Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
rc', you should go to MM and read the SFW thread in the WY forum.

We'll save you yet.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by smokepole
They offered "any help that we would need" for those exclosures in a multi-entity meeting. However, they got real quiet when asked if they would sign an agreement to pay for and do the work on those exclosures.

That reminds me of a project I participated in as an RMEF volunteer. We put up fences to keep people out of a sensitive riparian area that was also critical winter range for deer and elk. It was being torn up, creek banks eroded, etc. by riders. The DOW and Boulder County Open Space also participated.

We heard from the DOW that they had set up trail cams to try and catch the people who were riding right by the "Keep Out" signs before we put the fences up. Turns out the worst offenders were not those nasty 4-wheelers, but (drum roll please) mountain bikers.

Probably transported to the site on Subaru Forrester roof racks with "Defenders" bumper stickers. Didn't see any defenders on the work crew though.
I had a conversation with the manager of Red Canyon Ranch, which is a TNC property managed for biodiversity and still grazes cattle. He related to me a picture taken from the ranch was included in the coffee table book 'Welfare Ranching' as evidence of cattle impacts on riparian areas. He said the real funny part, is that the cattle hadn't been in that pasture for over 2 years and what they had taken a picture of was a public access fishing site!

Not keeping up much on this pointer, but what page?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Separating the wheat from the chaff is not a problem for me.

Anyone can find proponents for their point of view anywhere on the www

My motto is just like TR's. "Make sure you're right, then go ahead". You all will benefit from the work of those committed to what is right by hunting more abundant game.

But it will take you forever to understand why.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
4100fps Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

My motto is just like TR's. "Make sure you're right, then go ahead". You all will benefit from the work of those committed to what is right by hunting more abundant game.

You have some serious problems dude. What have you been "RIGHT" about? The wolf, lion tracks? Maybe the fact that SFW/BGF tried to derail the Tester/Simpson rider? The fact that Peay claimed he was speaking for SCI, RMEF, NRA and others and got told to stand down? What exactly are you referring too? How delusional you are? Yep!

I wanted to take a scalp, but the kill was not mine.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What have you been "RIGHT" about?

Let's see.

1. You started this thread by embracing a wacko Left Wing group's opinion

2. Wolves have devastated deer and elk populations

3. When you're not humping bob ferris' leg or a wolf, you're being blown out of one's sphincter at 4100fps.

smile

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtmiller
Originally Posted by smokepole
They offered "any help that we would need" for those exclosures in a multi-entity meeting. However, they got real quiet when asked if they would sign an agreement to pay for and do the work on those exclosures.

That reminds me of a project I participated in as an RMEF volunteer. We put up fences to keep people out of a sensitive riparian area that was also critical winter range for deer and elk. It was being torn up, creek banks eroded, etc. by riders. The DOW and Boulder County Open Space also participated.

We heard from the DOW that they had set up trail cams to try and catch the people who were riding right by the "Keep Out" signs before we put the fences up. Turns out the worst offenders were not those nasty 4-wheelers, but (drum roll please) mountain bikers.

Probably transported to the site on Subaru Forrester roof racks with "Defenders" bumper stickers. Didn't see any defenders on the work crew though.
I had a conversation with the manager of Red Canyon Ranch, which is a TNC property managed for biodiversity and still grazes cattle. He related to me a picture taken from the ranch was included in the coffee table book 'Welfare Ranching' as evidence of cattle impacts on riparian areas. He said the real funny part, is that the cattle hadn't been in that pasture for over 2 years and what they had taken a picture of was a public access fishing site!

Not keeping up much on this pointer, but what page?
Not sure as the only copy I've had my hands on was as part of discovery in an appeal. Red Canyon Ranch is in Wyoming. You'll have to browse through your copy... wink

Red Canyon Ranch

Last edited by pointer; 03/21/13. Reason: To add link
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

My motto is just like TR's. "Make sure you're right, then go ahead".

Quoting TR while defending Don P in the same breath(thread)...

Oh the hypocrisy...

Kent

4100fps Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What have you been "RIGHT" about?

Let's see.

1. You started this thread by embracing a wacko Left Wing group's opinion

2. Wolves have devastated deer and elk populations

3. When you're not humping bob ferris' leg or a wolf, you're being blown out of one's sphincter at 4100fps.

smile

#1, I never denied posting the article, or tried to hide who wrote it. I said he gets what Peay is. All but the Kool-aide drinkers do. What were you "right about"?

#2. Big statement there, only in a few areas are ungulate numbers decreasing. Not all are attributed to wolves only. Montana for example had around 90,000 elk in 1995, and today we have 140,000. You have proven nothing.

We are helping to pay for a 3 year predator study in the Bitterroot Valley, to see what's killing the calf elk. After 2 years, your theory of wolves decimating the ungulate populations doesn't hold any water. I can post several studies that show the wolf is down the list on top predator of elk. Not sure you could comprehend the literature though.

#3 Coming from a duff that doesn't know the difference between a cat track or a dog! Laffin!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
May I suggest you can can find everything you want and apparently need as a "hunter" at any canned hunting operation. Abundent game (well hormoned for antler grownth) fences to keep the 4 legged wolves at bay and 2 legged ones limited to lazy (but well healed types),that I refuse to call fellow hunters. The only downside is you will have to list your trophies with SCI instead of the real deal.
Finally your commitment to "fixing" hunting as I have practiced for 40 years is destroying the grand tradition..............please just go away.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
"We are helping to pay for a 3 year predator study in the Bitterroot Valley, to see what's killing the calf elk. After 2 years, your theory of wolves decimating the ungulate populations doesn't hold any water. I can post several studies that show the wolf is down the list on top predator of elk. Not sure you could comprehend the literature though."

