Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
And don't forget Toyota Reliability.

To buy a GM product you might as well have voted for Obama in the last election.

No dif.

GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99
We will not buy or own a Japanese made car or truck.

I will not give permission to use my land to a driver of such a vehicle nor give work to a contractor.

The Japanese started WW2, killed millions of innocent woman, children and our solders. They take the profits from sales of goods here and do the engineering.

There is shame and no pride in owning a Japanese made product and that includes guns.

[Linked Image]

Uh...I think we got our revenge for that a long time ago--remember those mushroom clouds?

Time to let go of it and move on with your life.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I am no fan of the japanese, but they do make a good truck and they are made in the USA employing American workers. The profits are returned to the shareholders since they are a publically traded company.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
We all put too much emotion into our vehicles. And our computers, cell phones, rifles, tools....

I had a Yukon XL that was pretty stout. Traded it for a newer one that... um... hasn't been so much. I had a Sunbird that had a blown head gasket and a seized oil pump 2 weeks apart, and both within the first 40K on the odometer. I had a Plymouth Voyager with gasket and transmission problems < 70K miles.

The family has also owned 2 accords, 1 Civic, and 3 Corollas. The sum total of their repairs (beyond basic maintenance) has been less than any of the cars from US-based mfgrs.

I aint sayin' one can't find a rock-solid vehicle from a domestically based mfgr (even if it's not actually produced here). I think the odds of doing so, however, are probably less (and maybe far less), than finding one from Toyota or Honda.

I'd prefer to buy a car from a US mfgr, but I don't make enough money to subsidize them to produce a vehicle that's not as good as the competition. Or I guess I should say, to subsidize them twice: my tax dollars are already doing that.

To the OP: drive both, check with your gut, & buy whatever you feel is best. Take care of it per the mfgr's specs, & spend your energies with family, hunting, & other more worthwhile pursuits.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Tundra is a failed product. Just look at their sales.

Need more proof?

No fully boxed frame on a Tundra. Oh what a feeling!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35

To buy a GM product you might as well have voted for Obama in the last election.

No dif.

Toyota reliability? Not any more. They're the most recalled vehicle in three of the last four years.

Click Here

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Originally Posted by Savage_99
We will not buy or own a Japanese made car or truck.

I will not give permission to use my land to a driver of such a vehicle nor give work to a contractor.

The Japanese started WW2, killed millions of innocent woman, children and our solders. They take the profits from sales of goods here and do the engineering.

There is shame and no pride in owning a Japanese made product and that includes guns.

Why do you show such bigotry towards the Japanese and their products? So much so that you treat those that use them differently.

How many Detroit vehicles are sold in Japan each year? Answer - around 7,000, while the Japanese auto makers sell hundreds of thousands of vehicles here in the U.S. Now THAT'S BIGOTRY!

Last edited by walt501; 03/29/13.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I bought Chevs. for 15 years..UNTIL I bought my first Toyota..haven't owned anything but Toyota's since...

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Toyota reliability? Not any more. They're the most recalled vehicle in three of the last four years.

Baloney...

"safety-related service actions"

Overall a toyota will last years longer than any GM product.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey I like the tundra.If Toyota had a decent body I'd own one.
But they are the first to rust here with Dodge number 2.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I have a 2011 6.2 liter, half ton crew cab Chevy and I love it. I pull a 25' enclosed snowmobile trailer with 5 long track mountain sleds (550 -600 pounds each wet) up and over the Big Horn mountains every other weekend in the winter. My older 5.3 stuggled, but the 6.2 handles the weight and has enough power to cruise right over. I like the 6 speed automatic transmission and the tow package. Seems like the gears fit the job. The transmission also downshifts when the trailer is hooked up and I am using the breaks. The towing capability of this truck is outstanding compared to by 2004 5.3. I love it. Fuel milage when I am not pulling averages at 14.5 - 15. It is still slightly increasing from break in. I get about 16.5 on the interstate. I can pass in a hurry at 80mph if I need to on these Wyoming highways. Love the truck.

**That said, I should say that the 4 wheel drive actuator that mounts on the transfer case went out at 10,000 miles! I have also had a sensor problem in the steering that was de-activating my traction control. Both were fixed under warranty, but I am concerned.

