Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think it was #9 that I use. For the .357 I used 5 gr of Blue Dot behind the shot capsule and it's worked well...it's all I've tried in .357. All of the cotton mouths have required 2 shots to completely kill them. Copperheads have only needed 1. Haven't had to use it on a rattler yet. They work great on rats as well.

Have used the same #9 and 5 gr of Blue Dot in 10mm cases with a thin cardboard seal on top of powder and on top of the shot (thin bit of glue on top of last one). It has worked well in a 10mm revolver, but may come loose if you fire 10mm rounds with it in a different cylinder. Would guess the same could happen with .357 (maybe max?) brass sealed the same way.

Don't have any pics of the .357 shot capsule loads, but here are a few of the home-grown 10mm shot shells:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Plinker
Originally Posted by viking
Instead of capsules, couldn't a guy use gas checks or home made wads from a milk cartoon? I haven't been impressed with the cci shot shells on paper. The closer the better, the farther away it seems like a donut pattern appeared on paper.

This is what I load. Two gas checks is all you need.

FWIW - My son shot a snake twice at a distance of eight feet with a CCI 38 special snake shot load and it slithered away. I finished it off with a 22 rimfire to the head.

that's been my experience with the .357 CCI shells....they just don't pack a whole lot of whompus on big snakes or rats or anything else much beyond "Oh, chit I stepped on him" range.

.44s and .45s are about minimum to get a significant pattern at any range beyond the length of your leg.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Years ago I bought a bag of #10 shot and reloaded .45 Colt, .41 Mag., and .357 Mag. with the shot. I guarantee # 10 shot will put the "big hurt" on a rattlesnake.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck

No one wants to share their recipe for success? confused cry

SD, been a long time, but I used an Al Miller load from an OLD issue of Handloader. It was a very informative article.

Mark

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by StubbleDuck

No one wants to share their recipe for success? confused cry

I make my own with wads cut from common heavy card stock. The stock on the back of a desk calendar works fine. Since pack rats had shredded the wiring harness in my Gladiator I had a score to settle. So,,, a wad punch was in order.
[Linked Image]
You may not need as many as I so a sacrificial case chamfered on the outside will work. Just put the card stock on an old magazine and give the case head a whack with a mallet. You'll need a length of wire to push through the primer flash hole to knock the wad out.

It goes without saying to size and prime, but to help retain the overshot wad I give them a light, very light, crimp.
Since I have a 357 that's the brass I use. The shot charge I wanted was 158gr or as close under as I could get so I chose a low-moderate velocity charge of Universal which a .5cc Lee dipper gives.
Drop your powder charge and tip the over powder wad into the case and press it down onto the powder.
What I ran into was a 158gr shot charge overfilled the case so I picked out enough to leave room for the overshot wad and then weighed it. It came out to just over 150gr. I then found the Lee dipper that held just that much shot even at the top of the dipper. Add the shot charge and press an overshot wad into place. It should be just inside the light crimp. I then add a thin bead of super glue around the edge of the wad to help hold it against recoil.
If you find you have excess case space add wads over the powder to bring the shot up. In this case you need to weigh shot and wads together. Your payload weight Cannot exceed max bullet weight for the powder charge used.

So long as you stay at or under max payload weight, shot and wad weight combined, for your powder charge your pressure will be safe.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use #12 shot in .38 or .357 cases and the CCI capsules. For powder, I use 3.0 gr of Titegroup. #12 shot works much better. My son has dropped rattlers DRT with barely a wiggle with a head shot, even from .22 crimped shotshells. In a .44 or .45, there is really quite a bit of #12 in each load. In the .44 or .45, I use 4.5 gr of TItegroup under the capsule.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't use them often enough to make handloads, but I did test .22, .357, and .44 shot loads some years ago, on tin cans. At 10 feet or so the .22 annoyed the can, the .357 sorta poked a few holes in it, and the .44 shredded it. I've never bought anything but .44's since.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JCMCUBIC, tell me a bit about that 10mm, that's a cool looking revolver. Custom sights? thanks.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dunno why this is, but when I tried .38 Spl. shotloads,I got my best patterns from my S&W M60. The 4" and 6" .38s didn't give a good a pattern as the snubbie.
My preference when hiking out in the desert is a 4 5/8" Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum and 7 1/2 shot. We get some big Western Diamondback rattlers and some sub-species of rattlesnake get downright aggressive, especially the Mojave Greens. here may not be as much shot usinging 7 1/2 but the heavier shot does a nice job at p close and personal ranges.
If I spot a snake, I try to give it it's space and go around. I see no need to shoot one unless it's getting aggressive in which case he's sealed his fate. Most of the time when I do see a snake, he's headed as afar away from he as he can quickly slither so I just leave them alone.
The gun has a standard Blackhawk grip frame which is a bit smaller than the Super Blackhawk frame which helps keep it out of the was but recoil is much harsher with full power .44 ammo. I usually have two snake loads lined up to go first and 4 full power loads in the cylinder. Works for me.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 270jrk
JCMCUBIC, tell me a bit about that 10mm, that's a cool looking revolver. Custom sights? thanks.

It's S&W's 310 Nightguard in factory form. The sights are XS up front and Cylinder and Slide in the rear. It's a fun little gun.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/..._757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 47 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,709
Posts18,475,378
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.