Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I will be hunting unit 150 in the BOB in 2014 . The outfitter said that they never heard a wolf in there area until the end of this past season . Very honest people as I have been talking to them for a couple years now . They told me that they are concerned for the future in there area .
The question that I have is how many years does it take for the wolves have an impact on the elk and mule deer in the area ?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There's been wolves in that area for quite a while, it's very doubtful they'll alter the elk hunting in that unit in the next 20 months.

Not saying this is what's going on with this guy, but a lot of locals use wolves for a fallback on why they weren't successful.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What part of 150 are you planning on hunting?

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
With $50 non-resident tags one would hope they won't be much of a problem. Wolves seem to be a much bigger deal on the internet though. wink

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not much to worry about. Just make sure you have a wolf tag in your pocket. mtmuley

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I will be hunting with Cheff Guest Ranch Outfitters
If anybody on this thread has hunted or know anybody that hunted with them please let me know how it was . Thanks!

There will be a tag in my pocket for sure !

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Do you know where they guide out of. I have hunted 150 quite a lot over the last few years.

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
It would be the lower half of 150 on the eastern side . They have a camp that hunts the southern part and one on the south east part towards the continental divide . It's a 28 mile horse ride in . We will camp along the river and hunt from horses everyday .

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bgbuck153
It's a 28 mile horse ride in . We will camp along the river and hunt from horses everyday .

That hurts just thinking about it.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Seems like the Cheffs were here to greet Lewis and Clark.

They should definitely know that country pretty well.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My friend that I visit in huson grew up with buds grand boys. He used to help them a lot during his college years and sometimes now for fun. It is a 20-30 mile ride to their camp we was there in 2010. Awesome country to ride. The friend of mine speaks highly of their outfit. I don't know about the wolves but did see a momma Griz and her cub prolly 10 miles or so from their camp.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
bgbuck153-you might wish to consider applying for a mountain goat in that unit as well. Tough to draw a tag but you may as well try if you can.

Just a thunk.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark, where the goats are is a little farther South than Cheff's concession I do believe. Last I knew it was Bullseye Outfitters that ran that part of the Scapegoat.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rl11

Not saying this is what's going on with this guy, but a lot of locals use wolves for a fallback on why they weren't successful.

That's no [bleep]... Gun hunting the rut would never impact their numbers.

I don't think I've seen a bull over 300 come out of the two Backcountry Rifle districts in the last 10 years.

Gorgeous country though. I absolutely love it in there. The memories I have of packing into the Dannaher with Grampa Al and Shorty are some of the best.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I hunted with the Rich Ranch out of Seeley Lake in the Bob this October. We had three days in the snow and covered a lot of ground. I saw one wolf track and never heard one. I saw lots of elk and shot a nice 6X7.

I also saw one set of mountain lion tracks and a ton of grizzly sign.

TANSTAAFL
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Crowkiller , what part of the season did you hunt ? We are strongly considering the last hunt towards the middle of Nov.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We hunted the last week of September and the first week of October. The season runs a little differently in the back country if I remember right. The regs are about impossible to read if you don't really know the area!

The Rich Ranch hunts the back country until the second week in October, then around Seeley Lake later in the season. I think it just gets too brutal for most pilgrims later in the season in the Bob.

TANSTAAFL
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Crowkiller
We hunted the last week of September and the first week of October. The season runs a little differently in the back country if I remember right. The regs are about impossible to read if you don't really know the area!

The Rich Ranch hunts the back country until the second week in October, then around Seeley Lake later in the season. I think it just gets too brutal for most pilgrims later in the season in the Bob.

What sort of weather did you guys have then? I did a loop hike last July from Holland Lake to Upper Holland, north to Lena Lake and back west by the Necklace Lakes and down to Holland. I was amazed how much that area reminded me of western N. Carolina, with its lush ferns and flora. I saw blueberry bushes on the trail up to Lena Lake that were 10ft tall. When you get over on the other side of the Divide, it looks totally different, like "Montana" or what an easterner thinks of as Montana.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We rode in on a 65 degree day, got a foot of snow on day 5, and rode out on a day that started at 7 degrees. I hunted in shirtsleeves in the beginning, then piled on layers later. It got cool or cold every night though.

TANSTAAFL
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I recommend the Cheffs and have hunted with them 4 times. I will go back.
This cou try is big and beautiful and you should be in good shape.
We hunted the first 10 days of November on two trips then hunted their last hunt on the other two trips. Take riding lessons before you go!
They have good stock and the family does know the area.
The weather can change quickly and usually does so
Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

261 members (01Foreman400, 338reddog, 160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 22 invisible), 1,796 guests, and 926 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,628
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.