BC to BC (Baja California to Bella Coola, British Columbia).

Sometimes I needed a 3/4 ton truck. Now I am happy with my (small) '00 Tundra extra cab 4x4. It's only a 1/2 ton but is adequate for towing my 24' Silver Streak travel trailer.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
So,your an old timer also.... It's hard for some of us old goats to realize times have changed and that now a 1/2 ton is really a 3/4 ton compared to the old days as well as a good equipped 3/4 ton is equal to the old 1 tons or better.

Jayco

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had a5 8 Ford 1/2 T, 292 Engine as I recall, 4 speed,short box.Darn good little truck.
We needed to haul some horses from Albquerque up to the Peco Wilderness years aago so I hooked the truck to a 4 horse trailer. I had no brake controller for the trailer brakes and loaded up 4 horses.

I came down off of Glorieta Pass. Actuslly not much of a pass, but I needed to get of at the exit there. I ended cruising thru the stop sign, going across to the entrance and going back onto I25 with that load of horses pushing me. Then I got stopped in Pecos by the brand inspector and didn't have brand papers for the horses of which none were mine.
If it weren't for a bunch od boy scouts piling out of two cars behind me (reason I needed the horses). The brand inspector would have impounded the horses ,trailer, and truck,but he let me go.

I got a little smarter after thtt, (not much) ,but did get a 3/4 T Dodge equipped with a brake controller.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would put the longevity of my 2002 Ford 7.3 diesel up against a new 1/2 gas truck. In ten years my truck will be worth more and perform better. Buy a used diesel if you are not sure.

Last edited by ppine; 03/23/13.

George Santayana
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slide in camper + trailer = 3/4 ton for sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yup. Anyone who thinks a half ton is as capable as a diesel 3/4 ton clearly doesn't know what he's talking about. Granted, current half tons are far more capable than the older ones, but no way can they do the work of a diesel, neither will they last as long if you work them hard.

Torque, that's what moves things. Show me a gasser that makes 650 ft/lb stock, or over 1000 with minor tweaking. I pulled 7500lb on a trailer to Colorado from Georgia earlier this year, never had to come out of overdrive unless traffic slowed me down, and got 13 mpg at 70-75 mph doing it.

Last edited by badger; 03/24/13.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
comparing the '12 F150 crew cab to the 250, there's a 1000 lb difference in payloads. Its true that the 150 will haul a lot more than the older ones, but it's still not a Superduty.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In the 80's and 90's, the manufacturers started to lighten up the 3/4 tons. When ford went to 2 body styles they even made a non super duty F250. Today's half ton's are the equals to the 3/4 ton's of that era, but they are not equal to the 3/4 ton's of today.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Buy the 3/4 ton. When its time to sell its worth more to all the potential buyers who think a 1/2 ton is a "go to town" car.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pal
...I don't see the benefit these days of a 3/4 ton over a modern 1/2 ton other than about 10K new...

The 3/4 ton has HD wheels, brakes, tires, axles, shocks, bearings..., important if you're hauling/towing close to max GVW.

That pretty much hit the nail on the head. I have spent and spend a lot of time behind the wheel hauling horses around.

My own 1/2 ton of past, my present 3/4 ton. Friends new/old 1/2, 3/4, 1 tons.

Todays 1/2 tons are more then capable of hauling say a 20 foot steel goose neck, but get a horse or two moving around in back and you can be all over the place.

3/4 ton, you can feel them but you don't feel un-safe about it.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
5.9 cummins 2004-2007. I can get 20+mpgs not towing on 2006 cummins. Don't get the new 6.7s. New superdutys are getting good mpgs from what I hear. I won't own a half ton gas truck ever. Can't wait to to drive the new 1500 diesels.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Diesel might have better mpg but it costs more per gallon also

The f150 Eco boost is a 1/2 to that's made to pull

90% of the 420 pounds of torque is supposedly between 1700-5000 rpm

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by SAKO75
Diesel might have better mpg but it costs more per gallon also

"might" being the keyword here as far as mpg, because you have to look at how the truck is driven to get that better mpg. My gas truck gets as good of mpg (empty) as my last diesel.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by cal74
Originally Posted by pal

That pretty much hit the nail on the head. I have spent and spend a lot of time behind the wheel hauling horses around.

