Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
As I continue my quest for a CZ 452 American I have noticed that despite having the reputation for outstanding accuracy the factory test targets do not seem to compare to those from other manufacturers. I do see the potential for better grouping with ammo selection.

What have the CZ owners observed comparing actual results versus the demonstrated performance as illustrated with the test target?

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Test target has no bearing on actual accuracy.It was apparently fired only to test functionality.I'm sure it also roughly tests sight alignment but it is in no way a represention of potential accuracy.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I suspected that may be the case with this manufacturer however with several other company's sending targets with small groups produced with match ammo I started to wonder about the disconnect. Thanks

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Chances are any 452 will shoot very well.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Test target has no bearing on actual accuracy.It was apparently fired only to test functionality.I'm sure it also roughly tests sight alignment but it is in no way a represention of potential accuracy.

Very true. I've yet to see a CZ that won't shoot much better than it's test target.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Woods_walker: I have quite a number of friends who own CZ rimfire Rifles, of all calibers (22 Magnum, 22 L.R., 17 HMR and 17 Mach2), and several of these guys own several CZ rimfires. I have yet to hear a complaint about accuracy from any of them.
Yes, I think the CZ rimfires have and have earned their reputation for accuracy.
I have no idea what so ever the purpose of what CZ's "factory test targets" is - I would assume it is to test both accuracy and functionality.
The only factory test targets I have trusted completely over the decades are those that come from Remingtons Custom Shop that are serial numbered to and come with their 40X line of Rifles.
The Remington folks actually go to the trouble of making VERY accurate ammunition (in their centerfire 40X's) and have top quality high power scopes for use on their Rifles in their shooting tunnel.
In fact, I did not know that CZ included factory test targets with their Rifles.
As with so many things anymore you pay's your money and you takes your chances - but with the CZ line-up of rimfire Rifles so often attaining good to excellent accuracy that it's pretty much a done deal.
If by chance you were to get a poor shooter the company would probably work with you (I am not aware of an instance of this specifically) to alleviate that problem - or this, they resell rather easily.
One instance along these lines that I will relay though is my close friend here in SW Montana that bought a heavy barrel CZ in caliber 17 Mach2 about 4 years ago. This Rifle is so amazingly accurate that I choose at this time not to relay the results of a 5 shot group at 100 yards I saw my friend make with it - other than to say it was the SMALLEST group (5 shots at 100 yards) I have ever seen made with a rimfire of any kind!
Anyway my friend loved the Rifle so much he sent away for another one exactly like it about a year later.
When the new Rifle arrived he inspected the bore with his Hawkeye Borescope and found that it was uniformly rusted and pitted - he surmised that it had been blued with poor plugs in the barrel and allowed to sit without being properly cleaned of something.
Anyway he sent it back to the CZ folks and they relayed to him that they had quit producing Rifles in that caliber and had no replacement barrel for it.
They offered him the same model in caliber 17 HMR free of charge and he decided to give that a try.
That new CZ in 17 HMR also shoots quite well.
So the CZ folks, on the probably rare occassion they are called on to help out, do so.
Best of luck if you decide to try one (or another one).
The only reason I have not jumped on the CZ bandwagon is the bassackwards safety.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I appreciate the feedback. I stopped by my local GS at lunch. They normally have several of each of the CZ rimfire models in stock but as I suspected they are cleaned out. Did say they placed a large order at the Shot Show which is over due and expected within the next several weeks. I am also following through on several other leads.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
As stated above, those targets are basically for function testing.

The target that came with my 455 American was about an inch in diameter at who knows what distance.

My rifle, off the bench at 50 yards, using match ammo, averages about 1/4" groups using a Weaver 4x16 AO scope. I am very happy with the 455, backwards safety or no. Most of my shooting is off the bench with it and I never use the safety. Excellent rifles, best bang your buck in my opinion.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Proof that the accuracy isn't what they're testing, is the .22 Magnum barrel I bought for my 455.

It was just an accessory barrel, no rifle attached to it, and yet, there was still a factory test target for the barrel. I took it with a grain of salt, just like the other two barrels (.22LR and .17HMR) that came with the action, their test targets were nothing to write home about, and yet, both shoot quite well when fed what they like.

Then again, I've never seen an HMR shoot poorly. I'm sure some do, but I've not seen one yet.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
My test target looked average. I agree that factory firing is for function check. I put a trigger kit and free floated barrel and had fantastic results with Wolf MT, 1/2" at 50 yards. Mine is 452 American and the only flaw in design is the safety is ass backwards. I think you will love it. Good shooting

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
with a 4.5 x 14 scope on top of it and a solid rest on a fence post... mine ( which has way over 30,000 rounds down the barrel ) will still do head shots on sage rats out to a 125 yds all day long...

the rifle will probably do better still, but that is about the reliable performance from the owner...

and that is with Walmart bulk ammo... 22LR.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree, a CZ is hard to beat for the $$$. I just purchased my third CZ 452 American this past week. I've got about six rimfires including Remington, S&W, Browning and CZ for plinking with my kids. We love to shoot them all but when we have a shoot off my kids won't allow the use of the CZ's because the are so accurate. It's the only rifles we use for hunting squirrels. Now if we can just keep a steady supply of ammo things will be grand.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had a CZ in 17MK 11

Couldn't get used to the bass ackward saifty and sold it, although it shot GREAT.

Soon regreted it and bought another CZ.

This time a CZ Scout 22LR "boys rifle" Another GREAT shooter!

I don't use the saifty,
I just don't chamber a round untill I'm ready to shoot! Simple solution to the problem!

And YES this rifle shoots better than the test target.

Virgil B.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A test target is not an adequate statistical sampling to determine the accuracy potential of a rifle. Very limited. As others have pointed out, it is a test of function, and basic alignment.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pro tip: buy a 452 or 453 find your way into a bunch of wolf match ammo or to a lesser extent, CCI SV, and piss all over test targets.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
woods walker,

Test targets from the factory have always been my criteria for buying a rifle. I pull the targets out of the factory box and if the holes aren't all touching then I start whining.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
i have several cz 452 american's in .22lr and .17hmr and they are outstanding rifles that i dearly treasure. i will echo the previous posters about cz "test target" is for function only as mine are all american's which have no iron sights and the dovetail for the scope mounts aren't scratched which they would be if rings were mounted. i mean i couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a slick barrel rifle w/o a scope. so it has to be just a function test and not an accuracy test. if you can find a cz 452 american you better snap it up as they were supposedly dc'd like 2 yrs ago.
good luck,
whitearrow

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
My background with the rimfire test targets has personally been with Kimbers and wanted to get your take on the CZ targets as the ones I had observed did not seem to live up to the CZ reputation for accuracy. I do prefer a rifle with a target that shows what I'd call inherent accuracy however a Ruger 77/22 I currently have of course came with no target and can give my Kimber a run for the money when using CCI Sub Sonics in both Rifles. I certainly intend to find a CZ 452 American and see what they are all about.
I have included the test target from my Kimber so that you can appreciate the basis of my initial question.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry for the crappy pic but here is one of mine. It measures .330" CTC for 5 shots at 50m. I have two of them and they both shoot crazy accurate.

[Linked Image]

A government, to afford the needful protection and exercise proper care for the welfare of a people, must have homogeneity in its constituents.

-Jefferson Davis
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thats what I'm talking about... Very nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,714
Posts18,494,515
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.