Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GaryVA
I had thought the ammo manufacturers were required to label +P for loads above SAAMI standard pressure specs, and to label +P+ for loads above SAAMI +P pressure specs, even though the particular +P or +P+ load was not a SAAMI spec load. So if SAAMI has a specification for +P, but the manufacturer makes a load above those limits, it is required to be labeled +P+.

Ummm, not even remotely correct.

SAAMI member companies can only offer spec ammo to consumers. There are only four SAAMI +P cartridges: 9mm Luger, .38 Special, .38 Super, and .45 ACP.

Any other +P or +P+ markings are unregulated and marketing hype.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
The barrels a much thinner dimension, I can't find anywhere that says to limit loads...
Full Magnum loads, yes, according to SAAMI specs, but not the super Magnums that are available out there, such as from Buffalo Bore.

Now why would that be trh...give me the actual technical facts...not your opinion.

I didn't think you could answer wink

This is one of those rare cases where The Real Weasel could answer if he was paying attention.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=54

.44 magnum +P+ - the advisory says not for S&W revolvers. Looks good for a Sharps, though.

Heavy .44 Magnum +P+ Ammo - 340 gr. L.F.N. - G.C. (1,478 fps/M.E. 1,649 ft. lbs.)

My response was based on the barrel thickness comment...I just wanted him to explain why he thought the barrel had anything to do with it. wink

I've owned a few 29's over the years..shot a bit of handgun silhouette and killed a few critters. Even had a few RedHawks.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JOG
I had thought the ammo manufacturers were required to label +P for loads above SAAMI standard pressure specs, and to label +P+ for loads above SAAMI +P pressure specs, even though the particular +P or +P+ load was not a SAAMI spec load. So if SAAMI has a specification for +P, but the manufacturer makes a load above those limits, it is required to be labeled +P+.

SAAMI member companies can only offer spec ammo to consumers. There are only four SAAMI +P cartridges: 9mm Luger, .38 Special, .38 Super, and .45 ACP.

That doesn't sound correct, because SAAMI member companies manufacture non-SAAMI-spec +P+ ammo for law enforcement and they do label the headstamp as +P+. It is manufactured above standard-SAAMI-spec +P pressure and they are required to label it +P+, not for hype, but because it is loaded over the +P pressure specs. They would not be able to manufacture and sell commercial ammo that was loaded over SAAMI spec pressure without being marked as such. That is the entire reason to standardize the specifications and markings. A SAAMI member company is not going to manufacture a standard pressure load and mark +P+++SUPERHYPE ZOOM on the headstamp to hype marketing. But they will add a standardized plus pressure mark on the headstamp when it is loaded over spec.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I like the Model 29 series, but I've never found them to be too comfortable with full power loads.

Still, I ran a bunch of Elmer's load through one at the Silhouette range back in the 80's.

I learned that there's a reason why Model 29's never caught on in the Silhouette game.

You won't blow one with full power loads,..but you'll loosen one up sooner than you might expect.

The first indicator will be, it won't cycle double action.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG

That doesn't sound correct, because SAAMI member companies manufacture non-SAAMI-spec +P+ ammo for law enforcement and they do label the headstamp as +P+. It is manufactured above standard-SAAMI-spec +P pressure and they are required to label it +P+, not for hype, but because it is loaded over the +P pressure specs. They would not be able to manufacture and sell commercial ammo that was loaded over SAAMI spec pressure without being marked as such. That is the entire reason to standardize the specifications and markings. A SAAMI member company is not going to manufacture a standard pressure load and mark +P+++SUPERHYPE ZOOM on the headstamp to hype marketing. But they will add a standardized plus pressure mark on the headstamp when it is loaded over spec.

Best smile

That's why I said, "SAAMI member companies can only offer spec ammo to consumers."

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1minute, 1234, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 163bc, 204guy, 63 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,920
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.