My own 1/2 ton of past, my present 3/4 ton. Friends new/old 1/2, 3/4, 1 tons.

Todays 1/2 tons are more then capable of hauling say a 20 foot steel goose neck, but get a horse or two moving around in back and you can be all over the place.

3/4 ton, you can feel them but you don't feel un-safe about it.

True. Heavier loads = heavier-duty truck

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
People seem to be willing to discount diesels because of the current price difference compared to gas. The spread in the West is 10 cents today. For many years diesel was cheaper than gas. It is likely to be cheaper than gas in the near future with the advent of more biofuels.

George Santayana
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
10 cents? Are you talking about the difference between gas & diesel? If so, the difference here is .70, not .10.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It's 30 to 40 here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
It's 30 to 40 here.

Same here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been driving pickups of my own, since 1970. No question that today's half tons are closer to the 3/4 ton trucks from back in that era and that today's 3/4 ton trucks are built for the purposes of hauling and pulling.

I drive half ton 4x4s because they can do what I want 'em to do: Pull a double axle trailer a few times per year, with either a tractor or two cords of wood on it - and haul me around the rest of the year. I have no real need for a 3/4 ton and resulting poorer fuel mileage.

What I mostly see in these parts, are guys riding around in diesel 3/4 ton pickups and never hauling anything other than their own kiesters. Which to me, is a waste of good money?

If someone actually needs a diesel 3/4 ton, then go for it. So far I haven't needed one.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That pretty well sums it up, and takes all the fun out of arguing about different trucks. grin

I used to need a heavy-duty diesel and now I don't --- I owned four of them over 23 years --- so I drive a Tundra.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Comparison of one, I know, but the half ton I borrowed for a couple of weeks while my Cummins was out of service used a lot more fuel, whether towing (9 mpg compared with 16) or running light (14.5 compared with 18-19 in town). Even with the increased cost of diesel, the 3/4 ton still makes sense to me, especially since it doesn't struggle to get out of its own way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Arguing about trucks (rifles, bullets, etc) will never go out of fashion.

Every clan reunion I've been to in the past 40 years, involves a minimum of an hour's haggle over trucks. More, if the wimmin didn't break it up prematurely and make us socialize with others and eat?

Two years ago, the highlight was one former owner of a fleet of Power Strokes, who'd gone back to gassers in his F250s. He'd run at least three diesel pickups (plow trucks/general use) and one stake body dump for many years, then came to hate diesels.

That was the year he showed up pulling his fifth wheel RV with a new 4x4 F250 w/V12 gasser and caused a commotion amongst the Power Strokers in our clan. Some still haven't forgiven him.

whistle

Still recall when Ford redesigned their pickups. One relative showed up with a new Ford and someone commented on the bed being too high to gather at comfortably.

So another cousin told him to throw some damn RR ties in the bed next year. The Ford owner wanted to know WTH for. So we told him "To stand on, so's we could place our arms on the bed rails while arguing, like you're supposed to". ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's 30 to 40 here.
A gas station across the street from my office has unleaded at 3.39 and diesel at 4.09. That's about average for the area right now.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will now reveal the correct answers to the upcoming exam. Take notes.

1. Yes, you really do need a 3/4 ton, you really do need 10 ply off-road tires, and you really do need 4 wheel drive.
2. If you can't do it with a .44 magnum, you can't do it period.
3. A 10-22 will cover 90% of what you REALLY need to do.
4. The ultimate 3 caliber battery is a .22, 5.56x45, and .30-06.
5. Order the ribeye.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
grinFinally!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fries or baked 'tater with that ribeye, be it medium rare or well done? Sour cream or butter on the baked 'tater?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you can get non ethanol gas in your area, that's what you should be running if you want your engine and components to last, and there isn't near as much difference in diesel and non ethanol gas...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dubePA
Fries or baked 'tater with that ribeye, be it medium rare or well done? Sour cream or butter on the baked 'tater?

