N
http://vimeo.com/57746547

looks interesting... looks similar to the stone glacier pack

would like to see it up against the longbow

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I actually stopped by MRs shop on Saturday. I even got to see a Metcalf

It kind of looks like a Longbow humped a CrewCab in their shop when they weren't looking.

It should be a pretty cheap bag too, I think Ryan said 260 bucks is where it should come in at. Also, it's pretty light weight for a NICE bag.

Now, if they'd just use better stays, I'd be ooberhappy.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Looks like a neat pack. It may even replace my crew cab when I see more in depth reviews. Mystery Ranch is really dropping the ball as far as showing there products on there website. I have been interested in a overload alpha but there site don't show any good pics of them on people with loads. The only pics I can find online are of people that don't really seem to know to adjust a pack or just want to see pics if themselves on the Internet. Also in the video I would like to know an adjustable frame sheet has anything to do with a properly adjusted load lifter on a dude that's 6'4" with a frame as short as the NICE system. I like Mystery Ranch products but beleive they are falling behind the curve.

Warren

Pardon my fat fingered I-phone typing
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have said it on other forums, and I will say it here. MR makes some quality equipment, but they are behind in the lightweight world. Make a lightweight frame with load lifters that function for the tall guys and I would buy it in a heartbeat!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The pictures on the MR site sure make it look like a lot of weight going AWAY from the body. I like my MR longbow. I can still compress loads between the bag and frame. Not sure I'll pony up $260 to do it a little lighter.

Going to hold my money to see what HPG has coming in the way of a ext. frame.

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I am just putting together my Crew Cab set-up just to give this pack a try. The Metcalf looks good and I hope reviews are good. I agree that MR stuff is good, but they seem to be lagging Kifaru in the innovation area. And the weight......

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Looks like it was designed to wow ignorant people at the SHOT show.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I don't have a Metcalf. But I do have an older Crew Cab.

Is it heavier than some of the latest offerings? Yes indeed.

But it is rugged and dependable season after season. And I haven't even tried hauling 120 lb loads like Kurt and some others on here do.

I would be very surprised if the newer superlight packs can withstand the punishment and long term wear that the slightly beefier packs can.

If they do, I might get one...in five years when the reviews are in, the prices have come down, and you have a good idea of what you are actually getting.

I did like the frame extension on the Metcalf, but can't help but wonder how much real world difference it makes.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oldslowdog

I did like the frame extension on the Metcalf, but can't help but wonder how much real world difference it makes.....

It will make a huge difference, I quit using my longbow and only used my 6500 even for day trips cause of the fact that the standard NICE frame without the extensions was just not comfy for me compared to the 6500 with the extension. Once you try a NICE bag with the extension you'll "see the light", however if you are happy with your crewcab rock on man, sometimes "ignorance is bliss" laugh Just what I thought after using the NICE with and w/o frame extension style packs. The metcalf is a cool design and it is the first daypack I'd run from MR instead of a 6500 if given the chance.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I am fortunate in that I can use either the original NICE or my 6500 OK one in comfort. I like the original, one of if not the first to come to Canada and I now have a Wolf Alpha on it as my hunting "daypack". I had a Crewcab, but, could never really warm to it and I do like both my NICE rigs VERY much.

I don't see ANY other pack maker being ahead of MR in building durable, comfortable packs and their customer service absolutely beats ANY other manufacturer I have ever dealt with.

Yeah, a 3 lb, lighter pack would be cool and maybe they will make one someday, but, the packs they DO make will outwork any I have seen/used in almost a half century of active backpack camping/hunting and only McHale is MAYBE a bit beyond.

But, if someone else's pack, Patrick's or whomever, feels better to anyone, wonderful, we are bloody lucky to have this great selection to suit all of us! smile

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kutenay
I am fortunate in that I can use either the original NICE or my 6500 OK one in comfort. I like the original, one of if not the first to come to Canada and I now have a Wolf Alpha on it as my hunting "daypack". I had a Crewcab, but, could never really warm to it and I do like both my NICE rigs VERY much.

