-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
How hard is it? My extractor on my 300saum broke and I need to replace it. It appears to be a riveted extractor. Also, how would I go about getting the rest of the old one out? Thanks.

GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Pretty sure they sell a special tool to help installation I think it is a anvil type tool that holds the rivet in place while you peen the rivet...probably more your local smith's job!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I live remote at a fish hatchery, no gunsmith out here. I might just have to mail it off.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It ain't rocket science... The hatchery probably has a modest machine shop... or at least a drill press. Turn a bolt head down to the right od to barely fit the bolt head, assemble, and peen away.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No reason to "turn the bolt head down" at all. Dremel the rivet head, punch it out, install new extractor, get rivet staking tool, rivet and extractor from Brownell's, peen the rivet and go shooting/hunting. If this overwhelms you, send it to a gunsmith and have it done.

Last edited by DocEd; 03/27/13.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
DocEd got it right, the only thing he left out the where you peen the rivet over you will have to smooth out the peened over rivet alittle, if you look at your bolt now you can see where Remington did that. If you order a rivet kits from Brownells get two one for a spare, Last I remember the kits from Brownells come with two rivets. They list all parts in stock, Note!! if your going to buy all the stuff to do it your self, you might as well send your bolt out and have a Sako or AR15 extractor installed, would cost about the same as a do it your self.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rs/extractor-riveted-type-prod10738.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/extractor-parts/extractors/extractor-rivet-prod10870.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...style-riveted-extractor-kit-prod321.aspx

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why anyone considers the Sako or AR extractor an improvment is beyond me... Weakening the bolt head to prevent a problem the vast majority of 700 extractors will never experience is assinine!

Further, the "update" extractors and their installations are far from perfect.

Brownell's has a neat feature where you can find out how many of a given part they sell. The vast majority of cheap parts like extractors are purchased "just in case" and seldom used....

Obviously the 700 extractor can fail... But it is rare enough and minor enough to make extractor conversions ridiculous.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If the Sako or AR extractor was an improvement, Remington would have changed years ago

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I was stateing if he had to go buy a anvil and the kit a Sako extractor would be the way to go.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
What's the break down between the AR and the Sako?

Such as strength, safety, function, cost, etc.

DF

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bea175
If the Sako or AR extractor was an improvement, Remington would have changed years ago

And Savage, too? Maybe one extractor is just cheaper than the other.
If the Remington-style extractor was an improvement, wouldn't ARs and Sako have changed years ago?

To be fair here, though, I have heard of Remington 700s being converted to Sako-style extractors and, like Sitka deer said, they have weakened the bolt enough to have amplified a problem with a case head rupture.

Hypothetically speaking; at least with the non bolt-locking feature of the Remingtons' safety, you will be walking through the brush with your bolt hanging open, and any cartridge left in the chamber has a good chance of falling out without the need for an extractor. Kind of a built-in backup system.
Yep, gotta love those Remingtons.
smile

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
[quote=bea175]If the Sako or AR extractor was an improvement, Remington would have changed years ago

I have heard of Remington 700s being converted to Sako-style extractors and, like Sitka deer said, they have weakened the bolt enough to have amplified a problem with a case head rupture.

smile [/quotte:

I would have to say that weakening of the bolt would be cased by something other than the extractor, more like over loaded cartridges, obstruction in the barrel and that being the case I have seen Remington bolt heads come apart under that condition and even expand to the point that you could not open the bolt. One case comes to mind is a fellow that had a cleaning jag and patch stuck in the barrel and tried to shoot it out, it expanded the bolt head to the point of the bolt handle wouldnt lift, blew the floorplate out of the bottom of the stock. I had to pull the barrel to get it apart. I have used many and I say many Sako extractors in my Remingtons and NEVER had a case head rupture. And I have converted some of my Remington bolts to take the 378 Wby family cartridges and if that dont weaken the bolt head nothing will and again never had a problem with rupture. So I dont think a Sako extractor will case a rupture anymore that a Remington extractor would as if it did no gunsmith in the county would do this conversion and risk being sued. And alot of gunsmith do this conversion

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I didn't mean that the Remington to Sako extractor conversion on a 700 bolt would cause a problem; I have read that it weakens the bolt head enough that if there is a problem such as a casehead rupture (caused by an overload or a barrel obstruction, as you suggested), that the cutout for the Sako extractor allows the gasses to do more damage (possibly to the shooter)than if the rifle had an original Remington extractor.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If you run into problems as a overload or obstruction to that point, I dont think if it had a remington, winchester, ruger, savage, browning, sako, per 64 winchester or AR extractor in it it will cause the same amount of damage. Does a Sako conversion weaking the bolt head some yes, but to what point? would a remington extractor save your life over any of the others? who knows. Like I said I seen a few remingtons like 10 or so blow the floor plates off.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have no plans to swap to a different extractor other than factory. The reason the other one broke is because it sat in the case for a year and corroded, even though I oiled the heck out of it before they went into storage.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
In the real world, if you blow a Remington 700 up, you have done something really STUPID. Remington 700's do not blow up if use the way they are intended for even if you have a Sako or AR extractor installed.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I have no plans to swap to a different extractor other than factory. The reason the other one broke is because it sat in the case for a year and corroded, even though I oiled the heck out of it before they went into storage.

Get a extractor kit and anvil from brownells if you cant find a smith where your at to replace it, or send it to me and I'll install one for you. No problem done 100's of them already.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I never have the Remington extractor replaced with a Sako or M-16 type, the bolt is designed to block and direct gas flow in the event of a ruptured case. In 50 years of shooting Remington 700's and 40X rifles, I have never had a Remington extractor fail. If for some reason it does fail, I recommend having it repaired.

If a person wants a Sako or M-16 style extractor, it may be better to order a Pacific Tool and Gauge replacement bolt body or one piece bolt with the extractor cut manufactured into the bolt body. That way the small firing pin hole can be specified at the same time. The PT&G bolt body is machined from solid bar stock. The Remington bolt is a three piece affair with the bolt head pinned and brazed together, with the bolt handle held on by brazing. Gunsmith installation will be required. That's my opinion anyway.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 03/31/13.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (160user, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,840
Posts18,496,815
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.