Medium rare + 'tater + sour cream and butter of course!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've had a couple truck rolled in flower, over easy, but that is rare...

whistle

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Is the Ford F-150 really a 1/2 ton?

The F-150 continues its tradition of delivering best-in-class payload capability (3,120 lbs.) and 81.3 cubic feet of cargo box volume

Jayco grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best in class but the wrong class.
I prefer a one ton. Best for hauling things like a camper.
Up to 24 mpg. A long bed. An extra cab. And enough torque to pull anything legal.

Last edited by ppine; 04/30/13.

George Santayana
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ppine
Up to 24 mpg. A long bed. An extra cab. And enough torque to pull anything legal.

Ford 1Ton longbed, extra cab......up to 24mpg? In your dreams, or going downhill.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I towed a camper to Nevada with my Toyota and got 16 MPG ( Nine on the way down and seven on the way back frown
I have changed my mind about pulling a trailer with anything but a diesel if one is going to tow much. Coming back from the above mentioned Nevada trip, we were pulling into a strong wind, and trying to stay with traffic where the speed limit was 80 MPH. The Tundra is, in my estimation a hell of a puller, but that seemed to me to be asking too much of it. Since it looks like high winds are going to be a constant in the future and I am looking to do a lot of towing, I think I am going to a diesel, Ford probably or maybe Chevy.

Fred

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Royce
I towed a camper to Nevada with my Toyota and got 16 MPG ( Nine on the way down and seven on the way back frown

Fred

I thinks thats an average MPG of 8, not 16?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That's okay...I can confirm a 454 and a 460 gets 8 no matter what you do....

So I like the 19 when I am not pulling.

Jayco

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ackman

Ford 1Ton longbed, extra cab......up to 24mpg? In your dreams, or going downhill.

with a tail wind!

LOL!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Driving my 3/4 '07 5.9 Cummins empty in MN (60 mph) I've pushed mid 20's pretty easy (hand calculated).

Hauling 11-12k across MN going 70, about 14. East river 15 ish...

Hauling boat (small 16') and a four-wheeler in back 16-18 mpg

All hand caculated

This past weekend I loaded a Smarty JR, went with the lowest tune that apparently just adds timing and adds about 40 hp/80 ft/tq in the 1500-2000 rpm range.

Not a huge difference, but a difference nevertheless in that power range and woke the truck up. The over head lie-o-meter said about a 2-3 mpg gain. Would be happy to even pick up 1 mpg, but happy with the change in power.

Would like to try the 70 hp setting, but don't want to push my luck. Would LOVE to try EFI Live with a built goerend tranny but that's a few years down the road.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Slippery slope, my friend. My '03 dyno'd 502hp and 1060 ft/lb to the wheels after a few mods and a Garmon Performance Diesel transmission. When I dial it back to stock, it doesn't feel right. My "normal" setting is about 1/3 up from stock, guessing about 80-100 hp and 200 ft/lb over stock which makes it feel quite snappy. Hard to live with the stock setting anymore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was at Garmons a few weeks ago and he had a built Cummins on the dyno. I watched him smoke the tires on the rollers and hp peaked at 978. They later added weight over the wheels and chained the frame to ringbolts in the concrete and made about 1090, still smoking the tires. Some pretty stout daily drivers out there.............

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dat's just karazy!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have changed my mind about pulling a trailer with anything but a diesel if one is going to tow much. Coming back from the above mentioned Nevada trip, we were pulling into a strong wind, and trying to stay with traffic where the speed limit was 80 MPH. The Tundra is, in my estimation a hell of a puller, but that seemed to me to be asking too much of it. Since it looks like high winds are going to be a constant in the future and I am looking to do a lot of towing, I think I am going to a diesel, Ford probably or maybe Chevy.

Fred

What kind of mileage do you think you would get with the diesel you want, doing the same trip?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Fred

What kind of mileage do you think you would get with the diesel you want, doing the same trip?

