Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My thoughts as an outsider. I think the way Brn Bear has handled this looks like a bitter attack. I called Phil myself about a hunt because of his good reputation. (I did decide later to hunt on Kodiak as it's been my dream.) But as someone who researches hunts and looks to spend my money wisely, good honest info is mandatory. If someone who represents Phil has old, outdated, and yes untrue information, and Phil knows of it, I think he has an obligation to correct it. Just my 2 cents.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think one of the biggest, most offensive "lies" people use in misrepresenting their work or business on the internet involves the use of pictures which aren't current. That could mean any number of misleading details ranging from pictures of younger, better looking people who perhaps now have wrinkles, to nice, large trophies which are long dead, and perhaps not even evident in the gene pool. And who has a website (or avatar) that doesn't bear some guilt in that regard? That is a much greater infraction than the minor detail over which this thread was originally derailed, but even old pics aren't really that big a deal anyway IMO.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by scottf270
. If someone who represents Phil has old, outdated, and yes untrue information, and Phil knows of it, I think he has an obligation to correct it. Just my 2 cents.

Scott, that is true, and I tried to explain to brown bear , who ever he may be, that booking agents are not employees of outfitters and in fact may have never even contacted the outfitter before trying to sell his hunts. That has happened to me on a few occasions and the only way I find out is when they call me to tell me they have a hunter for me, and then ask for a cut.
For everyone's information here, I have basically stayed booked up simply by word of mouth for the last thirty years, so no need to pay some stranger 15% of the gross for nothing. But occasionally, especially when I lived year around in the bush without phone contact, and would get cancellations I would contact booking agents to find clients.
This is most likely where brown bear got confused, and he seems easily confused, but unless a guide and contractor uses the same agent often, they have no idea of what they are putting out there. I could write an entire article on crooked booking agents - and another on good ones.
But this entire thread got side tracked with an accusation that I was a liar - for what I can gather was something some un-named booking agent claimed !! It certainly would have helped if he had started out telling me that xxxxx was saying something he believed to be false, rather than attacking me.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrnBear
I may look stupid, but I'm not.

If it looks, sounds and walks like a duck.......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think the entire issue is ridiculous...obviously this is someone jealous of Phils reputation and success as an outfitter.

I have seen this sort of nonsense in the outfitting business;creating issues from non-issues in order to discredit someone else is the practice of a feeble mind. smirk

Some folks should grow up.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by BrnBear
I may look stupid, but I'm not.

If it looks, sounds and walks like a duck.......

I was thinking the same thing. Who does this jerk, BrnBear, think he is attacking Phil, a man whose reputation in the hunting/guiding industry is impeccable and has been so for many, many years.

Reckon BrnBear is yet another incarnation of the old weirdo Larry Root?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
BrnBear has some big issues Phil. Your just this week's target.

BrnBear, please get some help for whatever bug is up your posterior.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Nope.

TJ is someone else.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I think the entire issue is ridiculous...obviously this is someone jealous of Phils reputation and success as an outfitter.

I have seen this sort of nonsense in the outfitting business;creating issues from non-issues in order to discredit someone else is the practice of a feeble mind. smirk

Some folks should grow up.

It's pretty obvious that some folks here know who this BB/TJ is, and he could be a generally decent guy who has a peculiar issue or two, one of which is that he has it in for Phil - jealousy or envy being at the root of it without question. It also says a lot about the people who know who the troublemaker is that they haven't publicly posted his identity all over for all to see. (He might also be a complete loser, no-good character. In either case, it's pretty obvious how this accusation makes him look.)

This seems somewhat akin to what you hear in the major dog-mushing world as well. If your name is Seavey, Mackey, Swenson, Butcher, Buser, King, etc, there are people who talk. As with most things, if you're a winner, there are some who will assume that you cheat somehow. Phil has a winning reputation, so guess what?

Alaska is a big place with a small-town feel. People know too much, but not enough which sometimes leads to stupid stuff.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

Nope.

TJ is someone else.

If not Root then a weirdo cut from the same cloth?

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I don't know him, just did some sleuthin'.

Can't speculate on the 'problem'.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He has some problems for sure and for certain.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To do my part to settle this argument I am willing to buy a airline ticket ( at my own expense even) and fly up for say 15 days to evaluate this MR Shoemaker, I am how ever booker up working until about May 10th.

Last edited by elim; 04/07/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After this fiasco you might be wise to check references on the pilot, as well as the booking agent and outfitter. grin

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by akjeff
BrnBear,

I do wish that you would tell us who you are, and if you are a commercial pilot, I'd love to know who you fly for. My work has me chartering fixed/rotary wing aircraft all over the state, and I'd rather not unknowingly hop in a plane with you, as you obviously have "issues". Not sure what what axe you're grinding, or what petty jealousies you hold, and I don't really care. I'd just like to stay out of your aircraft!

You may not think so, but you sound nuttier than squirrell schidt!

Jeff
You can say that again. I'm glad he isn't flying over my house.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by akjeff
BrnBear,

I do wish that you would tell us who you are, and if you are a commercial pilot, I'd love to know who you fly for. My work has me chartering fixed/rotary wing aircraft all over the state, and I'd rather not unknowingly hop in a plane with you, as you obviously have "issues". Not sure what what axe you're grinding, or what petty jealousies you hold, and I don't really care. I'd just like to stay out of your aircraft!

You may not think so, but you sound nuttier than squirrell schidt!

Jeff
You can say that again. I'm glad he isn't flying over my house.

Yeah, his posts are just creepy. It seems like he spends a good amount of his time stalking Phil. It sounds like a case of unrequited love.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Klik, it doesn't require much in the way of fortitude,to take gratuitous swings at others from under the cover of anonymity. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Lhook7
Yeah, his posts are just creepy. It seems like he spends a good amount of his time stalking Phil.

Phil's dealt with worse brown bears. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It must be a jealousy thing since Phil takes big bears every year.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Don't know if this is the brownbear dude or not but he posted this pic a few years ago.........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v642/Hinkle1/Bears/Jimsbear2.jpg

Maybe somebody recognizes the guy or the names in the http: thing?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,272
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.