I don't see ANY other pack maker being ahead of MR in building durable, comfortable packs and their customer service absolutely beats ANY other manufacturer I have ever dealt with.

Yeah, a 3 lb, lighter pack would be cool and maybe they will make one someday, but, the packs they DO make will outwork any I have seen/used in almost a half century of active backpack camping/hunting and only McHale is MAYBE a bit beyond.

But, if someone else's pack, Patrick's or whomever, feels better to anyone, wonderful, we are bloody lucky to have this great selection to suit all of us! smile

Kute,

Does the Wolf Alpha have frame extensions similar to the 6500??

Do you feel the original NICE carries 100+ pound loads as well as the NICE 6500?? Just curious as I found this to NOT be the case. Funny how different packs fit folks differently.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Looks like it was designed to wow ignorant people at the SHOT show.

Well color me ignorant, but you already knew that laugh But I thought hte Metcalf is a pretty cool design really and the coolest pack bag MR has come out with in quite some time.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Alaska,

Yes, the higher angle of the lifters, so important to so many IS the same in the Wolf Alpha and the 6500 bags that I now have. They really are the SAME bag, just different sizes and the Wolf is adequate for 3-4 day hunts in warm weather if you are hunting "bivy" style and just for deer and grouse.

OK, I have packed, in training, roughly 100 lbs in total in both and while the original NICE is good with that weight, it feels "maxed out" to me. I CAN pack a BIT more with the 6500-NICE OK frame setup, but, given my damaged legs and distorted spine, plus my doctor really gives me major grief as I hurt myself last July and was on Oxycodone for awhile due to it, I will not only pack 75 lbs, max and that is enough at 66.

For an extreme situation, I have three of the wonderful Dana Terraframe packs and will use them if I happen to get a chance at a moose within the distance doable for we old pharts. I have turned down a few elk and a number of legal moose because I knew I could never pack them out before they soured.

So, from what you are saying and your trips,skills and gear opinions impress me very much, I am inclined to think that a 6500 or 7500 NICE would work best for you.

There is a pack that EdT is using, he might post alink to it that looks pretty skookum and very functional. But, IF I do buy one last pack, it WILL be a large model McHale, no question.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gotta laugh when guys refer to a bag that will hold nearly and entire elk as a .. daypack. I've had a dozen or so 100# +/- trips with the Metcalf, 40+ days using it, not a bad one, and I wasn't using the final version. It's on my must have list.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Gotta laugh when guys refer to a bag that will hold nearly and entire elk as a .. daypack. I've had a dozen or so 100# +/- trips with the Metcalf, 40+ days using it, not a bad one, and I wasn't using the final version. It's on my must have list.

Sorry, I just don't day hunt with anything smaller than 3000 cu in, what the point of hunting with a pack that you can't carry the animal or a good portion back out. Granted I don't pack out as many animals in a decade as you do in a single season, but I have found that smaller packs smaller than such just cube out too fast for my uses for a daypack when I end up packing stuff out.

Kute,

I've carried 7 mountain goats out with the NICE 6500 a couple sheep and caribou as well and found that it carried the weight much better than when I tried to pack a bear out with the Longbow so it is "SO" important appaarently to me. Its great that it doesn't make a difference for you no matter if its there or not. Sorry I asked the question sir, just trying to see if you had a similar experience, I apologize for asking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well Kurt,

Since you have more pull with the guys at MR, why don't you suggest that they use a stay that won't cave like a cheap card table when you bang an average sized asain hooker on it???

Really...

I got all excited when I heard they were using a carbon fiber stay in the Metcalf, but it really isn't any better than the flimsy aluminum that they use in the 6500.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Packing in for 5-6 days, would you recommed this pack? I've got a Longbow and was considering a lid and a couple rip zip pockets, but would like opinions.

Thanks,

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yes

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Just ordered one yesterday. Done so much with my NICE frame and bags I can't see spending a grand on the newest Kifaru. Should be just right.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have the original crew cab and frame. With 30-40 lbs it's alright but last year I helped pack out a friends elk with about 90 and it killed my shoulders. Can the lift extensions be put on my frame?

lefty

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,141
Posts18,484,085
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.