I had a bone stock with highway tread tires '06 F250 6.0L and pulled a 24' combine header on a flatbed gooseneck @ 70MPH, into a ~25MPH headwind running the A/C and netted <6MPG. Clutch fan ran almost constantly and even W/TH button activated it hunted between 4th and 5th quite a bit.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That's the same truck (with 3.73s)I had. The least mpg I got with it was 10 towing 10,000# with a bad headwind at 65mph and the best was 18 empty with no wind at 70mph.

with the Tundra I get 8-9 towing 10,000# with a bad headwind, and I have gotten 18 empty with no headwind, but 16-17 is normal empty.
My point is that the Tundra isn't that much worse than the 6.0 Ford I had (under the same circumstances), but I don't tow all the time so I went with gas (cheaper). If I did I'd get another Dodge diesel, leave it stock and just go.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What does a Tundra weigh?

I thinking about the tail wagging the dog here.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It's around 6,100#. According to the sticker on the doorjamb the GVWR is 7,100#, but it goes on to say it's rated for 4,000# on the front axle and 4,150# on the rear axle.
I guess that means it's rated to carry 4,150# on the rear axle if you don't exceed 7,100 minus 4,150 (2,950#)on the front.
If memory serves me (and that is happening less all the time), the truck is rated to tow 10,000#, excepting that I have a 170# winch and mount on the front and I can carry 20 gallons more fuel than stock. Point being, it's not for hauling alot of weight like a 3/4 ton, just to tow it.

Again going by memory, my '06 F-250 diesel weighed right around 7,000# and had a GVWR of 10,000.

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 05/03/13.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With the axle weights, either axle will carry the rated weight but not both at the same time. You can't exceed the gross vehicle weight. The higher single axle weights allow you to load up to the GVWR without having to carefully weigh each axle to get the balance. Accessories, like winches, fuel, and passengers, are considered to be part of the cargo weight. They build in a margin of error, too. I've seen trucks that are grossly overloaded without falling apart but that's not saying I'd want to be driving them. When you see a 3/4 with a dragging rear bumper, you can assume its a tad overloaded.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks for a good clarification of what I was saying.

Attitudes like "My truck can haul over its rated capacity because I have overload springs" and "My truck will haul anything I can put on it" are not conducive to happy trips down the road.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by badger
Was at Garmons a few weeks ago and he had a built Cummins on the dyno. I watched him smoke the tires on the rollers and hp peaked at 978. They later added weight over the wheels and chained the frame to ringbolts in the concrete and made about 1090, still smoking the tires. Some pretty stout daily drivers out there.............

With nitrous? Was it their white race truck?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Overload springs only boost the capacity of the springs. They have no affect on bearings, U-joints, lug bolts, frame, etc. Somewhere there is a critical item that will fail 1st.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Exactly. This always reminds me of an ex relative who only bought 1/2 ton GM pickups because they rode so nicely, then put overloads on them and hauled an 8' camper that the truck was not rated to carry. He never burned anything up, but only because he was lucky.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ackman
Originally Posted by badger

With nitrous? Was it their white race truck?

Customer's truck. Was white with pink smile graphics on it. Jeff's new personal daily is a 2012 1500 regular cab with a honking 6.7 in it. He was still breaking it in when I was there. I'm guessing that's going to be a fun ride too.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks for a good clarification of what I was saying.

Attitudes like "My truck can haul over its rated capacity because I have overload springs" and "My truck will haul anything I can put on it" are not conducive to happy trips down the road.

Guys that say things like that have likely never had their pickup across the scales, and have no idea what weight they 'actually' have.

Sort of like measuring bears by weight. There's an old saying that the heaviest bears are always shot the farthest from a scale.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It's around 6,100#.

I think my F250 weighs around 8800. It can pull my popup camper far more easily than my 3200 lb Taco. If I get the Taco above say 60 mph, I can feel the tail wag the dog. The F250 could spin the wheels off the popup and never know it.