Last edited by Oakster; 03/29/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by walt501

How many Detroit vehicles are sold in Japan each year? Answer - around 7,000, while the Japanese auto makers sell hundreds of thousands of vehicles here in the U.S. Now THAT'S BIGOTRY!

Wow.

Not only does this make no sense, I have trouble responding. As to why 'detroit' does not import more to Japan I cannot give an articulate answer based on facts. I can assume because they do not want a sub par product. Their car market is very different than ours and the government rewards those that buy new, and make used cars increasingly more difficult to own.

Because Japan sells a lot of cars here they are bigots? Perhaps you should invest in a dictionary.
Per Merriam Webster
: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by walt501

I make more money than my unemployed neighbor. Am I a bigot?

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The warranty was extended to 10yrs or 150k

Tundra and Sequoia $4000 Air Injection System Problem

Jason (Admin) | Apr 26, 2010 | Comments 402

UPDATE: As of November 2011 (nearly 18 months after this problem first came to our attention), Toyota has finally announced a special service campaign to cover this repair. You can learn more about Toyota�s Air Injection Pump Extended Warranty Campaign here.

It�s been brought to our attention that many 2007 or 2008 Tundra owners are being asked to replace their truck�s air induction pump assemblies and/or air injection switching valves at a substantial cost. The pumps and/or valves seem to be malfunctioning at about the same time that Toyota�s 3 year/36k mile warranty ends, sometimes at a total cost of more than $4,000. Obviously, this is a major concern for any 2007 and older Tundra owner.

Some Tundra owners face air injection pump repairs in excess of $4,000

Here�s the background on this problem, what�s happening, and what you can do if this problem effects your Tundra.

What�s An Air Injection System?

Air injection is used to improve cold-start emissions, a federally-mandated emissions requirement. By injecting fresh air into the exhaust stream, the catalytic converters will heat up more quickly and therefore become more effective at scrubbing exhuast gases. Once the catalytics are warmed up, the air injection system is no longer needed.

On the 2007+ Tundra, the air injection system turns on at cold start and runs for 1-2 minutes until the engine computer determines the exhaust system is sufficiently warm. The injection system is purely needed to improve emissions � it has absolutely no impact on the core function of the engine. In fact, your truck would run better, cost less, and be more reliable if it didn�t have this system�but it wouldn�t be as �clean� environmentally, so it�s required by federal law.

Why Some Parts of The Air Injection System Are Breaking On The Tundra

The system has four main components � two pumps and two valves. The pumps pull air from under the passenger-side fender well and send it to the back of the intake manifold, where two valves open and close to allow this air to enter the exhaust gas stream. The pumps themselves and the air inlet are located behind the front passenger-side splash guard, just below the fender. The air is pulled from essentially the same place that the air intake pulls fresh air, an area that is designed to stay mostly dry and free of moisture.

Click to see a larger view of the pumps (left) and valves (right).

However, many Tundra owners have found that their truck�s air injection system has somehow ingested water. The water then collects in the induction pumps, sometimes causing the pumps to fail. Additionally, as these pumps operate in wet conditions, they pump humid, moisture-filled air into the valves at the rear of the intake manifold, which can cause the valves to fail as well. The total cost to replace both pumps and valves can exceed $4,000, depending on the dealer. This repair is not generally covered by warranty.

**UPDATE** � As of May 27th, 2010, Toyota has extended warranty coverage to 6 years and 60k miles for this problem. If your truck is less than six years old or under 60k miles, it should be covered.

At this point, it�s not clear as to how water is getting into the system. The most obvious answer is that water is getting into the pumps from the air intake tubes. However, it�s hard to determine how this is happening � the tubes are protected from exposure to the elements. If we find any new info on this, we�ll be sure to update this article.

The Parts That Are Failing

There are a few different possible failures:

1. Pump failure only. According to Toyota�s most recent TSB on this issue, pump failure can be diagnosed quickly and easily using the electronic diagnosis tool. If the pumps become water-logged, the pumps can fail. However, it�s also possible that the pumps can fail as a result of a poor harness connection or a clogged intake line.

