Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My FFL won't accept handgun shipments from a non FFL due to the possible hassle facotr if gun is stolen, and MI has some screwed up regs as well when it comes to handguns.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The store I work in accepts from non-FFL's all the time, I'd like to know what the hassle is. Takes about 15 minutes of our time. First we run a check on the serial # thru TICS, put the gun in the log book, notify the customer that their weapon is here, they come in do a form 4473, (background check), charge them $25 for the transfer & $10 for the background check. $25.00 is pretty good money for 15 min. work. And nobody complains about the fees.

JohnP
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by frogman43
My FFL won't accept handgun shipments from a non FFL due to the possible hassle facotr if gun is stolen, and MI has some screwed up regs as well when it comes to handguns.

What regs make it harder in MI?

Ryan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by johnp034
The store I work in accepts from non-FFL's all the time, I'd like to know what the hassle is. Takes about 15 minutes of our time. First we run a check on the serial # thru TICS, put the gun in the log book, notify the customer that their weapon is here, they come in do a form 4473, (background check), charge them $25 for the transfer & $10 for the background check. $25.00 is pretty good money for 15 min. work. And nobody complains about the fees.
Ignorance, stupidity, and perceived liability are the "hassles."

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by acloco
FFL's think...receiving from an invidual, might open them up to receiving a stolen firearm. Even if the firearm received was stolen, the FFL is not on the hook for it.....IF...they call the transfer in to the ATF.

Makes no sense whatsoever.

I had an FFL in a previous life for about 20 years. Knowledge comes with the license in the form of a book but you have to read it. If a seller includes a copy of his drivers license with the firearm then your FFL can enter it in his book and out of the book to the end buyer. Oh yeah - the ATF does NOT do "call in transfers" - read the book and learn something instead of spreading or making up internet lore. As far as "stolen firearms" the FFL is NOT on the hook as if it dropped from the sky - get the proper ID so the chain can be followed in the case something turns up stolen down the road.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"10 min later I walk back into this place and ask the manager which has been a really good guy in times past about it and he say's oh yeah come on back here and we will get it took care of right away. He ask who told me they wouldn't accept from an individual and made the same guy do the transfer and they both apoligized to me several times."

Love it! It is admirable to me that the manager didn't just do the transaction himself, but hauled in the guy that was misinforomed and had him do the transaction. He received an education that day.

"I will remain what I am until the day I die- A HUNTER"......Sitting Bull
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think a lot of it depends on your relationship with the FFL holder.I purchase frequently from my local dealer.When I mail a gun he always charges $25.00 even if its insured for over $1000.00 he charges me $25.00.I can also get a firearm shipped to him from an individual $25.00 transfer fee.If you purchase very little from the shop and only want to use them as your shipping agent I could understand them telling you to GFY.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Some dealers just want a sale to go through them and will make it a hassle to do otherwise. Its best to find a home based ffl or someone who does a small business on the side. They will be glad to help you.

Once when looking for a transfer dealer, one here in MI said they charge $45 + state sales tax on the purchase price, no matter where or who it came from. What a crock. That is half the reason to buy a gun out of state.

Last edited by KenMi; 03/19/13.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Why? Most ffl holders dont understand the laws.

Very true. I've heard some amazing b.s. spread by guns shop owners and employees. The sad part is that so many of their customers believe it then spread the misinformation. They're no IQ test or even firearms law test required to obtain an FFL.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Given the long history of erratic behavior by the BATFE, I have no trouble understanding why some FFL holders can be paranoid about the system. There is no such thing as a simple straight forward and up-to-date checklist of requirements. Simultaneously many states are working hard to complicate things. The environment ain't real friendly.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 78CJ
Originally Posted by frogman43

What regs make it harder in MI?

Ryan

In Michigan it is good advise to transfer threw a FFL when selling a handgun out of state. Handguns are registered in your name and having a FFL do the transfer takes it out of your name into the FFL's book. The extra $10-$25 you pay them will be off set by them shipping USPS flat rate and not having to ship FedEX.

I shipped a pistol to Alaska FedEX wanted $75.20, USPS medium flat rate insured for $1000 under $25. Payed my FFL $15 and drove him to the P.O.

Part of the reason FFL's don't want to do transfers from out of state individuals. People are not sending a copy of there drivers license. They cannot log in that gun without a FFL or Drivers License.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Given the long history of erratic behavior by the BATFE, I have no trouble understanding why some FFL holders can be paranoid about the system. There is no such thing as a simple straight forward and up-to-date checklist of requirements. Simultaneously many states are working hard to complicate things. The environment ain't real friendly.

Bingo!!!