To me, the critical elements in towing, are tow vehicle stability and being able to stop.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've seen some light weight pickups pulling some trailers that are nothing but scary. Then add poor or non-existant trailer brakes and you have an accident waiting to happen.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Working brakes on a trailer are critical to me. It doesn't matter if you can tow a trailer down the road at 70 mph if you can't safely stop it. I've long been a believer in good trailer brakes.
That was one thing that sold me on the Tundra, too---they have big brakes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho requires brakes on all trailers over 1500lb. Most states say 2000. I have a utility trailer that will gross about 2 tons. When I pull it with my Bronco II, I definitely appreciate the brakes. I usually use my pickup, though, if I have any load at all on it.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm not sure if it's the same today, but Washington used to require brakes on (all axles of) trailers over 2,500# or 40% of the weight of the towing vehicle.

I've got a 3,500#GVW single axle trailer that I spec-ed out with brakes when I bought it. With much weight at all on it--- and when towing it with my Tacoma--- brakes are a must-have, even with the trailer grossing under 2,500#. I've towed it with the Tacoma when it weighed 3,480# and it was something I wouldn't knowingly do even once without brakes.

I've put 150,000 miles on the Tacoma and the brakes still don't need attention, but I doubt that would be the case if I towed much weight with it very often. Brakes are better than horsepower when towing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I built this one. It weighs 1100 empty. The tires, axles & springs are rated at 2k/axle so I can put just under 3k on it & stay within the ratings. I've had 3k on it and can honestly say that you wouldn't want to pull it without brakes.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scoff all you want. I have an old 7.3 with a few modifications. I added 100 hp and upped the mileage from 21 to 24 mpg. That is running empty on flat country with the auto speed control on.

George Santayana
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I pulled a 40ft older mobile home with my old 76 F-250 with a hopped up 390 many places for work.My newer F-150 beats it in horsepower/torque and equals it in cargo weight and towing.

The new F-150 is better than the old F-250 towing over 11000 pounds and payloads over 3000 pounds, all under Ford warranty.

Some need to get over the old 1/2 tons I would never have owned.

Jayco

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Scoff all you want. I have an old 7.3 with a few modifications. I added 100 hp and upped the mileage from 21 to 24 mpg. That is running empty on flat country with the auto speed control on.

Your other post implied you got 24 while hauling.

Is that your assertion or not?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nice looking trailer. Is it 6' wide? 6'x10'? I like the tandem axles as opposed to a single. That gives you less chance of an accident if you blow one tire.

The color may be off on my computer (they look yellow), but is that pumpkins in the boxes in the back...?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Up to 24 mpg", means that is the upper limit with everything going in my favor. Certainly not hauling anything. My neighbor gets 26 mpg empty in his 3/4 ton Dodge with the 5.9 and a manual trans.

George Santayana
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice looking trailer. Is it 6' wide? 6'x10'? I like the tandem axles as opposed to a single. That gives you less chance of an accident if you blow one tire.

The color may be off on my computer (they look yellow), but is that pumpkins in the boxes in the back...?
Yeah, 6x10. I used tandem 12" wheels so I could avoid wheel well while getting them to track with my pickup and keeping the bed low. I should have gone with 13" wheels, though. They hold up better and aren't enough taller to make any practical difference. Tandem axles also ride MUCH smoother than singles. They make a bump only half a bump.

Yes, those are pumpkins. I used to work in R&D for a seed company. One of our research crops was pumpkins. I had the trailer at work for hauling the pumpkins out of the field.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I am another Tundra convert. After owning two Dodge Diesels, I decided to switch. I actually had a 2002 Dodge and 2004 Tundra at the same time. Got the newer gen Tundra in 08.

To me, the current Tundra is an extra rear leaf pack away from a 3/4 ton truck. The engine, transmission, axles, and brakes are are 3/4 ton worthy. I regularly tow around a 4500lb boat, and this is a cake walk in the Tundra, even in the mountains up and down mountain passes. I also slog around the family and commute with it, so efficiency is important too. I normally do 14-15 mpg in my commute that is maybe 70% city/30% hwy. I get about 12-13 towing the boat, and between 17 and 20mpg on the highway, unloaded, depending on speed.