2. Valve failure only. If the pump test shows that the pumps are operating correctly, the problem may be a stuck/corroded valve or a valve wiring harness problem.

3. Pump and valve failure. This is the worst case and most expensive possible failure.

Vehicle�s Potentially Effected

It seems that all 2007&#8242;s and that a portion of 2008 and 2010 Tundras are susceptible to this problem (all engines). According to the TSB, Toyota made a production change in 2008 that �fixed� this issue�yet there is also a TSB for 2010 models. If the 2008&#8242;s were changed, why the TSB on the 2010 model? Chances are good this problem can occur on all Tundras. However, their is no TSB currently for 2009&#8242;s, so 09&#8242; Tundras may be exempt from this issue.

Engine Trouble Codes Set By This Problem

P0418, P0419, P2440, P2441, P2442, P2443, P2445, and/or P2447

Unfortunately, the codes aren�t always specific to a particular component. In order to figure out what�s broken, first the pumps must be tested for function. If the pumps aren�t working, they must be removed and checked for moisture. If the pumps are wet, at least one of them must be replaced. If not, connectors must be checked. Then, regardless of moisture or connection, the valves must also be checked.

How Many Tundras Have This Problem?

We have no data to indicate the size and scope of this issue. However, based on the number of complaints on the TundraSolutions.com website, similar complaints on TundraTalk, complaints we�ve heard, and a brief survey of some dealership personel we speak with frequently, it seems this problem is fairly rare. None the less, the incredible potential expense is cause for concern.

What To Do If Your Tundra Has This Problem

UPDATE: Commenter Bill3508 has told us that unplugging the air injection pumps (disconnecting the harness) will set a check engine light, but it will not trigger limp mode. This is the easiest way to keep your truck running without making a repair. Of course, a check engine light might keep you from passing emissions at some point.

1. Recognize that this system is non-essential. The air injection system isn�t necessary for proper function, and ignoring this light will not harm your truck. However, if a check-engine light is set by this error, your truck will enter what is known as �limp� mode. While your truck is in �limp� mode, you�ll have significantly less power until the code is cleared.

If you purchase your own code scanner, and if you�re willing to deal with the hassle, you can clear this code on your own any time it is set. The air injection pumps and/or valves might not work correctly, but you can drive down the road just fine without this system (remember, it�s just emissions equipment, and it�s just used for 1 to 2 minutes at start-up).

2. Beware dealers who want to replace the entire system. Don�t get us wrong � sometimes the entire system (both pumps and valves) will need replacement. However, dealers often recommend replacing all suspect parts at once rather than replacing parts as they break. The reason? Labor costs are usually the same whether you replace one part or the whole system, and when there�s a lot of labor involved, the cost of the parts is less than the labor.

Also, it should be noted that dealers will often recommend replacing parts that aren�t technically malfuctioning in order to reduce the number of visits to the dealership (and increase the chances of fixing a problem right the first time), not to mention the additional profit this policy generates.

If your dealer suggests you replace both pumps or valves, ask them:

Are both of the pumps really malfunctioning? It doesn�t make sense to replace both pumps unless they�re both broken because the labor cost to replace a pump is very low. It�s better to pay an extra $100 of labor later than it is to buy a $1000 pump you don�t need.

On the other hand, the valves should be replaced as a set (even if only one is malfunctioning). The reason? Labor costs are more than the cost of the part, which means it�s smart to replace both valves than it is to pay to have one valve replaced now and then the other one later. Besides, there�s a pretty good chance that both valves are damaged even if only one is malfunctioning.

NOTE: If you own a Tundra with a 4.7L V8 and you�re told that you must replace BOTH pumps, your dealer is reading the oldest TSB. According to TSB032908, only the bank 2 pump must be replaced.

3. Ask for a discount on parts and/or obtain your own parts. There is a substantial mark-up in the parts cost on the pumps � there are reports of pumps costing anywhere from $900 to $1200 each. Be sure to check for parts online before authorizing this repair.

