Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ribka
You are setting up you and the Wife for failure. He will end up stealing you blind and cause a lot of problems in your relationship with your wife as she will side with him.

Don't do it.

^^^^^^^^

That

Kudos to you for having been in LE for so long and still having enough heart to even consider it, if he is going to clean up his act he will do it regardless of circumstance, if not, anything you do is simply enabling...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
DaveR

While some posters say that you can't beat his addiction out him, that is NOT what you have said you are trying to do. You are laying down the rules. If he breaks them, there will be consequences for his actions, one of them includes the beating of his life.

I would not allow him in my house. My wife has two daughters by a previous marriage. They have always treated her very badly. They are not drug users, but have always greatly disrespected her. She knows that neither of them will ever be allowed in our house under any circumstances. Thankfully both of them live over 500 miles from us.

If you do allow him to live with you be sure to get EVERYTHING of value in a safe place. That includes your weapons, tools, jewelry, cameras etc. Anything that can be quickly converted to cash by him. If I was you, I'd figure out some way to keep all sharp objects such as knives and scissors out of his reach too. I know that I could not trust him and doubt that I would get much sleep knowing that a druggie was under the same roof with me. If he gets high again and comes back, you never know what he might try to do before you get the chance to beat the crap out of him.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish you luck my friend. Please get help.

He may be a great kid when sober, but do not undrestimate the power of addiction.

While he may want to be sober, he would likely trade his life to get high.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Don't do it. It will ruin your life as you know it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can't fix him. Only HE can fix him.

It sounds like he's already had more than enough chances, and, to be blunt, just hasn't hit rock-bottom yet.

They rarely clean up before hitting the bottom. I take it you want to be part of him hitting bottom if you're gonna live with him?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He has already hit rock bottom if doing heroine? I don't trust addicts. They lie, steal, deceive, and use people against each other for their overall goal which is to get their "high". How long has he been using? He went to Ghanistan and came home and started or started over there? Either way heroine is some nasty chit! I would say he needs to get to a rehab that is qualified in treating a heroine addiction being at home usually enables the person in my experience creating problems at the homestead. I would pray and hope that a treatment and his self will would get him cleaned up? Good on you to help though Sir. Good luck.

Last edited by Esox357; 03/30/13.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Luck

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you think whipping his butt is even remotely a possibility, then don't let him in the house. Your wife and the kid are blood. You are on the outside of that equation. You put the stomp on him and it might not be a good thing for relations with the wife.

Good luck. You're going to need it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Here we go and I'll attempt to make it quick.

My half-brother was a down and out drunk/drug addict living somewhere in New Orleans. No one had seen him in almost a dozen years. Sister was on a mission to save him.

She finally got him back to Florida @1994. He went through all the rehabs etc, got work and eventually moved in with a gal that was the next door neighbor to my sister.

Things began to go down the [bleep] in 1997 and I recall several conversations with my sister telling her that he was a lost soul and she should step away completely. She said she was never going to do that.

December 25th 1999, my sister, brother,his GF and her son had Christmas dinner at my mother's house.

December 26th 1999, my brother shot my sister in the face and also murdered another neighbor.

Here is a prison pic I just lifted off Florida inmate search. This is the face of a rehab that never worked. It took a few years to play out but I always he was a lost soul, I only wish my sister would have accepted it.

[Linked Image]

I flew to Florida from Alaska the day after the murder and went straight from the airport to the jail they were holding him at. I'm grateful that the glass was so thick, as I had a feeling come across me that I have never felt before and not since. I hope to never have that feeling again.

Every situation is different and the same. My sister was so close that she would never accept what a POS he was.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Damn Scott...I knew about your sister but never heard the entire story...sorry for your loss.

IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DaveR
If I'm on the wrong track..someone talk me out of this. I think I have the life and professional experince to possibly have a shot at pulling this off. Am I delusional?

You're delusional. You're letting your valuable experience morph into harmful ego. His success or failure has absolutely nothing to do with you.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Damn Scott...I knew about your sister but never heard the entire story...sorry for your loss.

I didn't.
Damn.
Tragic.
No junkie is worth..........that.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I wouldn't let him in the house until he completed a rehab program, Only then would he be allowed in the house to teach him the ways of life.

I have a BIL that is a addict, he has put my wife and inlaws through he11. The wife and I tried to help but just got kicked in the teeth, Finally one day I showed him a baseball bat and told him that if he ever stepped foot on my property again he'd have the bat shoved down his [bleep] throat and pulled out his wortless azz, that was 3 years ago and I'm not in jail so I guess he took me serious.

I did put up cameras around and in the house just in case he decided steal anymore from us he'll be on tape and busted.

If you do decide to do this make sure weekly drug testing is part of the deal that way he'll know that getting away with it by lying will be impossible.

Good luck, I hope you are able to get her son back for her.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for sharing that Steelhead. I've often wondered how that all went down. Thought it was too personal to ask.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dayum....sorry Scott

All American

All the time
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Damn Scott thats gotta be hard to share, My condolences Sir.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[bleep] happens, it was a long time ago. Only one way to go an that is forward.

This thread is about the OP, only sharing a story of addiction and bringing one home. I know they don't all end that way but I'm one that is prone to hedge his bets.

Taking in family with NO issues is tough enough, one with a drug habit ain't gonna make it easier.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by goalie
You can't fix him. Only HE can fix him.

It sounds like he's already had more than enough chances, and, to be blunt, just hasn't hit rock-bottom yet.

They rarely clean up before hitting the bottom. I take it you want to be part of him hitting bottom if you're gonna live with him?

Some great advice so far.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'll add from my experiences- Nothing he says matters. Assume every word out of his mouth is a lie.

You know this, but actions are far more important that words.

Good luck with it.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When this guy becomes a member of your household everything will change, and not for the better.

Next to his addiction the lies he tells you will be irrelevant, next to his addiction any ass-whuppings you give him will be irrelevant. In fact he'd gladly take a severe ass-whupping every single day if it led to the bliss of his next fix.

Letting him into your house will only increase the likelyhood of further break-ins and theft after you kick him out.

JMHO,
Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 27 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,515,003
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.