Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by wildfowl
Forgot to mention my rifles at .50 cal

460 gr No Excuse bullet and 110 grs 777, and a peep sight mounted on your rifle.

Gunner

Trump Won!
GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My TC Omega won't shoot any of the Thors, but that silver PB with 90-100 of BH 209 shoots a tight group at 200 yds.

The reason 45 cal. Is not allowed in Co. I think, is because of the guides cussing and raising hell over all the wasted elk they find that was lost with a 50 cal. Round ball. Yes, a long heavy 45 would be much better but but most would probably use a round ball.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by dinkshooter
Originally Posted by Harvdog
Buddies Powebelt Double Lung

[Linked Image]

That is less than impressive.

What's not impressive. I dug one out that was identical to the one shown last year from a dead elk. She went about 50 yards before falling over. The PB was under the hide on the far side. You put a 1/2" hole, thru both lungs of an elk that isn't too far back and they die pretty quick.It doesn't make too much difference what that 1/2 " diameter bullet is made of.
I don't get it, hunters load a PB with 150 grains of powder and the complain that it blows apart when it is designed for a slower velocity. Then when it works as it is suppose to they say it is unimpressive. The same rules apply for selecting a ML bullet as it does for a center fire rifle bullet. You pick one designed to work on the game you intend to use it for and the drive it at the velocities it was designed.

I've killed elk with round lead balls, lead maxi-balls and Power Belts. I haven't seen any difference in the killing ability of any of them. It ain't rocket science, but I guess there is a group of hunters out there that continually look for an all encompassing bullet that will work 100% of the time if they screw up.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All the powerbelts I've recovered from elk have been just under the off-side hide but flat as a pancake, are those that you guys have that aren't expanded new ones or something?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
What I find funny is these clowns that use pb's and they show pics like the above where it is hardly dented and then you got the other camp that says theirs blows up to tiny fragments.....so I ask myself why do these guys keep using these junky bullets that are so inconsistent?
You either have to load em to a snails pace to perform and then complain when they don't expand or jet em out at high speed and watch em blow up!!!
I don't understand that mentality....just use a freakin bullet that is consistant or at least much much more consistant like a barnes....good grief you can load them fast slow it don't matter they perform.
As far as I'm concerned they can take pb's and use em for paper only.
Biggest pieces of junk ever invented, and before you guys try to give me grief over them....I know of several people first hand that used (yeah...USED) them and no longer do.
Fortunally for me I was smart from the get to and started out with the best = barnes.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What I find funny are the clowns that used 2-3 times the cost of regular bullets for Barnes when a good lead bullet will do the job. Then if that don't work they still blame the bullet instead of the nut on the trigger. Probably the same with those that USE to use PB's. Just wonder how many elk these guys have killed. Definitely those guys have more money than brains.

What's wrong with cutting a 1/2 "hole thru and animal. Almost every center fire rifle does the same thing from a .243 to 45 caliber.

Give me any 50 caliber muzzle loader bullet on the market and I can go kill elk with it and you won't hear me whinning about losing an elk because the bullet isn't up to the task.

Fortunately for me ,I was smart enough to sift out the marketing hype and not waste my money. Of course the reply will be the cost of the bullet is the smallest part of the hunt. What BS that is.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/08/13.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by dinkshooter
Originally Posted by Harvdog
Buddies Powebelt Double Lung

[Linked Image]

That is less than impressive.

What's not impressive. I dug one out that was identical to the one shown last year from a dead elk. She went about 50 yards before falling over. The PB was under the hide on the far side. You put a 1/2" hole, thru both lungs of an elk that isn't too far back and they die pretty quick.It doesn't make too much difference what that 1/2 " diameter bullet is made of.
I don't get it, hunters load a PB with 150 grains of powder and the complain that it blows apart when it is designed for a slower velocity. Then when it works as it is suppose to they say it is unimpressive. The same rules apply for selecting a ML bullet as it does for a center fire rifle bullet. You pick one designed to work on the game you intend to use it for and the drive it at the velocities it was designed.

I've killed elk with round lead balls, lead maxi-balls and Power Belts. I haven't seen any difference in the killing ability of any of them. It ain't rocket science, but I guess there is a group of hunters out there that continually look for an all encompassing bullet that will work 100% of the time if they screw up.

I�m thinking it was not impressive because even a round ball expands and mushrooms better than that thing looks like it did.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
What I find funny are the clowns that used 2-3 times the cost of regular bullets for Barnes when a good lead bullet will do the job.

Personally, I've never had a problem with a PB on elk or deer, so I'll keep using 'em.

But what I find funny are the clowns that suggest a Barnes bullet as "the answer," because you can't use 'em without a sabot, and not everyone can legally use sabots.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Uh.......

Laffin'

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Oh and I just did a little research and found that pb's and barnes MZ's are roughly the same price +\- a few dollars so you can throw the cost effective argument out the window too.

Laffin'

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
+/- a few dollars per what? Bullet?

Cast some lead bullets and be done with it. They've worked for hundreds of years. Why change now?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tom264
Uh.......

Laffin'

Well, if you meant Thor's, why didn't you say so?

I'm laffin too. But what I'm laffin at is a guy who thinks "first-hand" is knowing of someobody who told him about something. I've shot 6 or 8 elk with powerbelts, and none got away. That's "first-hand."

...I know of several people first hand that used (yeah...USED) them and no longer do.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't know beans about muzzyloading but I do know this is a lot deadlier looking than that green tipped thingy. In fact that green tipped thingy looks like a field point for an arrow.

Anyone ever shoot a elk with a Thor?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by dinkshooter; 04/08/13.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by BrentD

No per 50...

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Thor bullets are barnes.......

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BrentD

No per 50...

Not bad, if you don't shoot much. But if you do, that's a huge increase. Most guys that shoot a lot and are serious shooters make their own.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Funny, millions of bison were killed with pure lead bullets mostly cast over a campfire.2000 lbs. or so vs a 500 lb elk. Gosh these elk must be getting tough. Like Smokepole, my experience is 1st hand.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm not trying to shoot a bison. I'm trying to shoot an elk.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thor bullets are barnes.......

If you say "Barnes muzzleloader bullet" that includes several different saboted bullets that are not Thors. So if you're talking about Thors, just say so.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just got what I hope will be my bullet for elk this year: Bullshop. 100 bullets $34 delivered. 460 gr of lead. Will be trying them shortly.

That said, PBs may work for lots, power to them, but there are better/cheaper bullets. The Hornady FPB has taken down 3 elk so far in 4 years for me. Is a lead alloy so holds together better than the PBs when pushed but has a tipped hollowpoint for good expansion up front. AND they are cheaper than Powerbelts.

But as much as I like to shoot, if the bullshops shoot well for me, they should be good elk medicine and be significantly cheaper. Probably use them with 777 at 80-90 gr.

Last edited by txhunter58; 04/08/13.

Venor ergo sum
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,528 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.