Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
I disagree Kevin.

The fact that they are God given is why they mean squat. The fact that rights are from God is why men do not have the ability to abolish them. It's because of God given rights that when men attempt to trample on them, we can justly defend those rights from tyrannical men.

If rights are not from God, then they do not exist as then they would only be that which is permitted by other men. They wouldn't be rights at all but mere permissions.

Well either way, MEN have to take up arms to defend what THEY recognize. And once they win that battle, then they have to continue to recognize such rights. The God part (and I�m a Christian) doesn�t mean squat unless MEN choose to recognize it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Where do YOUR rights come from? Mine come from our Creator.

The title of your post seems to direct the question at gun rights.
I'm not an athiest, but gun rights are constitutional rights, 2nd amendment.

The issue of rights has been tossed around carelessly in the media the past few years, i.e, 'right to healthcare', 'right to affordable home ownership', I saw one about a 'right to water'.
That's all a crock.
You can see exactly what your rights are in the Bill of Rights, aka, Constitution.

If you are talking about the scope of some higher authority - basic human rights, spiritual rights, etc. then the issue becomes more complicated and more difficult to define something as specific as gun rights.

"We hold these truths to be "SELF EVIDENT"............ are "ENDOWED BY THEIR CREATOR with certain inalienable rights....".

Our founding documents recognize the existence of certain rights that are not subject to revocation by government.The only authority higher than that of a Sovereign Nation necessarily is a Creator, and the Founders recognized that.

So, Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness,along with the means to defend those rights, come from a Creator God.

An Atheist saying;"... from my cold, dead, hand", just rings hollow to me.

grin

Which in theory is great, except in a practical sense, your rights are being restricted, deigned or revoked..

In a practical sense you only have the rights that are granted by the society you are in and/or the rights you are willing to fight for..

Then rights are a misnomer and all we have are societal permissions. If that's the case, then how do we have any position to contest them, as doing so would place us higher in authority than society. It's paradoxical.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I disagree Kevin.

The fact that they are God given is why they mean squat. The fact that rights are from God is why men do not have the ability to abolish them. It's because of God given rights that when men attempt to trample on them, we can justly defend those rights from tyrannical men.

If rights are not from God, then they do not exist as then they would only be that which is permitted by other men. They wouldn't be rights at all but mere permissions.

Well either way, MEN have to take up arms to defend what THEY recognize. And once they win that battle, then they have to continue to recognize such rights. The God part (and I�m a Christian) doesn�t mean squat unless MEN choose to recognize it.

A tyrant, a man, might not recognize it but it still exists. An entire society might not recognize it, but it still exists. I submit that recognition has little to do with it.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A tyrant, a man, might not recognize it but it still exists. An entire society might not recognize it, but it still exists. I submit that recognition has little to do with it.

You might have the right to wear blue socks, but the Government decree's otherwise and restricts your ability to buy blue socks and then makes being caught wearing them punishable by death, do you still have that right in a practical sense?

You might consider having a theoretical "right" morally justifies any action you take against the Government, but you would ether risk being killed or going through the Government judicatory system, which of course is stacked against you..

Getting back to reality, your Constitution provides a good degree of protection from this sort of abuse, but events since Sandy Hook since, there are people who would take your rights away in a heart beat..

Last edited by Pete E; 04/09/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You might have the right to wear blue socks, but the Government decree's otherwise and restricts your ability to buy blue socks and then makes being caught wearing them punishable by death, do you still have that right in a practical sense?

That isn't a right. That's a societal permission granted to a claim. Just because you claim something, doesn't make it a right. I'd also submit that just because society says you have permission to do something also does not make it a right.

You might consider having the theoretical right moral justifies any action you take against the Government, you would ether risk being killed or going through the Government judicatory system, which of course is stacked against you..
Can you rephrase this? I'm not exactly sure what you are saying here. smile

Getting back to reality, your Constitution provides a good degree of protection from this sort of abuse, but events show since Sandy Hook, their are people who would take your rights away in a heart beat..

The Constitution affords protections to God given rights mentioned in the Declaration of Independence. The fact that they are a right is why we have the moral authority to resist and fight tyranny and not just a permission slip from society.

Turdlike, by default.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Then rights are a misnomer and all we have are societal permissions. If that's the case, then how do we have any position to contest them, as doing so would place us higher in authority than society. It's paradoxical.

Look at history..look at British history for instance..we don't have the protections of your Constitution and historically one group have attacked and eroded the rights of others.

Northern Ireland in the 1960's is a perfect example. The Catholic minority were brute ally persecuted by Protestants who held power in all the local Government institutions. Catholics were basically deigned even the most basic human rights. Nothing in British law allowed them to take up arms but they did.

They didn't subscribe to any licensing conditions or back ground checks, they simply did what was needed and fought for their rights. Equally, the Protestants in power over there along with the British Government didn't capitulate, but tried to suppress them..

