Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, now that the small game seasons are winding down in most areas, this forum will probably go to sleep for a while. Just thought I'd ask everyone that posts here[if you squirrel hunt], do you have very many hunters in the area you hunt? Other than myself, my son and one buddy, I don't know anyone that hunts the little devils anymore. On the bright side, I'm having fun picking up ground to hunt them[so far pretty easy], but nobody hunts them here, anymore. what about where you hunt?

maddog

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I usually hunt them south of me in Spencer and Elletsville. Maddog knows where that is. I'm the only one hunting them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There aren't too many squirrel hunters in this part of the country any more. I've loved hunting squirrels since I was just a kid. My first hunting experiences were with a .22 rifle or a single shot shotgun and gray squirrels. I still enjoy a leisurely squirrel hunt with a fine .22 rifle.

μολὼν λαβέ
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I could just about copy TN rifleman's post and not be off very much. Biggest difference would be my favorite rifle is a 36 cal. Southern Mountain flintlock. I know there are still more than a few Dad's who take their sons and daughters but that is state wide. Locally I don't believe there are many.

Our season just closed 3 days ago and opens again the Saturday before Memorial Day.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't personally know anyone other than a family in Orange/Crawford county that hunts for them regularly. They have a big get together or Labor Day and often kill over 200 in three days.

My grandpa Joe knows a father/son team in Gibson Co that kill about 150 each a year.

I'm planning on knocking on some doors in the next few months to try to find a few places closer to home to hunt them. Finding a woods in my neck of the state without a big, expensive home in the middle of it is the hard part...

IC B2

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Hey pointer, good luck! I've got a list of new guys to ask for next year, on top of the places I already have. If they all would say yes, that would give me 35+ woods to hunt next season! grin

I intend to hunt the he*l outta those limb chickens next year, again.

maddog

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The places I deer hunt are just packed with squirrels. Huge multi colored fox squirrels and greys. They get to be annoying while deer hunting. Not many people squirrel hunt any more. There use to be an old guy that would take all I would give him. Since he is gone I just don't shoot them any more. Don't feel like eating them

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I keep it a secret in the valley of CA.....MO roots taught me to love rabbits and squirrel. My dad, granddad ma, etc during the dirty 30's and depression ate alot of cottontail rabbits, and sold them to people in St Louis MO for money. Times were very hard then.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I love squirrel hunting, and sometimes feel like I enjoy it more than deer hunting. More and more though, the areas I like to hunt are infested with archery deer hunters. I've been b*tched at more than a couple of times by camo clad bow hunters who think the woods belong to them from September to November. It gets old after a while. One guy got particularly upset because I switched from a .22 one day to a shotgun (there are grouse there too). A couple of missed shots at grouse, plus three or four squirrels in the bag had that hollow reverberating with shotgun blasts. He stomped away in a huff when I politely pointed out that I had as much right to do my thing as he did, and that had I known he was set up down in there I would have gone someplace else. The thing about archery hunters is they are so well hidden that you can't see them 'til you're on top of them, making them difficult to avoid.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not too many in my area of Pa.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty much everyone that I hang with squirrel hunts. We have a one day squirrel hunting bonanza every year with a point system to determine winner.

CK
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
MT spose there a few but hard pressed.grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
But not like duck or kubota.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I love squirrel hunting, and sometimes feel like I enjoy it more than deer hunting.

I also prefer squirrel hunting to deer. Luckily we have lots of places here to hunt tree rats and very few folks that actually hunt them.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by digger44
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I love squirrel hunting, and sometimes feel like I enjoy it more than deer hunting.

I also prefer squirrel hunting to deer. Luckily we have lots of places here to hunt tree rats and very few folks that actually hunt them.

x3. Just something about getting out the 22lr and going out to get some squirrels, just a damn good time. In Iowa, the numbers are great and they are a treat to eat, I don't care what people say.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
No help here but wish I could..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Small game hunting has definitely taken a back seat in my area. Not manly enough for the I shoot a 180 class buck every year guys. Having just said such a derogatory statement I don't hunt them much anymore myself as I just don't get to spend much time in the field or on the lake anymore. That is definitely one of the things I plan on addressing when I retire in the next few years. I was thinking about that this deer season while dragging my buddys deer out of a holler ( he was about 3 mo off a heart attack and I thought I was about 3 min away from one) It struck me that we have both killed numerous deer over the years and we are both crowding 60 so maybe we should spend more time leisurely chasing smaller game with our 22's and shotguns and leave the heavy lifting to the young bucks.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not too many pursue squirrels specifically.....usually they are targets of opportunity while hunting other game (grouse, pheasant, ect). Sad....because that's about all we have huntable numbers of anymore on state land. I've started chasing them again the past couple of years using a .22 rifle or a muzzleloading shotgun.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I know one other person who chases them as much as I do, but he ends it as soon as bow season begins.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by J23; 03/30/13.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First year in a long time I didn't make at least one pot of Brunswick stew with squirrels. I usually shoot about a dozen a season.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,808
Posts18,477,541
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.