Curious who "we" are and what did they pay for?

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The study is co-sponsored by the University of Montana under the guidance of Mark Hebblewhite, associate professor of ungulate habitat ecology at the university�s College of Forestry and Conservation. Donations from local sportsmen and private landowners have ranged from $25 to an anonymous gift of $10,000, says Jourdonnais. �We�re very fortunate to have that kind of broad-based support,� he says. �A grassroots effort generated this study, and so far we�ve received funding from more than a dozen sources.� The U.S. Forest Service, Ravalli County Fish and Wildlife Association, Safari Club International and its Montana chapter, Hellgate Hunters and Anglers, Montana Bowhunters Association, and Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation also have contributed.

http://fwp.mt.gov/mtoutdoors/HTML/articles/2011/BitterrootElkStudy.htm#.UUtIZxzFXpY

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks JR. I should have been more specific as I was wondering which WE 4100 belonged to.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Toolelk
Thanks JR. I should have been more specific as I was wondering which WE 4100 belonged to.

His desk is right next to bob ferris over at Cascadia Wildlands Headquarters.

cool

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
rcamuglia...

Your "best" is quite impressive...you dont know a lion track from a wolf track. You think wolf tags are "hard to draw". You have no idea what the real problems are with elk, moose, etc.

For an encore you like sucking SFW Kool-aid straight from the Dons tap...How many pairs of knee pads have you worn out? Plenty I'm sure.

As far as 4100fps...you could try for the rest of your life and you'd have NO chance of acquiring the hunting and woodsmanship skills he has...and thats a simple fact.

I was born, grew up in, and hunted/fished/trapped some of the same country as 4100fps...it isnt for limp-wristed windbags like you, and your boy Peay, another simple fact.

While you were still trying to figure out what a wolf track looks like, many of us were busy in the wolf issue and getting state plans going. Wayyyy before SFW even existed...and wayyy before they started taking credit for the rider that they tried to kill that actually did delist wolves.

Your lack of knowledge on these issues as well as woodsmanship in general is pretty laughable...maybe you should post up some of the pictures you have of lower-48 wolves, bobcats, fishers, marten, coyotes, lynx, etc. that you've taken.

Show us how much you "know" about predators...

I suggest you stay on the porch before you're sized for a 3XL asshat...you've already got the 2XL.

Last edited by BuzzH; 03/21/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whoa!
Just got back from my woodsmanship 101 class at the university. Had to make a stop to get my hat resized too, so I just saw this.

I do have a lot of pictures of what I think are coyotes that I've shot, but after you've pointed out my greenhornness, I'm even starting to doubt what I thought I knew. They could be a house cat of some kind; I'm too embarrassed to post them for fear that I'm wrong.

Hold on a minute, I'm a tad thirsty.

Ahhhhh....

Koolaid!!!

Ok, I'm all better.

Hey! I see you're in Wyoming!

Guess what?!?! I'll be in your neck of the woods at the end of May!

PM me your contact info. It would be a great opportunity for us to get together. I'd love to pick your brain for information on all the stuff I need to learn!

I'll be on the porch in a rocker taking it easy til then, waiting for my knee pads to be repaired. They're at the upholsterer.

cool

4100fps Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Guess were having somewhat an impact. Not as good as SFW would, or could, but it's a start.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/nu...7afbf2c-927c-11e2-be0f-0019bb2963f4.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Crazy that you would reference that link/article since you have clearly stated that wolves are NOT an issue in regard to elk, moose and deer populations.

As some dick head has said earlier, LAFFIN'!

4100fps Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Crazy that you would reference that link/article since you have clearly stated that wolves are NOT an issue in regard to elk, moose and deer populations.

As some dick head has said earlier, LAFFIN'!

As always your reading comprehension skills are that of a third grader. I never said once that aren't having a impact. What I said was they aren't the number one predator of elk in our study. That study only is in regards to elk mortality. You either didn't read the study, or can't understand what you read. Then again it wasn't written in crayon!

This post was to show how amusing your statements are! Your doing yourself no favors in answering anything.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Glad to see you still have a sence of humour.
I really hope you will see the light.
tz
Whoa!
Just got back from my woodsmanship 101 class at the university. Had to make a stop to get my hat resized too, so I just saw this.

I do have a lot of pictures of what I think are coyotes that I've shot, but after you've pointed out my greenhornness, I'm even starting to doubt what I thought I knew. They could be a house cat of some kind; I'm too embarrassed to post them for fear that I'm wrong.

Ahhhhh....

Koolaid!!!

Ok, I'm all better.

PM me your contact info. It would be a great opportunity for us to get together. I'd love to pick your brain for information on all the stuff I need to learn!

I'll be on the porch in a rocker taking it easy til then, waiting for my knee pads to be repaired. They're at the upholsterer.

cool

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Whoa!

Ahhhhh....

Koolaid!!!

Ok, I'm all better.

cool

RC,did the "coyotes" look like this one?
[Linked Image]
grin
And yes SLM I like posting this pic. laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 41 invisible), 2,296 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,723
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.