-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Journalism is almost dead in this country. I would say that 95% of those who consider themselves journalists are really propagandists working for the cause of progressive fascism. You should talk to her about this and suggest she consider a different career where honesty and integrity rule.

[Linked Image from ]

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Calvin, she earned a scholarship that covers the bulk of the costs. What remains is going to be a little, shall we say, unpleasant at times but it's manageable. She will incur no debt as an undergrad.

Brent, thanks for the info. It seems that the structure and overall value of these things are quite school-dependent.

JG, whatever her adult politics turn out to be, it won't be because she was indoctrinated by me or anyone else. She's a fiercely independent person and does not just accept things as presented-- by whomever. Good for her, I say. Frankly as FUBAR as both parties are I think the world will need more like her. It ain't like what we've got going now, R or D, is working.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Conrad, I pretty much agree, plus, there's not much money in the profession. I'd be surprised if her interest in journalism led to her being an actual journalist, but, that'll be her call. Journalism/communications degrees lead many directions.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
My daughter was accepted to the Honors College at a large university. Anyone here go that route, or have a kid or loved one who did? Opinions?

I'm glad your children are smarter that you are sometimes, but that is a whole different story. Congratulations to her on her academic achievements

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
CCCC, thanks. That does help.

I grew up on a campus-- my dad was a professor-- but it was an engineering school and I don't know if they had an honors program, or, given what you've said, how relevant it'd be anyway. I'll have to ask him his take.

If it was an engineering school then (imo and ime) the vast majority of the students were honors students.

When I was in college the honors program was an extra class and a seminar. Others are very worthwhile if it gets you away form the rabble and into smaller classes.

It really does depend.

congrats for you and your kid!

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That'd be my experience from my first few years of college (in ore-engineering and CS programs) as well.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

My youngest daughter not long ago graduated from Davidson Honors at U of Montana. This was her second degree. This one is in like Global Warming. 3 colleges offered this type of degree .. U of Or, U of Mt & U of Ak. She choose U of Mt because she got scholarships because her grandfather is alumni and I was a logger.

I don't really know the difference in regular school but at grad she wore a whole bunch of colored sashes.

One of her work studies was in Bee research. Researching Bee stuff for big Ag / Chem ... due to the Colony Collapse Disorder and US Military ... training Bees to detect explosives.

She became or is becoming kind of a Bee expert I would say. Since grad she has started her own Bee education and outreach company and is doing very well. Back yard Bee Keeping is becoming very popular as well as Bee friendly farming and big Ag is funneling millions into Bee research.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by mathman
When I started college I was an honors student. That didn't last too long though. Honors courses turned out to mostly be humanities oriented crap in which I had no interest. So I left the honors program, a/k/a center for liberal indoctrination.

Funny. Same page.

Last edited by WPAH; 03/31/13.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Rule of thumb in higher education, always take the higher opportunities offered. Worked for me.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My wife was in the Honors College, they helped her get some scholarships etc. After her Bachelors, she got a full ride for her Master's. After her Master's she got a full ride for her PhD. (Tuition, Insurance, and a Stipend on both her Master's and PhD).

I would say it was worth it. (I didn't go to a Honors College and had to pay for my Master's)

Get more education, they can take a lot of things away from you, but never education.

Last edited by sierrabravo45; 03/31/13.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Rule of thumb in higher education, always take the higher opportunities offered. Worked for me.

I'm not much for rules, but there's a good one.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My daughter was accepted to the Honors College at a large university. Anyone here go that route,

Is this a trick question?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife went through the honors program at the University we attended. She was attending on a Trustee's scholarship so she had a free ride, but the honors was VERY hard. She was an English major and French minor and the science requirement through the honors program was intense. She graduated summa cum laude with honors. It's important for graduate school. Not so much for anything else.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hah -- summa c-u-m laude is bleeped out...

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I guess you should have let her open the box of bullets.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
You've probably done a good enough job of getting her off on the wrong foot already at home.

LMFAO!

grin

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My daughter's in the honor's program at WWU in Bellingham as a freshman. She was also given WUE. It gives her first crack at classes and access to some of the better prof's and advisors. She would not have gone there if it wasn't for these two factor. Also, Bellingham kind of has that coastal AK feel.

She's a bright kid and is not taking cupcake courses. She's not exactly sure of a major yet, but I'm sure it'll be something that will make her decent money.

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I was just up in Bellingham buying a lathe a few months ago. Pretty up there!

Thanks for all the posts folks, I really appreciate it. She'll be in the dorms her first year in part to help her focus on school... I'm hoping that she'll choose the more difficult path here. Toltec put it succinctly and I'll present it to her using that logic. The obstacle here is that things (most things) come so easily to her that she hasn't had to work THAT hard to get to this point. So the idea of being challenged is something that holds some unknown to her. We will work on her as much as a soon to be 18-yr-old can be worked on.

We'll talk in a few years about my HIGH achiever, knock on wood. She is aiming for the stars and I wouldn't bet against her! Carrying a 4.25 GPA and ranked first in her class and will letter in two of the three sports she did her freshman year... she has set her goal as valedictorian then Harvard, and oh yeah, making the soccer team wherever she goes to college. However many moons between then and now so we aren't counting chickens, just supporting her in every way as she goes for it.

Anyway, thanks again.

All the best, gents.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Honors courses here at UAA count as General Education Requirements (GERs.) If a student takes one or two of the first ones and decides they don't want to continue with the Honors College, they haven't "lost" anything.

Being a member of the Honors College should give a student more opportunities than their peers. They may have more scholarship options, maybe early registration, and usually more access to faculty. Many Honors College students have the chance to do graduate-level research as an undergrad. Being a published author/co-author can really help in getting into the student's graduate program of choice.

No matter what, it all comes down to what they make of it.

I'd find out what you're getting for the "extra cost," though.

Support your local brewer.
S
S
This is, surprisingly, JeffO's daughter.
My mother made the mistake of mentioning he posted this, (women, huh?) and I decided to check it out, and had a few things of my own to add to this conversation, seeing as it is about me.

First off, JG Raider, I pity the foo' who would think either my father or I could ever be brainwashed-- especially my *libertarian*-voting father. I think you'll find my feet to be perfectly fine, and I'll ask you mind your manners on the internet next time-- You never know who might be watching!

Calvin, I think I'll be paying for my own liberal indoctrination, thanks! After receiving two major scholarships, one worth $5,000 a year and the other covering the full costs of my tuition and fees, my dad doesn't have TOO much to worry about.

ConradCA, I realize the dangers of my (potential) chosen profession, and perhaps this is why I find it so fascinating. I was raised to respect honesty and integrity (thanks, Dad) and they DO rule in my reporting. If I follow a career in journalism, my main focus and fascination will be and has always been with political and social corruption, perhaps even rooting out some of the problems you see with the modern press! Perhaps someday you'll see some of my work and it will change your mind about all us "propagandists." Keep an eye out!

Toltecgriz, I think this is wise advice and will take it under consideration. (Don't worry, dad, now you won't have to present it!)

I DO have some liberal tendencies, but I think you would all be pleasantly surprised (especially some of the more... Conservative members of this discussion) to find that not all of us journalists are propagandists, not all "Obama-voting" liberals are your enemies, and not all of us who stay out of the military are asking our parents to fork over big bucks for their education. I think you'd find that I share many of the same opinions as you, and that I see the same problems you see with eyes that lack the blinders that come with age.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1OntarioJim, 260Remguy, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,424
Posts18,489,150
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.