If I regularly towed more weight, like 7k lbs plus, I'd go back to a diesel, but for me it works. I pulled an 8500 lb trailer full of rocks once, and the Tundra did fine but was starting to feel a bit strained IMO. I did put L/T tires on it, as I was pushing bed loads in the 1800 lb range on occasion, and this was destroying the P rated tires. Problem solved.

I have not read through the whole thread, but if your situation is similar to mine, check out a Tundra.

Last edited by sigguy; 05/12/13.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For 2013, The Tundra double cab is rated for 1455 lb. The Dodge diesel crew cab 2500 is rated for 2934 lb. The Tundra's towing capacity is 9700 while the Dodge is rated at 16750.
There's no possible way that the 1/2 ton Tundra is close to the 3/4 ton Dodge for capacity. If you don't haul a big load, the Tundra is an excellent truck but if you need the capacity, there are much better choices. You need a truck rated to do the job you need done.

Don't forget that when towing, passengers, fuel, and the tongue weight are all part of the load weight. If you max out the payload then hang on a trailer with a 300 lb tongue weight, you're overloaded. 2 big guys, a full tank, and 2 ATV's will be over 1400lb. That doesn't leave room for a big camper.

TUNDRA CAPACITIES

RAM CAPACITIES

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
And it appears the new Ford F-150 has a higher payload capacity than the Dodge 3/4 ton diesel.... laugh

The F-150 continues its tradition of delivering best-in-class payload capability (3,120 lbs.) and 81.3 cubic feet of cargo box volume

No question a 3/4 ton is a better hauler in most cases where a guy hauls most of the time but for casual use hunting/fishing and whatever, the new F-150's exceed the old 3/4 tons hands down and even some of the new 3/4 tons in payload capacity with a Ford factory warranty to back it up.

Jayco

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The majority of pickup buyers have no need for that kind of capacity. Ford is apparently considering resurrecting the old F100 name. If they do, it'll be to hit the market for those who want a pickup but don't need a 3/4 ton capacity 150. There are millions of truck owners who never haul more than a lawn mower and a sack of fertilizer.

RETURN OF THE F100

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I agree completely.

If I were in the situation you describe, a 3/4 or 1 ton would fit the bill. I wouldn't put any camper in a 1/2 ton, period.

I believe that many folks who get big 3/4 ton diesels seldom need that capacity. If you can get by with "only" a 10K towing capacity, and most often tow less, the Tundra can be much more efficient.

The Tundra IMO has many components that are 3/4 ton sized, and are understressed for 1/2 ton duty.

I love turbo diesels, and have owned Dodge and VW diesels. I wish diesel cost less, and sometimes I miss the old Cummins. But after owning many trucks over the last 30 years or so, I have been very satisfied with the tradeoff the Tundra offers.

If you regularly tow under 6-7K lbs, and do not need a 3K lb payload, a good 1/2 ton can be just the ticket. That being said, if Toyota offered a 3/4 ton Tundra, especially a turbo diesel, I'd be first in line! grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Toyota dealer told me that they'd researched building both a 3/4 and a diesel but dropped them to concentrate on the lighter weight market. Try to find one with 4 doors and a long bed. We found one but they're hard to come by. We seriously considered it but the weight capacity was just too light for our needs.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Try to find one with 4 doors and a long bed. We found one but they're hard to come by.

That's what my 2010 Tundra is! Does what I need a PU to do.

220 Swift still king.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Try to find one with 4 doors and a long bed. We found one but they're hard to come by.

A regular cab with the long bed, 4X4, and 5.7 engine is even tougher to find. I found one but it took awhile.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An American 3/4 or 1 ton diesel gets better mileage and will out live any 1/2 truck ever made. If you use a truck like a truck, it is a very easy decision. I like to support American industry and drive a Ford, not a rice burner.

Last edited by ppine; 05/16/13.