A local guy here just got his FFL and opened a pawn shop.He is a nice guy and the brother of a friend of mine.I've stopped in, bought a few pawn shop items,and talked guns with him often.I asked him about receiving from an individual.At first he said no problem.Then being a new FFL he called his local fed guy(ATF or whatever,I don't know,but I was there)to make sure he was correct and had everything in order as to what he should do.His guy told him not to receive from an individual.

We talked about it and he said he thought it was perfectly legal but he didn't need any hassel from his guy.He told me that at one time the fed had pointed to a passage in that book of rules and asked if he knew exactly what that ment.He then told the new FFL that said passage ment that the law was whatever he said it was.Apparently he only said it to intimidate the new FFL.

I only started this thread to make sellers aware of the difficulty in the hope that some will decide to change their mind and ship through an FFL if the buyer covers all extra expense.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 03/19/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Bingo!!!

A local guy here just got his FFL and opened a pawn shop.He is a nice guy and the brother of a friend of mine.I've stopped in, bought a few pawn shop items,and talked guns with him often.I asked him about receiving from an individual.At first he said no problem.Then being a new FFL he called his local fed guy(ATF or whatever,I don't know,but I was there)to make sure he was correct and had everything in order as to what he should do.His guy told him not to receive from an individual.

We talked about it and he said he thought it was perfectly legal but he didn't need any hassel from his guy.He told me that at one time the fed had pointed to a passage in that book of rules and asked if he knew exactly what that ment.He then told the new FFL that said passage ment that the law was whatever he said it was.Apparently he only said it to intimidate the new FFL.
His "local fed guy" cannot render a legally binding determination and a f*cking telephone call sure as [bleep] doesn't qualify as that. If your little pawn shop buddy needs to get a detailed answer on BATFE letterhead, he needs to confine all of his queries in writing to the BATFE's LEGAL department.

Federal Firearms Licensing Center
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, WV 25405-9431

I only started this thread to make sellers aware of the difficulty in the hope that some will decide to change their mind and ship through an FFL if the buyer covers all extra expense.
The seller isn't responsible for appeasing your choice of FFL holders. Even if you're willing to "cover extra expense" that doesn't address the seller's additional hassle and bullshit of going through an FFL holder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like somebody at ATF needs to be brought up on abuse of power charges. The next time we have a Repub in the White House (if that ever happens again), the ATF needs a house cleaning from top to bottom. On the firearms front, the ATF's harassment and strong-arm tactics should be focused on going after straw purchasers and those few gun shops that cater to straw purchasers. On the other side of the coin, the ATF should be doing everything possible to assist those who are trying to obey the laws to do business as efficiently as possible instead of harassing those people who are doing their best to comply with applicable laws and regulations.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Sounds like somebody at ATF needs to be brought up on abuse of power charges. The next time we have a Repub in the White House (if that ever happens again), the ATF needs a house cleaning from top to bottom. On the firearms front, the ATF's harassment and strong-arm tactics should be focused on going after straw purchasers and those few gun shops that cater to straw purchasers. On the other side of the coin, the ATF should be doing everything possible to assist those who are trying to obey the laws to do business as efficiently as possible instead of harassing those people who are doing their best to comply with applicable laws and regulations.
The BATFE is less of a problem than the morons who've received FFLs and want to make up rules and blame their own stupidity on someone else.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Bingo!!!

His "local fed guy" cannot render a legally binding determination and a f*cking telephone call sure as [bleep] doesn't qualify as that. If your little pawn shop buddy needs to get a detailed answer on BATFE letterhead, he needs to confine all of his queries in writing to the BATFE's LEGAL department.

244 Needy Road

I was pissed too but my pawn shop FFL told me that being a new FFL holder and a new business he just couldn't afford the hassel.I will pass along the address but I doubt he will have the courage to do anything other than what he was told.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bingo!!!

244 Needy Road
I was pissed too but my pawn shop FFL told me that being a new FFL holder and a new business he just couldn't afford the hassel.I will pass along the address but I doubt he will have the courage to do anything other than what he was told.
He couldn't afford to write a f*cking letter? F*ck him.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mr. Clark,

You might want to explain to your friend that doing what the "local fed" tells him could get him in a lot of trouble when there is a new "local fed" doing the compliance inspections who has a different interpretation than the old "local fed" had. If your friend has any questions, he needs to get guidance in writing from the source of official guidance, like Bricktop said. Ultimately the "local fed" can't go against what the source of official guidance puts in writing.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want a gun shipped through a ffl up here it costs 30- 60 bucks from dealers... Anyhow I will do it but buyer will pay the ffl fee... I sold a rifle to a fella in Wisconsin after everything was done I was told his dealer needed me to get an ffl so I ate the 25 dollar fee for that one and it was a lesson learned for sure.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[bleep], I had and FFL that wouldn't ship a rifle to my FFL in Alaska, because they wouldn't ship a gun out of the country.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,781
Posts18,515,744
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.