The same thing, with different groups and different politics is repeated through out British history going back at least 2000 years..

Hence why I believe that you only have the rights either granted by society around you and/or the rights your willing to fight for..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Pete, just a small hijack here...

Which choir is singing "Men of Harlech" in your signature? They're pretty amazing...

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You might consider having the theoretical right moral justifies any action you take against the Government, you would ether risk being killed or going through the Government judicatory system, which of course is stacked against you..

Edited so hope it makes more sense..

Sorry, please excuse my terrible typing and grammar; its getting late here and I'm flagging!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Which choir is singing "Men of Harlech" in your signature? They're pretty amazing...

Dixie Chicks.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Look at history..look at British history for instance..we don't have the protections of your Constitution and historically one group have attacked and eroded the rights of others.

Northern Ireland in the 1960's is a perfect example. The Catholic minority were brute ally persecuted by Protestants who held power in all the local Government institutions. Catholics were basically deigned even the most basic human rights. Nothing in British law allowed them to take up arms but they did.

They didn't subscribe to any licensing conditions or back ground checks, they simply did what was needed and fought for their rights. Equally, the Protestants in power over there along with the British Government didn't capitulate, but tried to suppress them..

The same thing, with different groups and different politics is repeated through out British history going back at least 2000 years..

Hence why I believe that you only have the rights either granted by society around you and/or the rights your willing to fight for..

You are kind of making my point here.

You use the phrase "Catholics were deigned even the most basic human rights" How can this be so if society defines a right and society was impeding on these "rights"? It's circular in thought and a paradox.

You also make the point that "They didn't subscribe to any licensing conditions or back ground checks, they simply did what was needed and fought for their rights. Equally, the Protestants in power over there along with the British Government didn't capitulate, but tried to suppress them.."

Fighting for a principle does not create a right. The right existed before anyone fought for it. What made them even think that they had these "rights" to fight for in the first place?

Turdlike, by default.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Will have to double check as I don't remember off the top of my head..

While very moving, its not the same as marching with fixed bayonets, behind the Fifes and Drums while they play that..as a Welshman it still makes me fell 10 feet tall...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Edited so hope it makes more sense..

Sorry, please excuse my terrible typing and grammar; its getting late here and I'm flagging!

Completely understandable! smile

I follow what you're saying there now, thank you. You've pretty much summed it up in later posts.

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I disagree Kevin.

If the UK is God fearing, where are their unalienable rights?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barkoff
I disagree Kevin.

Well Kevin's point is this, if the UK is God fearing, where are their unalienable rights?

Ever present. Just because they have surrendered them, does not make them nonexistent. The rights are still very present, and self evident, just not exercised.

Turdlike, by default.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by achadwick
Originally Posted by billhilly
Sure if a burglar does it his rights were violated.

But he had no rights because he could not defend the rights he had claimed. By that standard, no wrong was committed.

I don't agree with that, but either way .. the LAW was broken and that's what you go to jail for, not right or wrong, but legal vs illegal. Some people forget the difference.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You use the phrase "Catholics were deigned even the most basic human rights" How can this be so if society defines a right and society was impeding on these "rights"? It's circular in thought and a paradox.

You also make the point that "They didn't subscribe to any licensing conditions or back ground checks, they simply did what was needed and fought for their rights. Equally, the Protestants in power over there along with the British Government didn't capitulate, but tried to suppress them.."

Fighting for a principle does not create a right. The right existed before anyone fought for it. What made them even think that they had these "rights" to fight for in the first place?

I think you are looking too deeply into it..

From a British perspective, basically regardless of the fine print, flowery talk, the theorizing or moralizing over rights and wrongs, push us too far, and the bottom line is we will take up arms; history demonstrates this has happened time and time again. We need no higher authority from man, Government or God to do this, we do it because we can..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Will have to double check as I don't remember off the top of my head..

While very moving, its not the same as marching with fixed bayonets, behind the Fifes and Drums while they play that..as a Welshman it still makes me fell 10 feet tall...

As it should, sir!

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think you are looking too deeply into it..

From a British perspective, basically regardless of the fine print, flowery talk, the theorizing or moralizing over rights and wrongs, push us too far, and the bottom line is we will take up arms; history demonstrates this has happened time and time again.

It's a deep subject and one that originates in British and French minds! grin

This thread will still be here tomorrow amigo. You should get some rest.

Turdlike, by default.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I

===================

Where in any Bible does it say that? Common men stated we have rights endowed by a Creator. Did those men have the rightful arrogance to bestow something from a God upon you?

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RISJR

===================

Where in any Bible does it say that? Common men stated we have rights endowed by a Creator. Did those men have the rightful arrogance to bestow something from a God upon you?

Bob, the Bible is full of references where God is the giver of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Do you really need me to post them?

Man's arrogance would be to say that they themselves are the giver of rights...

Turdlike, by default.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (8MMX57JS, 01Foreman400, 79S, AB2506, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 933 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,096
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.