George Santayana
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
An American 3/4 or 1 ton diesel gets better mileage and will out live any 1/2 truck ever made. If you use a truck like a truck, it is a very easy decision. I like to support American industry and drive a Ford, not a rice burner.

That's about the most intelligent post I've ever read tired

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tundras are built in the US. My Dodge was made in Mexico. All makes use so many imported parts that it's impossible to say they were made in any specific country.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ajmorell,
thanks. The wonders never cease.

RockChuck,
Who stands to make a profit? A Jap company or an American one? You are either part of the answer or part of the problem no matter how you rationalize it. My Ford was built in Kentucky.

George Santayana
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
ajmorell,
thanks. The wonders never cease.

....I was being sarcastic

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The stockholders make the profit. Toyota stock is traded on the NYSE just like Chrysler's or Ford's.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So was I.

We have a severe balance of payments deficit. We export raw materials and import finished goods. It matters which companies benefit, not just who is on the NYSE.

Last edited by ppine; 05/17/13.

George Santayana
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The stockholders make the profit. Toyota stock is traded on the NYSE just like Chrysler's or Ford's.

toyota is a Japanese company. Their headquarters is in Japan. Where does the money go? Easy answer. Japan.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR

toyota is a Japanese company. Their headquarters is in Japan. Where does the money go? Easy answer. Japan.

Exactly. Japanese companies don't put up factories over here to build cars in this country, so America will make money.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you.
People speak with their wallets even more than they do with their votes. Every time you buy something you have the potential to benefit your local economy and American companies rather than the Asians. I can't figure out why this is a such a foreign concept to so many people.

George Santayana
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I can see that it goes right over your head.

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 05/21/13.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Piss off. I have been driving American trucks for 40 years.

Last edited by ppine; 05/27/13.

George Santayana
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Define American trucks.

220 Swift still king.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

For reference

2012 article

NHTSA

If you don't care for the NHTSA, another source but not sure about the accuracy. For instance, quite a few Ram and GM fullsize are assembled in Mexico yet it reads US produced. Same for parts, engines, trannys, etc.

Kogod

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by thin_man

For reference

2012 article

NHTSA

If you don't care for the NHTSA, another source but not sure about the accuracy. For instance, quite a few Ram and GM fullsize are assembled in Mexico yet it reads US produced. Same for parts, engines, trannys, etc.

Kogod

There's 2 ways of looking at "American Made"

1-Manufactured and assembled in the US, I don't think there is a new truck out there that is 100% American made in this regard

2-Made by an American company who sees the profits on said vehicle upon it's sale.

I think ppine is talking about the latter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ford, Chevrolet or Dodge Ram. Jeep.

I agree with Thin Man.

Last edited by ppine; 05/29/13.

George Santayana
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ajmorell
Originally Posted by thin_man

For reference

2012 article

NHTSA

Kogod

There's 2 ways of looking at "American Made"

1-Manufactured and assembled in the US, I don't think there is a new truck out there that is 100% American made in this regard

2-Made by an American company who sees the profits on said vehicle upon it's sale.

I think ppine is talking about the latter.

Agreed, but I think Swift was alluding towards the former. I currently comply with both which is owning a Ford.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Feel good ford guys crack me up. mtmuley

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
the "heartbeat of America" crowd cracks me up.

Trust me, if I could feel good about a GM product, I would.
But I guess we're all allowed to have different views based on experiences and expectations. No harm in that.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I've got you beat, so that must mean I can tell you to go [bleep] off; but I won't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not hearing great things about the '08 and on Fords. Not sure why, but $19 000.00 engine swops are becoming pretty popular, many with less than 150-200k miles. Lots of theories being floated, including oil contamination from EGR, but the main complaint being bearing failure, usually with very expensive sounding knocking noises. Good friend of mine whose been a Ford guy all his life is rethinking things, after having had a 6.0 blow up on him, and now his '08 with 170k miles do the same. He's been changing oil every 5k miles. He loved his 7.3's, and even the V10's he had were reliable.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (Amos63, 7887mm08, 35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,515
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.