Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Clean an AR?

That's as stupid as cleaning a shotgun.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My gun would be mostly used for punching paper so I'm interested in accuracy.

The barrel is the heart of your accuracy potential in an AR platform. Look for one made of stainless if possible. The Chrome lined barrels are great for "fighting" guns and some are accurate but you stand a better chance of getting a more accurate rifle if you bypass the chrome.

As others have mentioned a good trigger will go a long way in helping with accuracy. The Timney is a good choice. The best I have ever used is the Geissele Hi-Speed models.

A model with a free float tube or rail system will be very helpful in getting every last bit of accuracy from your rifle.

I prefer a minimum barrel length of 18" for an AR that I might ever decide to hunt with. The 14.5" and 16" barrels are nice but I find them too loud to shoot without hearing protection and I never wear that when I hunt. For a fighting rifle the 14.5" (with a pinned F/S)is an excellent choice.

I'm sure you've already figured this out but get a flat top upper.

If you're not building your own rifle you don't need any special tools. They clean up just like any other rifle. Just keep the bolt carrier group oiled and you'll be good to go.

Last edited by TC1; 04/05/13.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Kaumheimer
Any suggestions on gear to maintain the gun or house it, ie bag, cases, tools, etc? What would be your favorite utility wrench for example?

Look up Chris F here and PM him same questions....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Besides all the above advice, the only parts failure I've had in one was an extractor spring go bad, so I'd obtain a couple of spare extractor springs.

I'll add - the tools to change barrels - action vise(s), wrench for the nut are useful. I've never changed a barrel on a bolt action myself, but have done it a couple times now with AR's.

The guns are modular in design, and fun and easy to rebarrel & otherwise modify smile

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 04/05/13.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by deflave
GFY (Means praise the Lord)

That CRACKED ME UP!

I'm with others who could live w/o ARs in general. I have one but it is neglected simply because I like shooting bolt actions a whole lot better.

ARs are great for carrying afield for sure. I'm working on a good 2-point sling as pointed out by others, and a free-floated hand guard. I put a Bushnell 3200 2-7x 32mm on mine and it is good nuff, just like the rifle itself. I've been loading its favorite load by the hundreds, thumbing my PMags full in anticipation of the coming fecal matter impacting the air circulation device.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
All...including the rat gun!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TC1

I prefer a minimum barrel length of 18" for an AR that I might ever decide to hunt with. The 14.5" and 16" barrels are nice but I find them too loud to shoot without hearing protection and I never wear that when I hunt. For a fighting rifle the 14.5" (with a pinned F/S)is an excellent choice.

Get a Walker's Game Ear. You won't go back. The contractors I worked with in Iraq figured that out PDQ, at least the ones who can still hear did.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, 10Glocks, B52RadarNav, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, 7 invisible), 1,616 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,448
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.