4. Ask for assistance. Toyota dealers are authorized to cover a substantial portion of this repair under what is known as �After Warranty Assistance,� or AWA. However, AWA is not doled out freely. Dealers have a limited amount of discretion, and they can�t give everyone assistance. Here�s how they determine who gets assistance and who doesn�t:
Was the vehicle bought new?
Was the vehicle bought from the dealer?
Is the person requesting AWA a frequent dealership service customer?
If AWA is granted, is it likely we�ll see this customer again?

If the answer to any of the above questions is no, it is unlikely you will be granted any AWA.

5. In some states, some or all of these repairs are covered by emissions warranty. The coverage depends on the failure and the code set. Generally speaking, the bulk of this coverage expires after 3 years and 50k miles. Some parts may be covered for 7 years or 70k miles.

If you bought your vehicle in and live in the states of California, Maine, Massachusetts, or Vermont, your 07+ Tundra may be covered by state-mandated emissions warranties.

If you have an 08+ Tundra and you bought your vehicle in and live in Connecticut, Pennsylvania, or Rhode Island, some or all of this repair may be covered.

What Else You Can Do

1. File a complaint with the EPA. Depending on your perspective, you can either complain to the EPA about Toyota�s poor design/poor part quality, or you can complain about EPA regulations that require your vehicle to have this system in the first place. Either way, the EPA complaint form is at the bottom of this page.

2. Don�t overlook the option of buying a scanning tool. You can purchase a code reader scanner tool for about $100 and clear the codes yourself. You�ll probably have to do this a few times � and at some time it will stop working � but it will prevent this repair as long as possible.

3. Fix it yourself. There�s a good thread about this on TundraSolutions.com with a lot of info, plus some pictures that show rebuilding a pump and this video:

If you can get the pump working again as shown in the video, you�re a few thousand to the good.

TSB Info

The TSB�s can not be provided here. However, here are the TSB numbers you can tell your dealer:

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good post. I would add that anyone who is faced with such an expensive repair to their smog equipment might file for an exemption from DMV, based on excessive cost--in California, anyway.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
We all put too much emotion into our vehicles. And our computers, cell phones, rifles, tools....

I had a Yukon XL that was pretty stout. Traded it for a newer one that... um... hasn't been so much. I had a Sunbird that had a blown head gasket and a seized oil pump 2 weeks apart, and both within the first 40K on the odometer. I had a Plymouth Voyager with gasket and transmission problems < 70K miles.

The family has also owned 2 accords, 1 Civic, and 3 Corollas. The sum total of their repairs (beyond basic maintenance) has been less than any of the cars from US-based mfgrs.

I aint sayin' one can't find a rock-solid vehicle from a domestically based mfgr (even if it's not actually produced here). I think the odds of doing so, however, are probably less (and maybe far less), than finding one from Toyota or Honda.

I'd prefer to buy a car from a US mfgr, but I don't make enough money to subsidize them to produce a vehicle that's not as good as the competition. Or I guess I should say, to subsidize them twice: my tax dollars are already doing that.

To the OP: drive both, check with your gut, & buy whatever you feel is best. Take care of it per the mfgr's specs, & spend your energies with family, hunting, & other more worthwhile pursuits.

FC

This sums it up nicely. This is really how I feel

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SU35

No dif.

That hurt like a punch to the gut

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only truck I ever regretted selling was a 05 Tundra

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Toyota trucks are much more American than most 'domestic' vehicles. Look at where the truck is assembled and where the parts come from.
Not to mention they flat out make a better product. No ifs ands or buts about it.

What a load of BS. Obviously you don't know that the money from your purchase goes overseas and adds to the trade deficit.

Better product? Again, what a king sized load of BS. The toyota is just a grocery getting, mall shopping, POS wanna be excuse for a truck.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR

Toyota trucks are much more American than most 'domestic' vehicles. Look at where the truck is assembled and where the parts come from.
Not to mention they flat out make a better product. No ifs ands or buts about it.

What a load of BS. Obviously you don't know that the money from your purchase goes overseas and adds to the trade deficit.

Better product? Again, what a king sized load of BS. The toyota is just a grocery getting, mall shopping, POS wanna be excuse for a truck.

LMAO....you must build those piece of chit GM's.

Dink

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 264mag, 12344mag, 160user, 31 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,058
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.