Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had a chance to shoot my 50 gr loads this afternoon and I was less than impressed. I was looking for 1/2" or better and got over twice that.

Until I shot the 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips that I brought along as an afterthought!

My goal has been to find one load that shoots lights out in three different rifles. One bullet, one charge, one seating depth. My brother's Tikka (1 in 8" twist) loved 26.5 gr of Benchmark and a 50 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip loaded at 2.262". His Tikka, unlike my 1 in 12" twist Weatherby, is limited to magazine length.

I got a bunch of 50 gr VMax so I loaded them with the same charge at the same OAL, even though my mag is 2.335" and the NBT just kisses the lands at 2.318". I didn't measure the distance to the lands with the VMax because I'm limited by my brother's Tikka.

The groups weren't spectacular. While I let the barrel cool I looked at some other loads I brought. Among them was a box of 40 gr NBT over 27 grains of Benchmark, loaded just off the lands at 2.318". The target at 100 yards was pretty shot up so I used the upper circle as my aiming point. Five rounds later and I was looking at a 0.410" group.

[Linked Image]

I shot the rest of the box and got consistent half-inch or slightly better groups. Recoil was like shooting a .22.

I'm going to load a bunch more of these, and then load the 50 gr VMax just off the lands and see if they shoot better seated farther out. My dream of one load for 3 guns is gone, but if I can get 0.410" groups I won't complain.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
40 grainers beam the gophers into deep space, widest angle of dispersion. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Agreed - 40 grain NBTs and the 223 are a match made in heaven, I use them for everything from gophers to coyotes.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
There has been a lot of discussion on this and other sites about the 223 shooting lights out with 40 gr. vmax. I am familiar with 4 223's that shot 40's better than any other bullets tried.

Funny thing though, after a honey moon time period, then they all started shooting 50's into tiny holes. Three of the guns were cz527's and one custom barreled sako. Food for thought.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by FredWillis
There has been a lot of discussion on this and other sites about the 223 shooting lights out with 40 gr. vmax. I am familiar with 4 223's that shot 40's better than any other bullets tried.

Funny thing though, after a honey moon time period, then they all started shooting 50's into tiny holes. Three of the guns were cz527's and one custom barreled sako. Food for thought.

I hope to get my rifle to shoot 50's as well. I need to measure the OAL as kissing the lands and go from there.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I try to seat bullets about 10 thousands off the lands on all of my guns. I just do not want the bullet to touch the lands. I have tried different depth seating but never found any proof it made any appreciable difference in group size.

A point of interest. A friend loads 40 gr. vmax with benchmark. On a ladder test, there is a full grain from low to high that shoots 1/4" groups with absolute consistency. Something I have not previously seen happen with the variation of powder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
40g NBTs and RL-7 is my sweet load for a .223 and a AR. I'm getting 3925FPS out of the .223 (26" barrel and a 6" suppressor" and right at 3455FPS out of the AR.

Generous load of RL-7, Generous.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I ordered 1500 40 grain VMax bullets today. I hope they shoot as well as the NBTs.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What twist are you all shooting?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BarryC
What twist are you all shooting?

1 in 12.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I shoot the 40gr in a 9 twist gas gun, excellent PD medicine!!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Pharmseller: You might try 26.0g Benchmark and 50g VMax. This load works well in several of my 223's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A couple powders - AA2015 and VV133 - have shot best in my 223/223AI's, and certain particular loads have shot well in a couple different guns. These have the same 14" twist. But one load being optimum in 3 different guns with different chambers and greatly different twist rates would be a huge fluke.

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I have also had very good results with 40 grain bullets in my 223. BlitzKings shoot best in my rifle, but the V Max and NBTs shoot very well too.
I was getting some good results with 55 grain BlitzKings but I don't have many left . I am glad I have lots of 40s.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Pharmseller: Your "goal" reminds me of several of my shooting buddies who have tried the same thing in the past - for reloading simplification in each case.
I have NEVER tried such a feat myself being under the impression that each Rifle is an individual and that would be a lot to expect of one loading.
I am not aware that any of my shooting friends have ever been real successful at this endeavor.
The "worst" instance of this endeavor (finding one magic load for a batch of Rifles) was my good friend Tom from north Seattle.
He had three sons and a wife that all owned 223 Varmint Rifles as did he!
Anyway he tried for several YEARS to find one "load" that would be very accurate in all 5 (five) Rifles and thus allow him to pump out ammo at a simpler and faster pace.
He eventually gave up in exasperation but did settle on a loading that gave "acceptable" accuracy in all 5 (five).
I don't know how many times I saw him at our S.P.A.A. range there on the tideflats of Seattle with all 5 (five!) Rifles trying new loads, trying to find that one magic load that would provide great accuracy in each gun?
I am happy for you in finding one loading that works so well in ONE Rifle.
Good luck in your venture.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
As several have mentioned, trying to get one load for three rifles with different twist rates is a piece of magic if you can pull it off.

Seating depth for each rifle varies, and it does make a huge difference if you are wanting to shoot groups that in the .200-.375 range. As others have mentioned previously, "find pressure, kiss the lands, call it done".

If I were to engage on this project for multiple rifles with different factory chambers with varying throat lengths and twist rates, I would setting on a 5/8"-3/4" group and call it done. If you have 5 custom guns cut with the same reamer, you have another set of criteria that you can manage.

Use wind flags, best accuracy investment you can purchase. Buy them one time, and pass them down to your kids when you die.

Last edited by keith; 04/07/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Pharmseller: Your "goal" reminds me of several of my shooting buddies who have tried the same thing in the past - for reloading simplification in each case.
I have NEVER tried such a feat myself being under the impression that each Rifle is an individual and that would be a lot to expect of one loading.
I am not aware that any of my shooting friends have ever been real successful at this endeavor.
The "worst" instance of this endeavor (finding one magic load for a batch of Rifles) was my good friend Tom from north Seattle.
He had three sons and a wife that all owned 223 Varmint Rifles as did he!
Anyway he tried for several YEARS to find one "load" that would be very accurate in all 5 (five) Rifles and thus allow him to pump out ammo at a simpler and faster pace.
He eventually gave up in exasperation but did settle on a loading that gave "acceptable" accuracy in all 5 (five).
I don't know how many times I saw him at our S.P.A.A. range there on the tideflats of Seattle with all 5 (five!) Rifles trying new loads, trying to find that one magic load that would provide great accuracy in each gun?
I am happy for you in finding one loading that works so well in ONE Rifle.
Good luck in your venture.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

In the end it would have been cheaper for him to buy a few different components and taylor the loads for the guns, I bet it owuldn't have taken long either. I'm sure you know how some guys are when they get an idea in their heads confused

Gerry.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have an AR with an 18in SS 1 in 8 Wylde barrel from Montana Barrel that will put five factory Remington 50gr HP's into 3/4 MOA, and the load prints right on top of where 77gr SMK's shoot at 100yd. Hard to complain with that.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,011
Posts18,481,517
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.