Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been after Brownells special orders department to see if they could get me a set of S&K bases for my Stiller Predator. They've been so busy that they just haven't been able to get around to it. I understand that and I'm happy as hell that Brownells is swamped with orders.
Well I called S&K directly yesterday and they returned my call this morning.
They have the bases I need in stock but the retail price listed on the website is much higher than Brownells dealer price. The lady at S&K said they would be happy to sell me the bases and 30mm rings for the Brownells dealer price.
They are on the way now directly from S&K.
Just wanted to recognize the great CS there at S&K.

I can easily see the day when all my rifles wear S&K's.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
GB1

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dammit, you're the guy who got me hooked on S&K, you dog!

Glad they hooked you up. I really like them a bunch.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It is certainly hard to go back to something else once you've tried the S&K's.
Talley LW's are nice but even at twice the price the S&K's are a better alternative IMO.

Supermodel looks, Hercules strength, Swiss Army knife versatility, Forrest Gump simplicity, and light weight to boot.

Last edited by nsaqam; 03/16/13.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
How do the S&K rings and bases compare to the EAW pivot and claw-type mounts?

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Never used the EAW products but from looking at their website I can say that even if S&K's are not tougher they are assuredly much more elegant.

Like many German products those EAW mounts sure seem to be very high quality.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What kind of steel is used in S&K's and what kind of finish?

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not sure of the exact steel spec but they say virgin bar stock is used and machined in PA.
They can be had in matte blue, polished blue for $4 extra, and stainless for 2x the price of matte blue.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Best mounts out there.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S & K seems to be run by good folks too.

I had a question for them regarding an oddball rifle, and I could not have asked for better customer service.

Their website HERE isn't bad, but they seem to have a lot more options than listed there (the web page does not seem to have been updated in a long while).

So, send them an email if they initially may appear to not have a mount for your gun -- they might still be able to help you.

John

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
Best mounts out there.

Agreed.

For non-tactical type mounts anyway.

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The owner installed a scope on my Sako Finnwolf in his office while talked firearms and hunting. Best customer experience srom a manufacturer I've had

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Have 3 sets of these in stainless,best mounts Ive owned. Well made, lightweight and look awesome!!

The last set I ordered I was unluckey that the inside of one of the rings hadnt been machined properly and my scope was moving within the rings under recoil.

I contacted S&K about this and without hesitation they offered to send me a new set of rings at no cost to me. They didnt even ask for the old ones back.

Fantastic customer service that is so much appreciated when you live on the other side of the planet in New Zealand....

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
S&K is run by GREAT people that are "common" folk. I live about 30 miles from there and have stopped in a couple of times with special requests and they have ALWAYS taken time to help me out. I just found out today that they make a really cool set up for CZ 450 series rifles and will order a pair tomorrow!

Can't say enough good things about this company!

PennDog

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Don't know if I've ever heard a bad word about S&K.

Well, except from Conetrol! grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Another vote for S&K customer service, on my fourthe set. The polished blue really look good on a high gloss blue vintage rifle. Every time I change scope on a gun going forward, it will get S&K's. This gun wears stainless:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cruiser1; 03/18/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yep - my new favorite mounts. Each time I find a favorite mount a new one comes along to change my mind. Weavers, to Burris Signatures, to Talley Lightweights, to S and K. Next ones will have to be magnetic or invisible to make me change from S and K'.

A question purely based on tastes but anyone else prefer black rings for black scopes - even on a stainless rig?

Cruiser - that does not mean I don't dig that rig of yours. Pretty sweet!

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am a dyed in the wool Burris Signature ring user partially because the inserts 100% eliminate ring marks. I am tempted to go with the S&K setup on a Kimber 84L due to the better looks and weight. My question is do the S&K rings require lapping to avoid ring marks? Never lapped any rings before and am a little hesitant.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
strosfann I asked the same thing before I got mine and was told no to lapping. The metal band is super thin so not much there to lap. I suppose I could have run them over the bar without compound but I didn't see any need.

If you get them just know you got to squeeze them together tightly in order to get the feet into the mounts. I am sure I won't be so timid on my next set. They are pretty snug even before tightening the set screws- and when you do tighten the set screws try to get each side even. Evidently these are windage adjustable?? Maybe I am just a bad mounter, it seemed like tightening the screws just cinched the rings around the scope and didn't shift it. I guess some long range shooting might tell me differently.

Nsagam- that gave me a chuckle!

Last edited by kenjs1; 03/18/13.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I never lapped the set I had, and never had ring marks from them. They have more of a squeezing effect than a clamping effect, so not so likely to dig in.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kenjs1
yep - my new favorite mounts. Each time I find a favorite mount a new one comes along to change my mind. Weavers, to Burris Signatures, to Talley Lightweights, to S and K. Next ones will have to be magnetic or invisible to make me change from S and K'.

A question purely based on tastes but anyone else prefer black rings for black scopes - even on a stainless rig?

Cruiser - that does not mean I don't dig that rig of yours. Pretty sweet!

I like three different systems... Leupy DD, Talley LW, and S&K, but the true test will be when I try to mount a Zeiss in S&Ks... I am a horrible stock crawler and I can't make Talleys work with a Conquest.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,175
Posts18,484,652
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.