-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John Leather's "Spritsails and Lugsails" and Phil Bolger's "100 Small Boat Rigs."

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Herman Melville
Wilke Collins
Joseph Conrad
Ann Radcliffe

All old stuff I'm finding at the thrift store.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DARBY
Ernie's War - The Best of Ernie Pyle's World War II Dispatches

Edited with a biographical essay by David Nichols, Foreword by Studs Terkel

A jewel.

Hey, Hoser,.....I've got a couple of first editions by our esteemed Mr. Pyle. You're welcome to the loan of em', if you take the notion.

There's an original Bill Mauldin, too,....somewhere.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm with mudhen on Cormac McCarty. All his is good. I also like Rick Bragg - "All Over But The Shoutin" and "The Prince of Frogtown". Been on a William Faulkner short story kick - The Big Woods, lots of early stuff. I also read Gene Hill, Nash Buckingham and Robert Ruark annually when I can't hunt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
the Fourth Way by PD Ouspensky?

ol Gurdjeff, roughly spelt, says that we should open our eyes, just as quickly as we can?

If you want to spend a few weeks, try "Psychological Commentaries on the Teaching of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky", all 5 volumes, by Maurice Nicoll. Took me a whole summer to get through. Ignore the metaphysical explanations of the universe - everybody has'em and they all come out of left field - but the rest of it is pretty good.

The mystical and spiritual portions of most of Ouspensky's works are pretty good but he was writing in the first two decades of the last century and his physics can be a bit quaint.

Also, if you want to pull your hair out, try "Beelzebub's Tales to his Grandson" by Gurdjieff. Each paragraph, almost each sentence, takes an entire page and wanders through about 15 to 20 parenthetical levels before emerging. By the time you come to the period at the end you forget where the sentence started. Seriously, stick with Ouspensky and/or other folks' explanations of Gurdjieff. I've read all three of Gurdjieff's books and except for some interesting history of his life you don't get a whole lot out of them.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To the original question:

"The Perennial Philosophy" by Aldous Huxley
"The Book of Chuang Tzu"
"The Secret Path" by Dr. Paul Brunton

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudhen
Just started rereading "All the Pretty Horses" by Cormac McCarthy. Haven't read it since I was given a pre-release copy. Forgot how captivating his prose can be, and the dialogue is spot on.

I read "The Road" when it first came out. Couldn't stop reading it, sure was glad when I finished it. I found it very powerful, and descriptive.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for starting this Ken. And thanks to you all for the leads to some good summer reading.

Mine:

The Holy Earth, L.H. Bailey

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Earth-Liberty-Hyde-Bailey/dp/0960531467

"L. H. Bailey, a proponent of environmental stewardship, reflected on society's disconnect with its own earth at the turn of the twentieth century. Progressive and provocative, Bailey's seminal 1915 work calls on the individual to recognize the divine in the common land we occupy."

My highlighting.

Sometimes it seems to me not much has changed. Perhaps more folks should have read it in the last century? I try to re-read it once a year or so as a reminder.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by Gus
the Fourth Way by PD Ouspensky?

ol Gurdjeff, roughly spelt, says that we should open our eyes, just as quickly as we can?

If you want to spend a few weeks, try "Psychological Commentaries on the Teaching of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky", all 5 volumes, by Maurice Nicoll. Took me a whole summer to get through. Ignore the metaphysical explanations of the universe - everybody has'em and they all come out of left field - but the rest of it is pretty good.

The mystical and spiritual portions of most of Ouspensky's works are pretty good but he was writing in the first two decades of the last century and his physics can be a bit quaint.

Also, if you want to pull your hair out, try "Beelzebub's Tales to his Grandson" by Gurdjieff. Each paragraph, almost each sentence, takes an entire page and wanders through about 15 to 20 parenthetical levels before emerging. By the time you come to the period at the end you forget where the sentence started. Seriously, stick with Ouspensky and/or other folks' explanations of Gurdjieff. I've read all three of Gurdjieff's books and except for some interesting history of his life you don't get a whole lot out of them.

thanks for the head's up. beyond the Fourth Way School and book, i'm pretty bereft when it comes to the subject at hand.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
MadMooner,

WEST WITH THE NIGHT is a very fine book. Unfortunately, Beryl didn't write it. Her husband did. She had a live-in "ghost writer."

I've seen that debate but I thought final consensus was that she wrote it. He was more of a hack screen writer. IIRC

Either way, it was her remarkable life I suppose.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
MadMooner,

WEST WITH THE NIGHT is a very fine book. Unfortunately, Beryl didn't write it. Her husband did. She had a live-in "ghost writer."

I have read that in several places,. I have also read several refutes of the claim. Some chalk it up to his editing the book, others give credit to him entirely.

Either way, yes, it is a fine book!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Two years Before the Mast by Dana. I got my copy from a fine gentleman by the name of Ken Howell.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was completely ruined when it came to reading heavy material in college. I view it as absolute torture, no exaggeration, I hate to read things that require a lot of thinking. I've been reading the Leatherstocking Tales, just started on the first in the series, The Deerslayer. Recently finished up a couple of Peter Hathaway books. I view reading as a release, and a good story does that for me, he11 I have all of Louis L'Amour's books and have probably read all of them at least 3-4 times. I still pull one off the shelf occasionally and sit down to read it for an afternoon.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by pira114
Hell Wouldn't Stop.

I don't get emotional. Almost never. I had to stop reading this book a couple times. It's about Wake Island told through interviews and letters from the Marines who served there. From before the war all the way through surviving (for some) the POW camps.

Hell Wouldn't Stop

I'll look for one of these.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ever read the Key-Lock Man, by Louis L'Amour?

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just recently read the Berger Manual all the way up to the loading data, good story about Walt Berger, definately changed my views on his products, now when I buy and shoot Berger bullets, I know and appreciate all his hard work and his contributions to shooters and the quest for accuracy, especially at extended range ....

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Read a couple recently by some upstart by the name of John Barsness. Ever heard of him? wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anything by George V Higgins. I have almost all of his published stuff.

1B

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Read the Key-Lock Man several times. I would have to say that one of my absolute favorites is the Comstock Lode. The Sackett series is great, the Kilkenny books, I really can't think of one that I didn't enjoy.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 8 invisible), 1,444 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,514
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.